What's new

Star Trek: The Motion Picture (1979) (1 Viewer)

holtge

Screenwriter
Real Name
Gordon Holt
Next year is the motion pictures 40th anniversary as well.

I’m hopeful that paramount will give customers choice. They are not doing so by offering only digital format.

Agreed, but this is Paramount we're talking about. They haven't exactly had the best track record when it comes to releasing 4K HD discs for their back-catalog.

Osato

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tim
Agreed, but this is Paramount we're talking about. They haven't exactly had the best track record when it comes to releasing 4K HD discs for their back-catalog.

Mission impossible films were issued this year.

Anything older???

Colin Jacobson

Senior HTF Member
Mission impossible films were issued this year.

Anything older???

"Forrest Gump" is older, as is "Braveheart", though not by much vs. the 1st "M:I" from 1996.

I actually thought Paramount was doing a pretty good job for a while there - they were pumping out a bunch of older titles on 4K.

But it's correct that they've not gone too far back, as I can't think of anything that predates "Gump".

I'm sure they'd love to release the Indiana Jones movies - and "Titanic"!

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
Gump, Red October and Grease are all good movies and has mainstream popularity. Maybe not as much with Red October. So ignoring the internal battles and other issues with the Redstone family and whatever else is going on at Paramount, it appears the Home Video department is still functioning and putting out material. My impression that the key person, Ron Smith who was there who did the restoration for The 10 Commandments and other classics has left and with him, any hope other projects of that scale will be done for some time for the legacy films in the studio’s library.

I can see it makes sense financially for Paramount to remaster the above films as they know they will make a return on investment. It’s unfortunate the management there might not feel the same about Star Trek films in general and especially the TOS films. (Ignoring the new Kelvin Timeline films)

It’s also a shame if there is still a misunderstanding of the financial cost of the first film and combining that with the idea that Star Trek The Motion Picture is not good. I do accept that it’s not as popular as the second film, the Wroth of Khan. (As Shatner once pronounced it) The Motion Picture and the Directors Edition are legacy now and I really hope when the dust settles from the management, a new prime directive will be established to fund and restore the legacy films and give the Star Trek films a good restoration and remaster. Especially The Motion Picture, which without, there would be no Star Trek Franchise today.

Last edited:

Osato

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tim
Gump, Red October and Grease are all good movies and has mainstream popularity. Maybe not as much with Red October. So ignoring the internal battles and other issues with the Redstone family and whatever else is going on at Paramount, it appears the Home Video department is still functioning and putting out material. My impression that the key person, Ron Smith who was there who did the restoration for The 10 Commandments and other classics has left and with him, any hope other projects of that scale will be done for some time for the legacy films in the studio’s library.

I can see it makes sense financially for Paramount to remaster the above films as they know they will make a return on investment. It’s unfortunate the management there might not feel the same about Star Trek films in general and especially the TOS films. (Ignoring the new Kelvin Timeline films)

It’s also a shame if there is still a misunderstanding of the financial cost of the first film and combining that with the idea that Star Trek The Motion Picture is not good. I do accept that it’s not as popular as the second film, the Wroth of Khan. (As Shatner once pronounced it) The Motion Picture and the Directors Edition are legacy now and I really hope when the dust settles from the management, a new prime directive will be established to fund and restore the legacy films and give the Star Trek films a good restoration and remaster. Especially The Motion Picture, which without, there would be no Star Trek Franchise today.

100% agreed.

If the next feature film ever gets made it would make the most sense for a new 4K UHd blu ray set of the films.

We do know that wrath of khan was given a full 4K mastering. All of the other films are unknown.

It’s so sad how secretive it has become without the home video divisions..

It would be great if paramount would honor the 40th of the motion picture!!

Jason_V

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason
Happy 39th Anniversary to the Star Trek TMP premiere!

It feels like it was just yesterday standing in line and watching it that night.

Thank you for the reminder, Nelson! I'll be spinning one of the five discs (2 releases) I have shortly to celebrate.

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
You’re welcome! I’ll try to do the same, and I should finally find the time to read the book Return to Tomorrow on the journey to the making of the film too.

B-ROLL

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bryan
Happy 39th Anniversary to the Star Trek TMP premiere!

It feels like it was just yesterday standing in line and watching it that night.
Too bad you can,t reproduce the wet print effect to fully have the experience again ;)

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
Peter, I remember feeling similarly about how they’d aged, but I didn’t think they were too bad. Nimoy’s make-up didn’t do him any favors.

What I still remember is an episode of 20/20 that aired before the premiere. It had a segment that showcased the film. I remember vividly Hugh Downs saying afterwards, the years had been kind. ( to the cast ). I wonder if that 20/20 is on YouTube, I’ll have a look to see.

Colin Jacobson

Senior HTF Member
Still my favorite of all the Star Trek films. Can't forget my reaction after the opening night show, "They look so old" - little did we know they'd go on for another 5 films.

Crazy to think it was only 10 years between the end of TOS and the first movie! Seemed like an eternity.

Depressing to realize that Shatner and Nimoy circa 1979 were younger than I am now! :(

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Gigaspin88
Recent bookmarks