What's new

Paramount+ Theatrical Star Trek: The Motion Picture (1979) (1 Viewer)

BobO'Link

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Howie
Sure for those of us who want physical media. Or Blu Ray.

If you just stick with DVD tho, there hasn't been a home video release of the original effects prints since 2004.
TOS is the exact title that got me to finally upgrade to Blu Ray and it was 100% worth it (though their *are* some audio issues that effect *all* episodes, CGI vfx or original vfx) both for TOS *and* the many, many, other movies and TV series that just look better, have the correct aspect ratio, and more on BR *or* never got a DVD release. TNG looks spectacular on BR (a huge improvement over the DVDs).

jcroy

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
jr
If you just stick with DVD tho, there hasn't been a home video release of the original effects prints since 2004.

(As an aside).

I remember when all the old 2004 ST:TOS dvd sets (in the tricorder shaped packaging) were being dumped at the nearby Costco outlets. It was very tempting to buy for around $30 a pop, but I had to say no.

By then, I suspect there might be an hd-dvd or bluray release in the then near-future. (I wasn't paying attention to dvd, hd-dvd, bluray at the time).

ScottRE

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott
TOS is the exact title that got me to finally upgrade to Blu Ray and it was 100% worth it (though their *are* some audio issues that effect *all* episodes, CGI vfx or original vfx) both for TOS *and* the many, many, other movies and TV series that just look better, have the correct aspect ratio, and more on BR *or* never got a DVD release. TNG looks spectacular on BR (a huge improvement over the DVDs).
I hopped on board the HD-DVD train because of the TOS-R release. Even with the clarity of image, the "mono" sound mix is very disappointing. I actually find the DVD sound mix to be more pleasant and a better compromise. I'll go to my grave championing the return of the true "night of original broadcast" sound mix, but if I had to choose between the hot mess of the Blu Ray mixes or the DVDs, the DVDs get my vote. I also would rather NOT see Shatner's toupee line or Nimoy's ear seams. SO when I'm not watching the laserdiscs, I'm popping in the DVDs,

Osato

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tim
I hopped on board the HD-DVD train because of the TOS-R release. Even with the clarity of image, the "mono" sound mix is very disappointing. I actually find the DVD sound mix to be more pleasant and a better compromise. I'll go to my grave championing the return of the true "night of original broadcast" sound mix, but if I had to choose between the hot mess of the Blu Ray mixes or the DVDs, the DVDs get my vote. I also would rather NOT see Shatner's toupee line or Nimoy's ear seams. SO when I'm not watching the laserdiscs, I'm popping in the DVDs,

I ordered the hd-dvd set almost to the day hd-dvd lost the format war. I returned the set unopened.

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
Startrek.com has an interview with David C. Fein and the new trailer for the remastered Star Trek The Motion Picture. Hurrah!

Premier info: https://www.startrek.com/news/star-...ion-to-premiere-on-paramount-on-first-contact

Also very exciting that the 4K UHD blu ray release date is in September.

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
Very exciting to read the interview with David C Fein and the things that were done for this remaster, including a missing scene thats re-inserted into the film. I think there will be some who prefer the theatrical cut and the sounds of that cut. This new cut will have new sound and is the Wise cut. It sounds like it will be different not only visually with the upgraded effects, but narratively it’s tighter and clearer. I’m really looking forward to seeing it.

The Fathom event is May 22 to 25, then the 4K UHD disc will be out in September.

Osato

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tim
Very exciting to read the interview with David C Fein and the things that were done for this remaster, including a missing scene thats re-inserted into the film. I think there will be some who prefer the theatrical cut and the sounds of that cut. This new cut will have new sound and is the Wise cut. It sounds like it will be different not only visually with the upgraded effects, but narratively it’s tighter and clearer. I’m really looking forward to seeing it.

The Fathom event is May 22 to 25, then the 4K UHD disc will be out in September.

Can’t wait!!!!

trevanian

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Kevin
I think there will be some who prefer the theatrical cut and the sounds of that cut. This new cut will have new sound and is the Wise cut.
Count me among them, as I find the director's cut version of the wormhole sound to be utterly abysmal, sounding monotonous and also injurious to the scene (and that's just one of dozens of complaints I have with what they did to the film, since most of their 'enhancements' just exchanged one subpar visual for another, instead of going back to the original work that was completed and discarded or there wasn't time enough to include in ... there is an original Yuricich painting of Vulcan that was completed before Trumbull came on that looked excellent and not like this THIRD ROCK FROM THE SUN version with all these moons caroming around in the sky, and there was at least one shot near the end of the crew on top of the saucer walking to vger that they didn't have time to cut into the theatrical. Plus there was another finished shot -- side view of the GG bridge as the tram crosses -- that has been seen in still form and was completed, but was left out of the final film, along with a closeup of the tram flying over camera that was in the longish original TMP theatrical trailer, the one you see on youtube that also shows how the asteroid debris was supposed to break up on the ship's forcefield. )

What I find strangely contradictory about the idea of the 2001 version or this new one as being more representative of Wise's intent is the fact he wrote letters to the original theatrical sound effects crew commending their work, one in particular being just for the wormhole sequence sound. Did he write these kind of laudatory remarks to the Robert Abel company after they were fired off the film as well? Kinda don't think so.

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
Jack Ryan to Captain Bart Mancuso: Give the man a chance.

It’s been probably 10 years since I’ve watched the 2001 Directors Edition DVD as the 2009 blu ray just is a more pleasant viewing experience in terms of image quality. So I can’t recall exactly the sound changes in the wormhole sequence. But I didn’t recall it sounding that different from the theatrical cut.

And I havent checked the old laserdisc of the theatrical cut to compare to the 2021 4K blu ray of The Motion Picture. It’s been so long since I’ve seen that laser disc that I can’t tell for sure if the sound effects sound track has remained unchanged in the new 4K blu ray remaster. As far as I can tell, the sound remains more or less the same. ( I just may try to rip and watch the laserdisc now that I think about it )

As long as there’s not been massive wholesale changes, if the movie sounds more or less the same as it did in 1979, I’m the type that can overlook little tweaks. So if the 2021 4K UHD remastered theatrical cut is pretty much the 1979 sound then we have that to enjoy if that’s one’s preference. ( I suspect we are seeing the 1979 cut as the Enterprise leaving space dock is flawed with that one shot that’s out of focus. though they did digitally remove the mount on the starboard side of the Enterprise model. And Commander Branch on Epsilon 9 still says the cloud is over 82 AU’s in diameter. )

Just like TOS, we have a high quality release of the series in its original effects and more or less sound. And I prefer that version over the remastered effects version.

I have faith in Messrs Fein and Dochterman and the rest of the team to have stayed true to Robert Wise’s directions for this new 2022 edition of Star Trek The Motion Picture. But being the huge fans they are of this film, I’m sure they might have let their enthusiasm tweak some of the new effects shots more then they should have. ( The overall shot of V’Ger in the trailer does look a little like an over done light show) The thing I’m super excited about is we now will have two high quality versions of the film, the theatrical cut and the Directors Edition. They may never be exactly perfect or meet every fan’s wish. We can’t always get what we want unfortunately. Being human, the people doing these remasters I’m sure took some liberties to sweeten things here and there to make the product as good as they feel it can be. ( Such as digitally removing wires or the mount on the side of the Enterprise in this case) it’s sort of like people doing classic car restorations, they may enhance some things to make the car better then when it left the factory.

I’m really glad I have not watched the 2001 DVD for such a long time. It should be as exciting to see this new DE as it was when the DVD first came out, to see the revised edit of the story and the added effects shots that time did not allow for to finish in 1979.

Osato

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tim
Jack Ryan to Captain Bart Mancuso: Give the man a chance.

It’s been probably 10 years since I’ve watched the 2001 Directors Edition DVD as the 2009 blu ray just is a more pleasant viewing experience in terms of image quality. So I can’t recall exactly the sound changes in the wormhole sequence. But I didn’t recall it sounding that different from the theatrical cut.

And I havent checked the old laserdisc of the theatrical cut to compare to the 2021 4K blu ray of The Motion Picture. It’s been so long since I’ve seen that laser disc that I can’t tell for sure if the sound effects sound track has remained unchanged in the new 4K blu ray remaster. As far as I can tell, the sound remains more or less the same. ( I just may try to rip and watch the laserdisc now that I think about it )

As long as there’s not been massive wholesale changes, if the movie sounds more or less the same as it did in 1979, I’m the type that can overlook little tweaks. So if the 2021 4K UHD remastered theatrical cut is pretty much the 1979 sound then we have that to enjoy if that’s one’s preference. ( I suspect we are seeing the 1979 cut as the Enterprise leaving space dock is flawed with that one shot that’s out of focus. though they did digitally remove the mount on the starboard side of the Enterprise model. And Commander Branch on Epsilon 9 still says the cloud is over 82 AU’s in diameter. )

Just like TOS, we have a high quality release of the series in its original effects and more or less sound. And I prefer that version over the remastered effects version.

I have faith in Messrs Fein and Dochterman and the rest of the team to have stayed true to Robert Wise’s directions for this new 2022 edition of Star Trek The Motion Picture. But being the huge fans they are of this film, I’m sure they might have let their enthusiasm tweak some of the new effects shots more then they should have. ( The overall shot of V’Ger in the trailer does look a little like an over done light show) The thing I’m super excited about is we now will have two high quality versions of the film, the theatrical cut and the Directors Edition. They may never be exactly perfect or meet every fan’s wish. We can’t always get what we want unfortunately. Being human, the people doing these remasters I’m sure took some liberties to sweeten things here and there to make the product as good as they feel it can be. ( Such as digitally removing wires or the mount on the side of the Enterprise in this case) it’s sort of like people doing classic car restorations, they may enhance some things to make the car better then when it left the factory.

I’m really glad I have not watched the 2001 DVD for such a long time. It should be as exciting to see this new DE as it was when the DVD first came out, to see the revised edit of the story and the added effects shots that time did not allow for to finish in 1979.

Agreed.

Sam Favate

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Favate
Holy smokes! I never thought this film would look this good. It’s really incredible.

I hope everyone who is interested can watch it this week. Let’s send a strong message to Paramount that we will support works like this. Maybe that’ll nudge them to upgrade DS9 and Voyager.

I will say that P+ could have made this easier to find by highlighting it on the main page. I literally had to search for it to find it.

I couldn’t be more pleased with the end result. It’s majestic. I anxiously await the 4K disc. That’s the only thing that could make it look better.

I’ve always liked TMP. I don’t think I’ve ever appreciated it more.

Last edited:

ScottRE

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott
Holy smokes! I never thought this film would look this good. It’s really incredible.

I hope everyone who is interested can watch it this week. Let’s send a strong message to Paramount that we will support works like this. Maybe that’ll nudge them to upgrade DS9 and Voyager.

I will say that P+ could have made this easier to find by highlighting it on the main page. I literally had to search for it to find it.

I couldn’t be more pleased with the end result. It’s majestic. I anxiously await the 4K disc. That’s the only thing that could make it look better.

It came right up for me. First thing highlighted

EDE535DF-8D1F-4F85-8444-C64A740AA99E.jpeg

benbess

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ben
Enjoyed watching this with the family. The director's edition is better from our pov. Better looking FX! The clarity of the scenes on Vulcan are really improved. The added character moments with Dr. Chapel etc. were nice.

Would love to see DS9 and Voyager remastered as well.

Peter Apruzzese

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Peter Apruzzese
Just finished watching and enjoyed every minute of it. I haven’t watched the 2000 DVD in quite a while so I can’t comment on any adjustments from that other than to note that they toned down the sound effects on the bridge in this version (to the better). And they fixed (as best they could) the V’ger probe split screen effect. Plus they fixed the continuity goof in the final scene in the bridge.

Sam Favate

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Favate
I've seen a lot of discussion of this film in this forum and others, and there are actually people complaining about spoilers! The base film here is 42 years old! And this cut (minus the 4k) is 21! The statute of limitations for spoilers has expired.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks