What's new

Star Trek: Strange New Worlds (2022) - Season 1 (1 Viewer)

jayembee

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jerry
It's about time Paramount started releasing these on UHD. I was wondering if that would be happening after they did UHD releases of Halo, Jack Ryan, and Reacher.

A 5/16 street also pretty much confirms that SNW S2 be next to stream after Picard S3 (which should be ending on 4/20).

Sean Bryan

Sean Bryan
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sean
4K UHD Blu-Ray physical release of Season One streeting on 5/16 :

b7c3b7a4bb8bc266a517106bd9599927_S.jpg

Steelbook-only at the moment, but a non-Steel release could still happen, according to the link.

Mine!

Jason_V

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason
I started listening to a SNW review podcast yesterday…I’m almost done with the entire first season tonight. It’s really given me another appreciation for the show, a show I really liked when it came out last year. And I just finished a rewatch of the premiere.

There’s a great flow and introduction to the characters in this episode. It left me hopeful and uncomfortable at the same time, which is a great things for a TV show. The ending, which uses real footage of some recent low points in the US, just hits home…a little uncomfortably so.

I didn’t make the connection last year, but I wonder if this is how people in the 60s felt when TOS was commenting pointedly about the issues of their day. As much as the other shows talked about the things we were experiencing in the real world, I think SNW hits me more. It has stayed with me for almost a year.

This may all sound like gibberish…it’s been a long day and I’m a bit under the weather. :)

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
Not gibberish. :)

I can’t wait for the blu ray of the first season to come out too! Of course I can re-visit the series in Paramount+. But I’m waiting for the discs. I guess we have the third season of Picard to help us wait till March 21. I can slog through this final season of Picard to help us in the wait. It’s been so un-eventful. ;) I’ll probably get the 4K release on May 16th to see how that looks.

Jason_V

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason
I can’t wait for the blu ray of the first season to come out too! Of course I can re-visit the series in Paramount+. But I’m waiting for the discs. I guess we have the third season of Picard to help us wait till March 21. I can slog through this final season of Picard to help us in the wait. It’s been so un-eventful. ;) I’ll probably get the 4K release on May 16th to see how that looks.

I'm also strongly considering the 4k release of Season 1. I haven't bought physical media in over 2 years for different reasons, but I would LOVE for all the other current Trek shows to make it to that format. Maybe show TPTB there is a market for these things and motivate them to give a DS9/VOY HD upgrade more serious thought.

Also: not-so-patiently waiting for a Strange New Worlds soundtrack. Hint hint... :)

ManW_TheUncool

His Own Fool
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
ManW
I only just recently, finally got around to watching this. Some (mostly relatively minor) aspects felt a bit of a letdown for me, but definitely enjoyed it a good deal overall. Might need to rewatch it sometime later this year (or at least before the next/new season comes out). Certainly looking forward to more...

_Man_

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
I'm also strongly considering the 4k release of Season 1. I haven't bought physical media in over 2 years for different reasons, but I would LOVE for all the other current Trek shows to make it to that format. Maybe show TPTB there is a market for these things and motivate them to give a DS9/VOY HD upgrade more serious thought.

Also: not-so-patiently waiting for a Strange New Worlds soundtrack. Hint hint... :)

If the 4K release is a combo pack, I’ll future proof myself and get it. If it’s not, I’ll grab the BD. Whatever the format, it’s a good show - I just wish they did more episodes per season. The shorter seasons make more sense for the serialized shows but for episodic shows I prefer a higher episode count.

Philip Verdieck

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Philip Verdieck
Holy crap! 4K for TV Trek.

Time to put this on the list.

The last ST media I bought was STD S1 and S2. At this point I can't convince myself other seasons are worth buying.

I had been delaying on Picard, but that was obviously on the list.

Last edited:

Jason_V

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason
It’s gotta be the next show to premiere after Picard wraps, right? We know it won’t be Discovery…that’s coming next year. Lower Decks is typically a summer show. Not a whiff of anything from Prodigy. So that leaves SNW.

Or I’m just trying to bring logic to all of this based on what we know right now.

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
It’s gotta be the next show to premiere after Picard wraps, right? We know it won’t be Discovery…that’s coming next year. Lower Decks is typically a summer show. Not a whiff of anything from Prodigy. So that leaves SNW.

Or I’m just trying to bring logic to all of this based on what we know right now.

I think that’s a very logical guess.

Discovery is being held until 2024, because nothing says respect for your audience like a three year gap of a short season show.

They had mentioned season two of Strange New Worlds went into production basically the moment the first season wrapped, so I have to believe that’s up next.

The initial Prodigy premiere had been in the fall of 2021 and the second batch of ten episodes was fall 2022, so I wouldn’t be surprised to see that following the same pattern.

The only question is, having fallen short of their stated goal of having a new Trek episode streaming most weeks, will they bump SNW to later in the year to make up for that shortfall?

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
It would be unfortunate if SNW is delayed to make up for a shortfall.

Strange New Worlds premiered May 5th 2022 and the last episode went on line July 7th. So if they follow that pattern, the second season makes sense to premiere in May after Picard Season 3 wraps In late April.

And the blu ray of SNW Season One will be released March 21. It all points to May for Season 2. :)

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
The only question is, having fallen short of their stated goal of having a new Trek episode streaming most weeks, will they bump SNW to later in the year to make up for that shortfall?
I think it's safe to say that that goal has been abandoned as Paramount+ (along with the other major streaming services) have drastically scaled back their plans for original content in order to achieve the cost cutting that Wall Street is demanding.

I think we'll get SNW Season 2 sometime this year, but that will be the only live action Trek we'll be getting this year once "Picard" wraps up. Next year will have the final run of "Discovery" and maybe SNW Season 3 in the fall. Unless we get another live action series announced fairly soon, SNW is going to be it for the foreseeable future.

jayembee

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jerry

Just based on the fact that SNW S1 is being released on disc this week, I'd say it's a safe bet that S2 is next in line for streaming.

Lower Decks S3 is being released on disc late next month, so that's likely to be next after SNW.

Sam Favate

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Favate
I think SNW will become the Star Trek flagship for P+. They seem to know they've got something there that resonates in a way that Discovery never did.
Also, with the success of Picard S3, it has to be more likely than not that Paramount will retain Terry Matalas for another show set in the 25th century.

jayembee

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jerry
Just based on the fact that SNW S1 is being released on disc this week, I'd say it's a safe bet that S2 is next in line for streaming.

I was a bit disappointed when I went to Bull Moose yesterday, and there was no UHD of SNW. I didn't notice (apparently) that while the Blu-ray (both standard and SteelBook) came out this week, the UHD SteelBook isn't due out until 5/16.

Could be a random delay, or an indication that maybe the new season will start that week.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
foster2292
Recent bookmarks