What's new
Signup for GameFly to rent the newest 4k UHD movies!

Star Trek Motion Picture Collections Re-Release (1 Viewer)

classictvfan91

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Ian Hayden
To Paramount Home Entertainment:
I would like to suggest a re-release of the Star Trek Original Motion Pictures Blu-Ray Collection.
The re-release should include, through seamless branching, the extended versions of Star Trek: The Motion Picture, Star Trek II: The Wrath of Khan, and Star Trek VI: The Undiscovered Country.
Also, a 16-minute interview with Leonard Nimoy from the Director's Series VHS of Star Trek IV should be included.
Here is some additional material for the re-release:
• A 13-minute teaser reel for STAR TREK: THE MOTION PICTURE;
• The 1981-82 ShoWest trailer for STAR TREK II that featured additional scenes not shown in any cut of the film, including the scene that clarifies Saavik's half-Romulan origins;
• The alternate take of Kirk and Saavik's discussion in the turbolift from the extended TV broadcasts of STAR TREK II
• A 30-second teaser trailer for STAR TREK III
• A "coming soon" trailer for STAR TREK IV comprised entirely of footage from III;
• The four-minute European prologue to STAR TREK IV, which has never been seen in the United States in any capacity whatsoever;
• EPK segments (and TV interviews) from III, IV, and V
• All TV spots from II, III, IV, and VI;
• Never-released deleted scenes from STAR TREK VI (which were shown in the theatrical trailer to the film), including more action during the final battle and an elaborate entrance sequence at the start of the Khitomer Conference; and
• Alternate takes of footage from STAR TREK VI (which were included in the STAR TREK 25th Anniversary Special).
And there is a lot of unreleased material that should be included.
The previous edition of The Motion Picture's remaining extras were not included - among them the original audio commentary, the ENTERPRISE TV spot, the "Event/Common Experience" TV spot from 1979, the "Memory Walk" outtake sequence, the Director's Edition trailer, and the three documentaries ("Phase II - The Lost Series", "A Bold New Enterprise", and "Redirecting the Future"). They should be included on the re-release.
The STAR TREK 25th Anniversary Special should be included.
All theatrical trailers for the movies should be included in the re-release (in high definition).
Commercials with the cast and characters of the Original Series should be included in the re-release.
Star Treks III, IV and VI need some restoring/remastering for the re-release.
The text commentaries from the DVDs should be included in the re-releases.
The Next Generation Motion Pictures Blu-Ray Collection should also be re-released.
For "First Contact", there is some additional material that should be included: deleted scenes, TV spots (which should be included for all four movies), the HBO First Look special on "First Contact", and a photo gallery of poster design concepts.
Generations, First Contact, and Insurrection should be restored and remastered in HD for the re-release.
English subtitles should be included for all the movies and the special features.

Mark-P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mark Probst
I believe the reason none of the Blu-rays included the extended editions of the movies is because all of the extra footage was only completed in standard definition, and like The Next Generation would have to have the special effects of the extended cuts re-rendered in high def. Since Paramount is pouring all that money into re-doing Next Generation, I have no doubt they will eventually re-do the extended cuts of the movies for Blu-ray.

Lord Dalek

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joel Henderson
The original commentary for ST:TMP (which was pretty bad IMHO, no thanks to Robert Wise's declining health at the time) applied directly to the 2001 Director's Edition and therefore could not be included with the current blu-ray.

The tv spots are currently getting "remastered" (or more precisely, recreated) in HD by Darren Dochterman as a time-passing exercise.

And a lot of this stuff you want is redundant ephemera (seriously? The Enterprise promo? Why?!?).

classictvfan91

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Ian Hayden
Some of the "ephemera" (except for the Enterprise promo) would be good to see, and should be included, so the sets can be completed.

Douglas Monce

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Douglas Monce
Mark-P said:
I believe the reason none of the Blu-rays included the extended editions of the movies is because all of the extra footage was only completed in standard definition, and like The Next Generation would have to have the special effects of the extended cuts re-rendered in high def. Since Paramount is pouring all that money into re-doing Next Generation, I have no doubt they will eventually re-do the extended cuts of the movies for Blu-ray.
CBS is pouring money into TNG. Paramount is an entirely separate company that happens to have the same parent.
Doug

Joseph Bolus

Senior HTF Member
Reggie W said:
So are the new single releases of these films just the same as on this collection?
I believe so. The "hook" for these releases is that all of the movies are now available on Blu-ray outside of the various boxed collections. I think that only Best Buy had BD single release titles (very sporadically) available up to this point.

FoxyMulder

映画ファン
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
If Paramount want my money they are going to have to try much harder in giving me what i want, i'm easy to please, just do new 4K film scans of them all, include the extended scenes, the directors cuts, in fact do seamless branching and give us a choice of theatrical and extended directors cuts and don't degrain, don't oversharpen anything and don't add lots of unneccesary processing, get the colour timing right, oh and a nice healthy bitrate, audio commentaries, lots of extras on another disc, that is deleted scenes, bloopers, trailers, making of features and all that jazz, really just put everything you can on the extra disc, do all this and release at a reasonable price, don't put in a large boxset, let me buy separate releases and build the collection up one at a time, do all this and you have my money. ;)

Richard V

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Richard
FoxyMulder said:
If Paramount want my money they are going to have to try much harder in giving me what i want, i'm easy to please, just do new 4K film scans of them all, include the extended scenes, the directors cuts, in fact do seamless branching and give us a choice of theatrical and extended directors cuts and don't degrain, don't oversharpen anything and don't add lots of unneccesary processing, get the colour timing right, oh and a nice healthy bitrate, audio commentaries, lots of extras on another disc, that is deleted scenes, bloopers, trailers, making of features and all that jazz, really just put everything you can on the extra disc, do all this and release at a reasonable price, don't put in a large boxset, let me buy separate releases and build the collection up one at a time, do all this and you have my money. ;)
You forgot : carry moonbeams home in a jar.

Lromero1396

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Leon Romero
FoxyMulder said:
This is precisely what every studio should do.

Paramount is probably waiting for the next Star Trek film to be released before any work is done on the classic Star Trek films.

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
Btw, all these films are currently only $5 with the BB upgrade and save coupons.

Chuck Anstey

Screenwriter
Real Name
Chuck Anstey
I'm a little easier to please. I only want (and I think it is quite reasonable for any release)
FoxyMulder said:
If Paramount want my money they are going to have to try much harder in giving me what i want, i'm easy to please, just do new 4K film scans of them all, include the extended scenes, the directors cuts, in fact do seamless branching and give us a choice of theatrical and extended directors cuts and don't degrain, don't oversharpen anything and don't add lots of unneccesary processing, get the colour timing right,
The extras can be nice but I don't really care all that much. I want the reasonably best presentation in my home. I don't quite need a frame by frame by-hand inspection and adjustment or a complete redo of the special effects (original included by seamless branching / separate disc required) but I'll take it if it is offered.

Sam Favate

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Favate
Lromero1396 said:
Paramount is probably waiting for the next Star Trek film to be released before any work is done on the classic Star Trek films.
You mean in two weeks?

If there is no blu-ray or DVD release by the end of the year to tie into the new JJ Abrams movie, Paramount will have really dropped the ball, to the point where their entire home video leadership should be replaced. If you can't muster up the effort to tie into a film the studio is spending hundreds of millions on - and which will generate hundreds of millions - you're doing something wrong.

Keep in mind we are talking about Paramount, and not CBS, which is doing great work with the TV Treks on blu-ray.

Jonathan Perregaux

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jonathan Perregaux
Just hire JJ Abrams and his pals to oversee redoing the STTMP Director's Cut VFX. Sure we'll get lens flares, but at leat it'll get done and look great.

andySu

Senior HTF Member
FoxyMulder said:
Yeah I want 100% mirrored version to the 70mm release Dolby TrueHD 5.1 with mono surrounds as it should be. No 7.1 mix. Keep them all like release prints no DNR no EE no dodgy colour. And extras lets have them with isolated Dolby Digital 5.1.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sitcomguy
Recent bookmarks