What's new

Star Trek II: The Wrath of Khan: Director's Cut (Blu-ray) Available for Preorder (1 Viewer)

Dale MA

Screenwriter
Real Name
Dale
Received my corrected disc here in the UK yesterday. Very happy with Paramount's customer service.

Camper

Supporting Actor
Real Name
David Dennis
Reading about a minor "glitch" on the menu page.
When you load the disc and the main page comes up and you select "extras"-- when you try to select "commentary by Meyer and Cota" it SKIPS over that choice and won't allow you to select it . That is a "theatrical version only" choice (as is "library computer") -- except you CAN select the library computer feature from the main menu.
TO play the commentary in question you need to first chose which version of the movie and then click on the commentary. Very clunky that the main menu offers two "theatrical version only" features -- one of which CAN be selected and another that CAN'T -- but must be selected in a round about manner.
In any case the feature is playable so it isn't a big deal.

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
I didnt see it mentioned in the first post so I ask if someome can say how to tell
if a on shelf one has the correct disc?

it's either oos or no longer offered on amamzon right now.

Rodney

Premium
Senior HTF Member
FedEx dropped off my corrected version yesterday. Came with the movie ticket sticker and the gold band.

I am glad that Paramount took care of the problem, but they still need to copy a page from Warner on customer service. I had to contact them twice before getting the mailer sent to me.

The important thing though, is that the blu-ray looks fantastic. Watched the first 30 or so minutes of the movie, and it just looks great.
Ricardo Montalban was a great Kahn!

Lou Sytsma

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Lou Sytsma
Sweet service in Canada. I too didn't even have to return the defective disc. Got the new one about a week after contacting them. Steady as she goes.

Last edited:

B-ROLL

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bryan
FedEx dropped off my corrected version yesterday. Came with the movie ticket sticker and the gold band.

I am glad that Paramount took care of the problem, but they still need to copy a page from Warner on customer service. I had to contact them twice before getting the mailer sent to me.

The important thing though, is that the blu-ray looks fantastic. Watched the first 30 or so minutes of the movie, and it just looks great.
Ricardo Montalban was a great Kahn!
He should have at least been nominated as Breast Supporting Actor (keep in mind he was shooting Fantasy Island at the time and this was just a side gig)
rico-khan.jpg

Camper

Supporting Actor
Real Name
David Dennis
That was never going to happen. Ever. Mainstream critics of the time thought it was a hammy over the top performance. Some even complained "Why Montalban?" -- completely unaware he was reprising the role he created.
They had no clue the whole character was innately larger than life and not just a case of overacting.
Trek never got respect in those days.

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
I think that was a joke Camper. "Breast" supporting actor?[emoji13]

B-ROLL

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bryan
I think that was a joke Camper. "Breast" supporting actor?[emoji13]
It was actually both, But sci-fi acting was almost never taken seriously by the Academy ...

I'm sure he would have won and MTV Movie Award though ...

Camper

Supporting Actor
Real Name
David Dennis
LOL. I did miss that!
But is it real? "only his make-up man knows for sure."

Koenig told a story about Khan, where he said to Shatner that Shatner's performance was good enough for an Oscar nomination -- if it were not in the sci fi movie.

Of the 4 supporting actors, Koenig had the least hate for Shatner -- at least in those days.

Johnny Angell

Played With Dinosaurs Member
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
LOL. I did miss that!
But is it real? "only his make-up man knows for sure."

Koenig told a story about Khan, where he said to Shatner that Shatner's performance was good enough for an Oscar nomination -- if it were not in the sci fi movie.

Of the 4 supporting actors, Koenig had the least hate for Shatner -- at least in those days.
In the commentary and maybe in the tribute to him it was made clear those pecs were really his.

Camper

Supporting Actor
Real Name
David Dennis
Yes, I know.

I never understood that ridiculous theory.

With as tight a budget and as pressed for time -- how idiotic that they would have wasted both giving him a fake chest?

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
I remember back in the day when Entertainment Tonight was reporting on the movie, the female corespondent interviewing Ricardo Montalban sheepishly asked if that was his real chest. He said yes. He did a lot of push-ups in preparation for the role as Khan is a powerful man.

B-ROLL

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bryan
Nice interview with Kirstie. Strange she was not included in Star Trek 3...

http://www.startrek.com/article/catching-up-with-kirstie-alley
It was about the money ... AFIK she was offered the same $ as when she did STII-TWOK. Which as a first gig was good money. Because she had become known and expected more ... Kristie (who wanted the big one ;) ) went down another Alley. She ended up eventually in a pub ,,, and STIII went with Robin Curtis ;) )

in the words of another poster ...
o-CHEERS-facebook.jpg

Johnny Angell

Played With Dinosaurs Member
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
Nice interview with Kirstie. Strange she was not included in Star Trek 3...

http://www.startrek.com/article/catching-up-with-kirstie-alley
I had always assumed, til reading the article, that she had gotten a big head and asked for way too much money. So she's a hit in the II and for a bigger part in III they want to pay her less. I don't blame her for turning it down. I have to think it was some bean counter's decision.

Did they cut the budget for III?

B-ROLL

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bryan
I had always assumed, til reading the article, that she had gotten a big head and asked for way too much money. So she's a hit in the II and for a bigger part in III they want to pay her less. I don't blame her for turning it down. I have to think it was some bean counter's decision.

Did they cut the budget for III?
Shatner said the budgets got smaller as the movies moved on. Budget cuts during production are largely what he blames for the critical (& stated financial) failure of ST V ... in ...
latest

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
According to interviews in Shatner's book, Alley's agent demanded a salary for STIII that was more than Shatner and Nimoy were making, so they recast.

bigshot

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Stephen
Demanding too much money is an agent's way of saying "no". I've experienced that myself in the cartoon world.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks