What's new

Star Trek: Enterprise 11/05/'03: "twilight" (1 Viewer)

Andres Munoz

Senior HTF Member
My take on the parasites for those thinking that zapping a few should've changed the timeline is...this is not the case. :D

IMO, even one parasite would've been enough to cause Archer the long term memory lapses so even after zapping a few of them, there's more left, therefore Archer still has memory problems, therefore nothing has changed and the timeline remains the same.

The only way to fix things (like Phlox explained) is to get rid of ALL of the parasites.

Pretty good episode.

Mike Broadman

Senior HTF Member
Dramatically, this was the best episode of Enterprise yet. I actually felt something for a couple of the characters this time.

CharlesD

Screenwriter
No if you zap one cluster, it was never there, so in the revised timeline they would have chosen a different cluster than before. Not only that there would be one less cluster to chose from.

Say there were 5 clusters, they zap one which mean, from their perspective there would have always been four there, and they would have chose one of those four to zap... when it was zapped there would have been three all along & they would have zapped one of those... and so on until there are none.

All the clusters get zapped, but in the "replacement" timelines! Its recursive, zap one of many and you change the past (and therefore the present) to make there be one less all along. Zap one and you must zap them all!

Jack Briggs

Senior HTF Member
Know what I'm seeing here? Even among those of you who give it a "pretty good," nearly every post is mentioning the episode's nod to various classic TOS, TNG, and DS9 episodes. In addition, "nods" to a Voyager episode are acknowledged, along with the story's having apparently borrowed from the second feature film. Talk about boldly going ...

But I will check this one out during Sunday's "encore presenation."

Jason Seaver

Senior HTF Member
Whats is the alternative to remembering that the parasites were there?
Good writing? :)

I mean, if you're going to have characters walking around saying "this is logical, this is not", well, you'd better have some demonstrable facility with the concept.

Ric Easton

Senior HTF Member
Kinda hard to buy when you know the Earth will survive
That was really my only problem. But even if I didn't know about the following Generations, I'm sure I would have thought that they wouldn't keep Earth destroyed.

I thought it was well acted and was a pretty wild ride. Yher action and special effect sequences were great. I loved T'Pol's solution to taking out the other ship. Seemed like a bold move that Chrighton might make from Farscape. I liked the reference to Ceti Alpha 5 and as far as similarities/homages with other episodes and even Galactica, lets face it... the franchise has what... over 500 stories now? I'm afraid that you're going to run into similarities from time to time. I mean even the original had several similarly themed stories... Computers taking over ship, Time travel to set everything right, etc.

I have been one of the folks that has been really disappointed in this series... but I have to say, I think they are hitting their stride. Oh, and it was nice to see T'Pol in a uniform and not a skin tight distracting cat suit. Yeah, we already know she's hot. I've seen the Maxim pics. Its a little easier seeing that Blalok actually has some talent when I'm not saying to myself, "Mmmm, boobies..."

Ric

Mike Broadman

Senior HTF Member
No what I'm seeing here? Even among those of you who give it a "pretty good," nearly every post is mentioning the episode's nod to various classic TOS, TNG, and DS9 episodes. In addition, "nods" to a Voyager episode are acknowledged, along with the story's having apparently borrowed from the second feature film. Talk about boldly going ...
This episode wasn't about "boldly going" or presenting some high-concept sci-fi thing. Many Star Treks in any series were character pieces, and this is one of them.

Qui-Gon John

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Co
Maybe if T'Pol would have had the Enterprise go in reverse and smash the attached ship into the other one, it would have broken off without damaging the Enterprise.

Randy Tennison

Screenwriter
Real Name
Randy
I was sitting there the whole time waiting for John DeLancie to show up. It was so formula that I figured it had to be an introuduction to Q.

And the whole "Look at the older scans, the parasite isn't there. And look at this photo, Marty's brother's head is missing! Quick, Doc, string the wire to the clock tower!"

Tony Whalen

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony Whalen
along with the story's having apparently borrowed from the second feature film.
Jack, I wouldn't call using the name of a planet from TWOK "borrowing". Ceti Alpha V was used. Just as Kronos, Vulcan, Alpha Centauri, etc are used in many episodes.

As for the show borrowing from others... well hell, it's a "look forward to one possible future" type of show. Comparison is inevitable, but I think this one can stand on it's own... :)

Everlasting Gobstopper

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Mark
They also mentioned "Mutara" as being near the Ceti Alpha system. If you'll recall, Mutara was where the nebula battle took place in TWOK.

Anthony Hom

Supporting Actor
Forget about references, if you go by formula story, this episode has traces of many TNG shows, like 'all good things', Parallels, Future Imperfect, Yesterday's enterprise and Cause and Effect (looping and forgetting what happened).
and Voyager shows 'Year in Hell' , (episode where voyager ends up in a glacier) and (episode where harry kim ends up on earth in an alternate time-line).
Not that Twilight borrowed, but it used the same formula to the same end, but different path. Most of the above shows listed were better than average, so they just took a formula that worked and applied it to here, but you can only do it so many times before it becomes hackneyed.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks