1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

Star Trek DS9 on Blu-Ray -- Remain Ever Hopeful Thread

Discussion in 'TV on DVD and Blu-ray' started by Bryan^H, Jul 14, 2012.

1. Message #321 of 329 May 16, 2019
    Last edited: May 16, 2019
    Brian Himes

Brian Himes Screenwriter

Brian
    All I know is that it was stated in an article, possibly linked on this board, that the CGI for DS9 would have to be recreated from scratch as nothing was saved. Just because it was Trek doesn't mean that everything was saved and nothing has been lost. In the DS9 documentary they even stated that they were unable to locate some of the shots they wanted to use and had to use alternate takes instead. So, yes, stuff even as late as the 90s has been lost or is at the very least, misplaced and unable to be located. With a more extensive search, yes the missing camera footage could be located.

Here's the one of the articles that I remember reading about the CG effects in both DS9 and Voyager:

http://www.treknews.net/2017/02/02/why-ds9-voyager-not-on-blu-ray-hd/

2. Jason_V

Jason_V Lead Actor

Jason
    Yes, it was stated things could not be found...but that in context of the number of boxes of film there are and the amount of time/money available to find the shots. If the team could find the material for TNG, I highly doubt the actual camera negatives can't be found for shows that came afterwards. It's a matter of time and money.

3. Gary Seven

Gary Seven Grand Poo Pah

Gaston
    Wow. So much conjecture spoken as fact. It does provide an interesting read. Pass the salt please.

4. Brian Himes

Brian Himes Screenwriter

Brian
    Sorry. I did not mean for conjecture to come across as fact. Most likely due to my faulty memory I got the facts from the many articles that I've read mixed up. I have read numerous articles on upgrading DS9 and Voyager to HD for eventual Blu-ray release and it's hard to keep all of the information straight.

5. Nelson Au

Nelson Au Executive Producer

Here’s Mike Okuda working on the filming miniature. I’ve studied this model from many different photos. The Defiant is a real filming miniature too. So there were models in the early seasons.

D6729C6B-DF79-43E8-9195-4D849F49FDF9.

Jason_V, Sam Favate and DaveF like this.
  6. Nelson Au

Nelson Au Executive Producer

The guys who worked at the various effects houses that did the CGI on DS9 and Voyager I’m sure have the files or some backed up. Probably in their own personal files. Once the parties at Paramount and CBS settle up, there could be a chance of DS9 and Voyager being remastered for HD.

Who knew in 2006 when I was at the 40th anniversary convention I’d see clips of the remastered Star Trek TOS. That was just amazing.

Sam Favate likes this.
  7. Sam Favate

Sam Favate Lead Actor

Sam Favate

I agree with this, and the good news is that investors generally see the merger (reunification?) happening between CBS and Paramount.

I believe DS9 HD will happen. Just not sure about the 'when'.

8. Jason_V

Jason_V Lead Actor

Jason
    I will say, I did watch "In Purgatory's Shadow" last night and it looked decent. There's not a lot of detail, relatively speaking, but it was nowhere as muddy or gross as my memory told me it did. I was, of course, watching an episode from later in the run and not an early S1 episode, so that has something to do with it.

9. ScottRE

ScottRE Supporting Actor

Scott
    I put in my DS9 DVDs the other day and I was surprised at how good they actually still look to me.

Then again, I'm old and my eyesight ain't what it used to be. :banana:

Doug Wallen likes this.