What's new

Star Trek DS9 on Blu-Ray -- Remain Ever Hopeful Thread (1 Viewer)

Brian Himes

Screenwriter
Real Name
Brian
Frankly, with Trek in the 90s and beyond, it's very hard for me to believe no one has a copy or the raw files or anything. If this was a no name series with no pedigree, maybe. But not Trek.

All I know is that it was stated in an article, possibly linked on this board, that the CGI for DS9 would have to be recreated from scratch as nothing was saved. Just because it was Trek doesn't mean that everything was saved and nothing has been lost. In the DS9 documentary they even stated that they were unable to locate some of the shots they wanted to use and had to use alternate takes instead. So, yes, stuff even as late as the 90s has been lost or is at the very least, misplaced and unable to be located. With a more extensive search, yes the missing camera footage could be located.

Here's the one of the articles that I remember reading about the CG effects in both DS9 and Voyager:

http://www.treknews.net/2017/02/02/why-ds9-voyager-not-on-blu-ray-hd/

Last edited:

Jason_V

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason
All I know is that it was stated in an article, possibly linked on this board, that the CGI for DS9 would have to be recreated from scratch as nothing was saved. Just because it was Trek doesn't mean that everything was saved and nothing has been lost. In the DS9 documentary they even stated that they were unable to locate some of the shots they wanted to use and had to use alternate takes instead. So, yes, stuff even as late as the 90s has been lost or is at the very least, misplaced and unable to be located. With a more extensive search, yes the missing camera footage could be located.

Yes, it was stated things could not be found...but that in context of the number of boxes of film there are and the amount of time/money available to find the shots. If the team could find the material for TNG, I highly doubt the actual camera negatives can't be found for shows that came afterwards. It's a matter of time and money.

Brian Himes

Screenwriter
Real Name
Brian
Sorry. I did not mean for conjecture to come across as fact. Most likely due to my faulty memory I got the facts from the many articles that I've read mixed up. I have read numerous articles on upgrading DS9 and Voyager to HD for eventual Blu-ray release and it's hard to keep all of the information straight.

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
Here’s Mike Okuda working on the filming miniature. I’ve studied this model from many different photos. The Defiant is a real filming miniature too. So there were models in the early seasons.

D6729C6B-DF79-43E8-9195-4D849F49FDF9.jpeg

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
The guys who worked at the various effects houses that did the CGI on DS9 and Voyager I’m sure have the files or some backed up. Probably in their own personal files. Once the parties at Paramount and CBS settle up, there could be a chance of DS9 and Voyager being remastered for HD.

Who knew in 2006 when I was at the 40th anniversary convention I’d see clips of the remastered Star Trek TOS. That was just amazing.

Sam Favate

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Favate
The guys who worked at the various effects houses that did the CGI on DS9 and Voyager I’m sure have the files or some backed up. Probably in their own personal files. Once the parties at Paramount and CBS settle up, there could be a chance of DS9 and Voyager being remastered for HD.

I agree with this, and the good news is that investors generally see the merger (reunification?) happening between CBS and Paramount.

I believe DS9 HD will happen. Just not sure about the 'when'.

Jason_V

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason
I will say, I did watch "In Purgatory's Shadow" last night and it looked decent. There's not a lot of detail, relatively speaking, but it was nowhere as muddy or gross as my memory told me it did. I was, of course, watching an episode from later in the run and not an early S1 episode, so that has something to do with it.

Sam Favate

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Favate
I finally got a notification that my blu-ray of What We Left Behind shipped the other day. I should have it this week.

There was a panel at SDCC yesterday with some of the cast about the documentary. Other than a few tweets, I can't find a description of the event. Has anyone seen anything? I want to know what was said about the possibility of remastering the entire series in HD -- a subject that surely came up.

Sam Favate

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Favate
At the Vegas convention today, Mike Okuda said he is hopeful we will see DS9 and Voyager on Blu-ray. He said there is interest at CBS but that the process is complicated.

This is from a tweet from TrekMovie which was live tweeting the events. They and TrekCore did a great job.

Richard V

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Richard
I watched What We Left Behind, and some of the cut scenes definitely looked HD, especially some of the battleship scenes, so I have hope.

Neil Middlemiss

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neil Middlemiss
I’m sure many of you have seen the sad news that Aron Eisenberg has died. He was only 50. Glad he got to be part of the recent documentary.
I just read about that a few hours ago. How terribly sad. What a memorable character he created! May he forever rest in peace.

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
He did some of the very finest acting work on the show, and it almost came out of nowhere. What a blessing it must have been for that writers room to have such talented performers that they could take a character that started as a simple supporting guest spot and turn it into one of the richest story arcs of the entire series. None of that happens if you don’t have an actor with the kind of talent that makes writers want to write for them.

Sam Favate

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Favate
There’s a Voyager documentary in the works, similar to the great DS9 doc, and there may well be more DS9 docs as well. The Voyager doc may try to do HD versions of the show, like the DS9 doc did.

More importantly, the article says that HD versions of both shows remain a possibility, and that there are people at CBS who want it to happen.

[Documentary filmmaker Joe] Kornbrodt did offer some hope:

We know that there are people at CBS that would love to see that happen. You never know. It takes more than a few people in the organization to come to a consensus… It’s closer to happening than before we did it.

He was also quick to note that the TNG release didn’t get the sales CBS was hoping for and that the market for home video doesn’t really exist like it did a decade ago, but he also pointed out that remastering shows in HD future-proofs them for streaming distribution.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
khuranatech
Recent bookmarks