1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice
  2. We will be interviewing Criterion soon. Click here for details on how you can submit a question for us to ask.
    Dismiss Notice

Star Trek DS9 on Blu-Ray -- Remain Ever Hopeful Thread

Discussion in 'TV on DVD and Blu-ray' started by Bryan^H, Jul 14, 2012.

1. David Norman

David Norman Producer

No need to think you've been scammed anymore -- you have been fleeced at a pretty high level.

You can try demanding your money back (or 90% refund) since they didn't deliver on their end of the deal and kept changing the rules after the fact. Not sure it would do any good, but might as well make as big a public stink as possible and prevent them from doing the same
    thing again.

Pretty much follows the playback of every Conman and Grifter ever who demands payment up front then constantly downgrades the delivered goods.

bmasters9 likes this.
  2. Sam Favate

Sam Favate Lead Actor

Sam Favate
    I tried to watch it last night too and couldn't. The servers crashed or something; there was a message from the doc team about it. Hopefully, they will extend the viewing period. I agree it's frustrating. Hopefully the film will be worth it in the end.

3. Josh Steinberg

Josh Steinberg Executive Producer
    Reviewer

Josh Steinberg
    I’m done with Kickstarter and all those platforms after this. Every time I’ve pledged, I’ve either lost money entirely, or overpaid for what wound up being a standard retail product.

4. Nelson Au

Nelson Au Executive Producer

I’ve only done one Kickstarter and that was for a friend who put a little pressure on people he knew for his daughters project. That turned out ok. But as a general life rule, I tend to not do these campaigns. As much as I wanted to support Star Trek projects and know the people behind them are sincere, I just never end up contributing. I’m waiting for the disc release and at that point I’ll support them.

I realize unexpected things happen, unexpected costs or something didn’t work out.

Josh, Sam and you others who backed this, I hope you get what you were expecting and promised.

5. Sam Favate

Sam Favate Lead Actor

Sam Favate
    I tried and tried the other night to make the streaming thing work. I wanted to watch it over Apple TV. I could bring up the stream on my phone and my ipad, but my wife and I wanted to watch it, and there was no way we were doing that on a phone. The initial email from the doc folks said you could use AirPlay to watch on an Apple TV. So I juggled the phone, the ipad and went back and forth for a while but it didn't work. Eventually, I gave up, and resigned myself to waiting for the blu-ray.

And then, the next day, I get another email from the doc makers, apologizing for the stream to Apple TV not working. They said they were told that it would, but it doesn't and it won't. They really, really dropped the ball on this one.

6. Josh Steinberg

Reviewer

Josh Steinberg
    I've been holding my tongue and going through the polite motions with them, but I've really run out of patience with them.

I pledged a certain amount to receive a Blu-ray of the film before it was publicly available. That Blu-ray is being postponed until after the film screens theatrically for a paying general audience, and I won't be getting a special disc, but rather, a regular retail disc that would have been much cheaper for me to buy directly from Shout Factory or Amazon. I was overcharged and not given what was promised. A stream that I can only play on a two inch phone doesn't count as far as I'm concerned.

I want a refund but I'm guessing that there's no shot I could get one, and I'm never using one of these "crowd sourcing" platforms again. They haven't been transparent at all, and it frankly seems like they didn't need our money as they've gotten picked up for both theatrical and home video distribution. I guess we were there so that they could hedge their bets, but when it worked out for them, we got screwed.

holtge likes this.
  7. Message #287 of 329 Apr 30, 2019
    Last edited: Apr 30, 2019
    Carabimero

Carabimero Producer
    Supporter

Alan
    Deleted by Carab, sent the comment to your private inbox Josh S.

8. Josh Steinberg

Reviewer

Josh Steinberg
    Alan, I appreciate your apology and obviously this isn’t your fault personally. With that said, I am giving serious consideration to sending a polite but strongly worded letter expressing how I feel that I’ve been taken advantage of, and requesting a refund.

holtge and Carabimero like this.
  9. Josh Steinberg

Reviewer

Josh Steinberg
    I ended up sending a letter expressing my disappointment and how I feel that I’ve been scammed, and asking for a refund. We’ll see what, if any, response I get. I’m assuming they’re just gonna say no way and quote the fine print.

10. Adam Lenhardt

Adam Lenhardt Director

I've had nothing but bad luck too getting the promised perks from things I've paid into that were crowdfunded in a timely and/or complete fashion. I paid into a new album for an indie artist once and was promised a signed CD for my level of contribution. A downloadable mp3 album actually did come through within a week of the album dropping online, but I think it took like 7-8 months for the actual signed CD to arrive.

The way I've made my peace with it is: This is something I want, that wouldn't get made through traditional funding streams. The purpose of my financial investment is to get the thing made. The perks, while valuable to me, are ancillary to that main purpose. And if I wouldn't be willing to contribute without the promised perks, I don't contribute at all anymore.

11. Josh Steinberg

Reviewer

Josh Steinberg
    I think what's bugging me most here is that it's become quite clear, to me at least, that they weren't counting on crowd funding to get it made - it seems obvious that they were always going to make it regardless of where the money came from, and with Shout Factory picking up both theatrical and home video rights, they clearly didn't need my money. If I could have watched the movie on my television set or projection screen this weekend, I wouldn't be up in arms. But I wasn't able to do that, and a paying audience will get to see it next week long before I do.

12. Message #292 of 329 Apr 30, 2019
    Last edited: May 1, 2019
    Carabimero

Carabimero Producer
    Supporter

Alan
    I will always believe your money was critical to funding the second wave of remastered footage never planned. Of course I can't prove correlation, but I'm not alone in believing there's more HD footage from DS9 in the movie--a lot more--because of contributions like yours.

13. Josh Steinberg

Reviewer

Josh Steinberg
    I’m very surprised by the outcome, but they have agreed to refund my money.

They did send a very long letter explaining the situation from their point of view, and while I don’t agree with everything they said, I did appreciate that they actually engaged with me instead of sending off a form letter. They essentially said that they’re filmmakers, not businesspeople, and that their goal has always been to get their work seen by the wisest possible audience. So, when the opportunity to have nationwide theatrical screenings for the general public presented itself, they felt that was something they needed to do.

And on the one hand, I totally get that.

But on the other hand, they raised money from me (and many others) on the premise and promise that my money was buying me early access to a high quality version of the film. By releasing the film to the general public before fulfilling that agreement, I think it’s fair for me to feel that the agreement I entered into was no longer valid, and I’m happy to be released from that obligation.

I’m still mystified why they couldn’t send out backer discs now, then do the theatrical screenings and then do the Shout Factory release. That would have given them the same wide audience while also honoring their agreements with their backers.

Now I get the $40 back from them and get to decide on my own whether I’d like to support the film by either buying a ticket to a screening or purchasing a disc from Shout Factory. Whichever of those options I choose, I’ll now get to see the film faster than if I had waited for them to send me a disc after it’s general release.

bmasters9 likes this.
  14. GlennC

GlennC Extra

Glenn
    I have only done two kickstarters. This one and the Thunderbirds 1965 one where they made two new Thunderbirds episodes based on the audios of 3 mini albums released in the 60s.

The Thunderbirds one was exceptionally good and although there were some delays I got to visit the filming and received my BluRay copy in a timely fashion. The result was excellent and although I believe these are now owned by ITV who can do what they want with them; so far the backers are the only ones with copies.

I too am disappointed not to have the DS9 BluRay already and have no idea when it will be shipped.

Ironically DS9 is my least favorite Star Trek series and I really only backed it to show CBS/Paramount that there is an interest in Star Trek on BluRay and that I hoped it would encourage them to do the work on DS9 and Voyager; which I would prefer.

B-ROLL and bmasters9 like this.
  15. Jay*W

Jay*W Second Unit
    Supporter

I watched the stream today and thoroughly enjoyed it. I can’t wait to see the special features! I understand the frustrations of my fellow backers, but I also feel that whatever they can do to raise the profile of DS9 is worth doing. The show absolutely deserves a bigger audience and a better presentation. TOS will always be my favorite, but DS9 is second for me. It offered such a rich tapestry and provided a completely different experience in the Star Trek universe that never felt like a pale imitation of TOS.

16. Sam Favate

Sam Favate Lead Actor

Sam Favate
  17. Carabimero

Carabimero Producer
    Supporter

Alan
    Thanks for posting the review. I had missed seeing it. It warms my heart.

Mrs. Carab and Sam Favate like this.
  18. DaveF

DaveF Moderator

Dave
    I don't Kickstarter, and have been largely oblivious to this movie. Is it going to distributed on a streaming service or for purchase/rental through iTunes or such where I might be able to watch it? Maybe even host a party if friends are so inclined?

19. Josh Steinberg

Reviewer

Josh Steinberg
    I know Shout Factory has physical media rights. If it’s got that level of distribution I’d have to figure it’ll be streaming as well.

DaveF likes this.
  20. ScottHM

ScottHM Supporting Actor

Scott
    There were five people in the audience tonight, including my wife and me. I hope it did a lot better elsewhere.

---------------