What's new

Paramount+ Star Trek: Discovery - Official Thread (3 Viewers)

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
I’ve been in China on business for work. Just got back and im playing catch up. Cool, news. I know nothing of Ethan Peck.

Hanson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Hanson
Josh, are they playing the shorts in Canada? They're dropping four of them once a month on All Access, meaning you have to subscribe an entire month for a 15 minute program. The first one streamed yesterday.

BTW, not you, Josh, the other Josh from Canada.

Josh Dial

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Dial
Yup, the first one aired last night on Space (our better version of SyFy, and part of most cable packages).

I thought it was a great bit-sized piece of Trek. I loves me some Tilly, though, so mileage may vary. It was a tad on-the-nose with the two moral "lessons," but then again Star Trek has never been subtle. It was also good to see some minor world building with the shift change (which I don't recall seeing since TNG's "Data's Day" and "The Lower Decks").

joshEH

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh
Gonna call it now: Tilly meets her badass Mirror Universe counterpart "Killy," and we learned Killy flat-out killed her mother for pulling the same shit that we see in this webisode. Tilly then has to suppress a smile.

Last edited:

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
  1. Woah, i’ll be checking out the first short trek this weekend. I knew it was coming, but it come up fast and I’ve not been keeping up on the release dates.

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
I don’t want to ascribe too much to what’s basically a single shot, but I do remember that the very first time I saw Zachary Quinto in the makeup, I instantly accepted him as Spock and instantly recognized the character. I can’t say the same for my first sighting of Ethan Peck.

Greg.K

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Greg K.
I don’t want to ascribe too much to what’s basically a single shot, but I do remember that the very first time I saw Zachary Quinto in the makeup, I instantly accepted him as Spock and instantly recognized the character. I can’t say the same for my first sighting of Ethan Peck.

His voice sounded closer to Nimoy to me than Quinto's does. I can buy into it.

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
Watched the first short that focused on Tilly, Runaway. I’ve never been one to follow these kinds of short films that fill-in story or character bits between films, as in the new Star Wars and Star Trek films. Preferring to see the production film/TV episodes. I understand the desire for the comics and films. Perhaps this episode in Tilly’s day will come up during the second season.

I thought it was OK, even fun. It further shows what her personality is like and develops it. Spunky and quirky. I wasn’t sure what to expect. Definitely Tilly fans will enjoy it i’d suspect. In retrospect after seeing it, it Is a nice tease to keep the fans and public more aware of the new season coming.

I also saw the new trailer for the second season. I’ve been holding back and not wanting to see too much before the season starts. I didn’t watch any, except a few seconds of the Comic Con interviews and panel. I don’t know why the meh reaction to it. I’m not a super fan of Discovery, I don’t dislike it either. I think it’s very provocative and I’ve enjoyed the first season. I’m being open minded, i’ll For sure be there on premiere night. ( I did enjoy the surprise appearance of a character from last season. Surprise to me anyway. )

I did like Pike from what I’ve seen. Some shots, he does look like a bulkier Jeffrey Hunter. More questions come up in my mind about why he is taking command of the Discovery beyond the regulation he quotes. No doubt the question of canon will come up. It must be a temporary assignment.

I don’t really have any kind of reaction to the Spock appearance. Must be part of the reason Pike is on board. I’ll wait to see what they have cooked up.

On an aside, the effects shot of Burnham in the environmental suit in that fiery surface reminded me of the opening teaser of Beyond Darkness.

Sam Favate

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Favate
Word out of NYCC is that the Talosians will appear in season 2. I hope they don't mess up the makeup like they did with the Klingons.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks