1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

Star Trek: Discovery - Official Thread

Discussion in 'TV Shows' started by David S. Peterson, Nov 2, 2015.

1. johnnybear

johnnybear Agent

John Harley
    More proof if needed that this is not the TOS universe!
    JB

2. Johnny Angell

Johnny Angell Played With Dinosaurs Member

Johnny Angell
    Are the shorts available without a subscription to CBS All Access?

3. joshEH

joshEH Producer

Josh
    No idea what you're talking about here.

Josh Dial, Hanson and Josh Steinberg like this.
  4. Hanson

Hanson Producer

Hanson
    You don't speak Russian troll?

joshEH likes this.
  5. johnnybear

johnnybear Agent

John Harley
    You obviously do, Hansy!
    JB

6. Josh Dial

Josh Dial Producer

Josh Dial
    I can't either, Hanson. Season 2 looks to be distilled Trek (the best possible sense).

Correct me if I'm wrong, but UESPA (not Starfleet) operated the Enterprise's five-year mission, right? Is it possible that Pike is running a limited-time UESPA mission? He could also be on detached duty (see, for example, Riker and crew of the D in TNG's Gambit).

7. johnnybear

johnnybear Agent

John Harley
    UESPA was mentioned twice in the original show! Charlie X and Tomorrow is Yesterday! But the latter was to Captain Christopher, a 1960s pilot way out of his time so could have been Kirk trying not to give too much away! But it also gets a mention in VOY Friendship One and also in ENT but as I'm not a fan of that one I can't really guess!
    JB

8. Josh Dial

Josh Dial Producer

Josh Dial
    The Calypso Short Trek episode was absolutely amazing. Beautiful and surprisingly heartwarming for only 15 minutes.

A few nice mysteries thrown in to round things out (1000 years is furthest out we've been on any Star Trek, right?). Will we see this ship play out in the show itself (maybe our crew left the ship like a hidden Delorean to be "picked up" at a later date)?

joshEH and Sam Favate like this.
  9. Dave Scarpa

Dave Scarpa Producer

David Scarpa
    Yeah it was filmed well, but i did'nt think too much of it, now i here we might see this character again, i guess, but to me too much time was spent on something that in the end really did'nt matter, maybe this event that happened to the crew ill somehow retconn the entire series into never happenning which would suck, but to me it came off as a tv version of the movie "Her". Why did'nt craft just leave, the ship was operational as was the shuttle, it just didnt make alot of sense. At least the next one will feature a character from the actual show, i gotta ask is this the best the writers can do? and that this was co-written by the guy responsible for writing the upcoming Picard series doesnt leave me with much hope

10. Josh Dial

Josh Dial Producer

Josh Dial
    Well, it's a (loose) re-imagining of The Odyssey...

11. TJPC

TJPC Cinematographer

Terry Carroll
    I found it very reminiscent of the movie “Passengers”.

12. benbess

benbess Producer

Ben
    My family is not happy with what CBS has done with Star Trek. Overall, Discovery has not worked for my family so far. We like the actors fine, and the special effects are great, but the setting, the stories, the grim tone and mood, the character arcs etc. just don't work for me or my family.

We are also upset they haven't remastered Deep Space Nine and Voyager.

Bottom line: I'm not planning on re-subscribing to CBS even when Discovery comes back on. Maybe after all the episodes have aired we'll join for a month and binge the new season, but honestly I'm not even sure that's worth it.

13. holtge

holtge Second Unit

Gordon Holt
    Amen. I agree completely with everything you said in your post. It makes me so angry that TPTB at CBS haven't figured out by now that what they've done with this iconic franchise in the past ten years is beyond infuriating.

benbess likes this.
  14. Nelson Au

Nelson Au Executive Producer

I’m sorry that Star Trek Discovery is not to everyone’s taste. I get that, it’s very different. But at the same time, it’s kind of cool to see what new people can do with the franchise. As Spock says, for V’ger to grow, it has to evolve.

But not go on with that.

Yesterday I finally had a chance to sit and casually watch the second new segment of the Short Treks. These are the short format 13 or so minute stories in the new Star Trek Disco era. After seeing the first one last month, Runaway, and the new one called Calypso, I’m more convinced these are interesting experimental films designed to try some different ideas and story telling. Gordon and Ben, I strongly recommend to at least give Calypso a try. At its core, it’s very authentic and true to Star Trek. That’s not hyperbole. The second Short Trek at first had me questioning what the heck they are doing here, in the end, it’s a very cool storyline. Very human. I went in with an open mind. And I’m like what I think you are, very long Time fan here going back to TOS. I’ll be curious what you guys think. Haven’t seen much of Josh S here, I’ll be curious of his reactions too. I’m going to watch it again tonight. And I recommend Runaway too, though it does contain one bad swear word. It does star Tilly, so what did we expect.

The writer of Calypso is one of the writers on Disco, so it will be interesting if this Short Trek is indicative of the new season. If so, then it will be great to see it. Of course, the show runners are gone now, so the new season could be a totally new Enterprise, excuse the Decker quote. :)

joshEH and Neil Middlemiss like this.
  15. joshEH

joshEH Producer

Josh
    I don't see how Discovery is any more grimdark than DS9. Its first-season story arc was pretty much exactly the same as the Dominion War arc -- the Federation is increasingly overpowered by a ruthless enemy, forced to compromise its ethics, until the point that the leaders are willing to go along with a villainous entity's plan to commit genocide, yet the lead characters refuse to let it happen, and find a way to reach out to an enemy leader and negotiate a ceasefire, thereby saving their society from itself and reaffirming the values they embody.

If anything, it was *less* dark as a portrait of the UFP than the Dominion War was, because the primary sources of villainy came from the Mirror Universe, rather than via compromised Starfleet officers like Section 31. And Burnham, Saru, and the others repeatedly came down on the side of refusing to accept a moral compromise in a difficult situation, rather than grudgingly accepting one (or trying to) as Sisko did in "In the Pale Moonlight."

Many of the most effective and powerful moments in this recent season were moments where the characters stood up for what was right, reached out to one another, bonded as a crew, and found a better way. The only way in which DSC is darker than DS9 is in the strictly literal sense of set-lighting and color schemes, and they even found a (very nonsensical) Mirror Universe-based excuse for keeping the lights low.