What's new

Paramount+ Star Trek: Discovery - Official Thread (3 Viewers)

Osato

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tim
I'm not paying for the CBS service, so I'm hoping there will be a way to still see the series without it.

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
I'm not paying for the CBS service, so I'm hoping there will be a way to still see the series without it.

Maybe CBS will relent and offer the show on their real broadcast network. But they've tried to use Trek to launch a new network before, so they will probably stick to their guns. Maybe they'll do reruns after the season has aired on the main network during a slow time of the year? And I'm sure there will eventually be a Blu-ray since the home video side knows how well Trek sells - but if they're trying to force people to like the streaming service, they may try to keep it exclusive to their site well beyond a reasonable time. Of course, bootleggers will have no problems ripping it from the site and putting it wherever people put things to download illegally. I'm in no way condoning piracy, but I think the truth is that if fans want to see the show, and CBS makes it difficult for them to do so legally, they will turn to alternate means without breaking a sweat, and then CBS will have alienated their fanbase.

Osato

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tim
Maybe CBS will relent and offer the show on their real broadcast network. But they've tried to use Trek to launch a new network before, so they will probably stick to their guns. Maybe they'll do reruns after the season has aired on the main network during a slow time of the year? And I'm sure there will eventually be a Blu-ray since the home video side knows how well Trek sells - but if they're trying to force people to like the streaming service, they may try to keep it exclusive to their site well beyond a reasonable time. Of course, bootleggers will have no problems ripping it from the site and putting it wherever people put things to download illegally. I'm in no way condoning piracy, but I think the truth is that if fans want to see the show, and CBS makes it difficult for them to do so legally, they will turn to alternate means without breaking a sweat, and then CBS will have alienated their fanbase.

I'll send a message to cyrano jones at K7. I'm sure he will be watching the new show.

Sam Favate

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Favate
I stumbled on this today. "The City on the Edge of Never."
12986928_1104111886275704_3985879602538300941_n.jpg

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
A bit more news. Episodes will be released on a weekly basis starting in January.

http://trekmovie.com/2016/05/03/sta...eekly-cbs-on-track-for-january-premiere-date/

I wonder if it's going to be a real network 22 episode season, a basic cable 13 episode season, or a premium cable 6-10 episode season.

I want to watch this but it's very hard to justify a monthly subscription for only one show. If anything, perhaps I will subscribe when the season has concluded for a free trial or one month period and binge it all then. I fear that most people will simply download it illegally. I wouldn't be surprised to see that it's a top rated bootleg download, while at the same time only doing mediocre numbers among the few that choose to pay for it.

KevinGress

Supporting Actor
I found this quote to be ironic: "That said, Moonves isn’t worried about other online competitors eating into CBS’s profits. “Questions are now arising about the effectiveness of certain digital media platforms,” said Moonves, noting that marketers “get their best returns” from broadcast television."

Considering that the new Star Trek won't be a broadcast show, but one on a streaming platform......

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
I think I read that the plan was to show the pilot on CBS broadcast and then move the show online only. I wonder what happens if, say, 5 million people watch the broadcast of the pilot, and then only 50,000 people watch it online - do they make a course correction on their decision? Or do they use it as evidence that people are over Trek? It's feels like this is being set up to fail.

Sam Favate

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Favate
A bit more news. Episodes will be released on a weekly basis starting in January.

http://trekmovie.com/2016/05/03/sta...eekly-cbs-on-track-for-january-premiere-date/

Okay, so let's say there's 26 episodes, like in the days of TNG-DS9-VOY. There won't be (it'll be more like 13) but let's say there are. That's 6 months. What happens in the remaining 6 months of the year? What will entice people who subscribed to get Star Trek to keep the CBS app? As of now they have no other exclusive programming, and nothing that would seem to appeal to Trek fans.

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
Regarding paying for all access, there's one reason I might pay for it. Say one pays to watch Star Trek, the side benefit Mr. Moonless might be hoping for is that people can catch up on first run CBS shows they might have missed. I often get home late from work, so its hard to catch The Big Bang Theory. I don't have a DVR, I do have an HD receiver that I use on my Mac, but the eyeTV software no longer supports Yosemite, so I can't timer record anymore until I find an alternative method to time shift.

Bryan^H

Senior HTF Member
I like the series starting in January next year instead of September. However, I get a feeling there will be only a dozen episodes...and that is not 'Trek'. That model may work for other series, but I don't feel it will work for Star Trek. Especially on a pay to play, vampire subscription service.

As Josh said, this really is in a bad spot. Failure is almost inevitable.
A 22 episode first run syndication Star Trek series would have made a lot more sense.

KevinGress

Supporting Actor
Okay, so let's say there's 26 episodes, like in the days of TNG-DS9-VOY. There won't be (it'll be more like 13) but let's say there are. That's 6 months. What happens in the remaining 6 months of the year? What will entice people who subscribed to get Star Trek to keep the CBS app? As of now they have no other exclusive programming, and nothing that would seem to appeal to Trek fans.

The article did say that Trek would be the first of 3 or 4 original series on CBS Access. If they appear the same time as Trek, or sometime afterwards was not addressed.

I don't plan on signing up/paying for this service just for Trek. While I would watch it if it appears in another format (one time fee for all, DVDs, etc.) I'm not going to pay a monthly fee; I'm trying to cut down on my recurring monthly bills.

Osato

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tim
I wonder if it's going to be a real network 22 episode season, a basic cable 13 episode season, or a premium cable 6-10 episode season.

I want to watch this but it's very hard to justify a monthly subscription for only one show. If anything, perhaps I will subscribe when the season has concluded for a free trial or one month period and binge it all then. I fear that most people will simply download it illegally. I wouldn't be surprised to see that it's a top rated bootleg download, while at the same time only doing mediocre numbers among the few that choose to pay for it.

Is it to early to start wishing for a season 1 uhd blu Ray set preorder?

Osato

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tim
Probably won't pay for CBS All Access to get Trek. Or anything else.

I would pay for it if it includes a copy of a restored Star Trek the motion picture directors cut blu Ray and a restored Star Trek 5 the final frontier blu Ray. Pretty sure this will happen!

Osato

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tim
Regarding paying for all access, there's one reason I might pay for it. Say one pays to watch Star Trek, the side benefit Mr. Moonless might be hoping for is that people can catch up on first run CBS shows they might have missed. I often get home late from work, so its hard to catch The Big Bang Theory. I don't have a DVR, I do have an HD receiver that I use on my Mac, but the eyeTV software no longer supports Yosemite, so I can't timer record anymore until I find an alternative method to time shift.

I feel our best bet is to continue sending our coded transmissions to the talosians on talos iv. I know this may violate the prime directive, but don't take my word for it......:

Osato

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tim
I found this quote to be ironic: "That said, Moonves isn’t worried about other online competitors eating into CBS’s profits. “Questions are now arising about the effectiveness of certain digital media platforms,” said Moonves, noting that marketers “get their best returns” from broadcast television."

Considering that the new Star Trek won't be a broadcast show, but one on a streaming platform......

I think we should all chip in 15 cents and share an account.

Also! Shouldnt paramount and CBS give us all a credit for paying theater prices for Star Trek nemesis tickets? Plus we actually stayed for the whole film!!!

Hmm.... Where is jt Esteban when we need him???

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
This is funny, the uproar by a large percentage of people chiming in from all the websites that they will not pay for CBS Access to view the series. I imagine the people at CBS and Mr. Moonves feel this is the vocal minority and that once they see the pilot, they'll want to pay to see the series. Time will tell how this plays out.

Me, I'm not sure yet what I'll do. I was fine waiting for the blu ray release of cable series like Mad Men and Galactica. Star Trek is different. Plus it might be cool to try this service out with the new Apple TV.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks