What's new

Paramount+ Star Trek: Discovery - Official Thread (1 Viewer)

Brandon Conway

captveg
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brandon Conway
As more and more people cut the cable cord (or take down the satellite dish) the closer we come to every channel becoming an app / subscription service. CBS is ahead of the curve for the major networks, but all the major sports, HBO, etc. are already on board. And it's services like Apple TV that will provide packages of channels to order for "deals" just like cable's model since the 90s.

I don't know if I'll be getting CBS All Access for Star Trek in January, but in 10 years it may be the only legal choice to access all of CBS' content.

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
I guess reading between the lines it's one of two things:

- CBS is trying to leverage Trek's hardcore fans into breathing new life into their service which is aimed primarily for U.S. users
or
- the CBS network in the U.S. didn't have any interest in running the show domestically, so it's being relegated to streaming but overseas networks did show interest

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
As more and more people cut the cable cord (or take down the satellite dish) the closer we come to every channel becoming an app / subscription service.
I agree but I think that's going to be to the detriment (if not the end) of quality TV. How many people are going to subscribe to 20 different channels or even 10? When subscriber numbers aren't high and they aren't generating as much money, the channels won't spend money on their shows so they'll be cheaper, they won't take chances on less commercial ideas (no more shows like The Wire, Breaking Bad or Mad Men) and it'll just lead to more cheap, easy to produce reality junk rather than high quality shows that aren't aimed squarely at the lowest possible common denominator.

Last edited:

Jason_V

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason
I guess reading between the lines it's one of two things:

- CBS is trying to leverage Trek's hardcore fans into breathing new life into their service which is aimed primarily for U.S. users
or
- the CBS network in the U.S. didn't have any interest in running the show domestically, so it's being relegated to streaming but overseas networks did show interest

The other "AND/OR" for me on this is the series was never offered to the CW or CW didn't want it. If CBS didn't want it for whatever reason, that's fine. But with the sci fi focus on CW, the new show could have anchored another night.

I don't think CBS actually has any clue what the backlash is going to be on this show. HUGE rating on the network and then it'll fall off streaming.

Joel Fontenot

Screenwriter
Real Name
Joel Fontenot
I don't care if that first episode turns out to be the best thing since the invention of the wheel, I'm not adding another subscription service to my monthly expenses for just one show. We just cut our cable bill near in half going to satellite (a lot of things my family watches is still not available through any streaming service so we are stuck with some form of cable/satellite for the time being). That saved money is already spoken for. If, at some point, separate subscription services can make up the difference in our viewing habits of what's left on cable/satellite, then it will be worth it to cut the cord altogether and add a subscription or two.

Well... cut everything but the internet. Cable is still better (and a better deal) than anything else available at the moment where I live. In fact, when switching to satellite, we had to keep the cable for internet because in my location, DirecTV only offered internet through AT&T DSL (the rep wouldn't call it that when setting up the install, but the installer verified that it would have actually been DSL), and at a such a slow rate that it would make streaming worthless.

Sam Favate

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Favate
CBS' plans for the streaming service are doubly troubling. Not only are they charging $6/month, but that's for ad-supported service. If you want ad-free service (like Netflix) it's $10/month. So, ad-free service to watch one (or possibly 4) new programs on the app will cost more than subscribing to Netflix, which has hundreds of movies and shows. It's an absolute slap in the face to Star Trek fans, who have always been treated badly by Trek's owners.

Unfortunately, blu-rays of the new series, which will eventually come, might be a long way off. To entice people to buy the service, CBS' app may have a long exclusivity deal on Star Trek.

As for the future, I think most of these apps will be free and ad-supported. Simple economics says that most people are not going to replace their cable bill with 20 fee-based streaming services. The services will realize it's better to make some money through advertising and get as many viewers as they can than it is to try to squeeze $6 or $10 a month from people. It may take a while, but that's where its heading.

Bryan^H

Senior HTF Member
And what if other networks follow the CBS All Access model?
NBC, ABC, FOX. Sure, you can pay $150 a month for cable to watch the network shows. But if you want to see all of their shows you have to shell out a little more dough.

Walter Kittel

Senior HTF Member
CBS' plans for the streaming service are doubly troubling. Not only are they charging $6/month, but that's for ad-supported service. If you want ad-free service (like Netflix) it's $10/month. So, ad-free service to watch one (or possibly 4) new programs on the app will cost more than subscribing to Netflix, which has hundreds of movies and shows. It's an absolute slap in the face to Star Trek fans, who have always been treated badly by Trek's owners.

No thanks, CBS. There are so many programming options available today that I can forgo a new Trek series under such terms.

- Walter.

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
Ugh, they want me to pay, and they still want to make me watch commercials? That's why my Hulu subscription never got out of the free trial period.

Greg.K

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Greg K.
Channel bundles will be where it's at. I eliminated DirecTV last month and switched to the Playstation Vue service. $30/mo for just about all of the basic cable networks I care about, "cloud DVR", and on-demand programming from NBC, ABC, & Fox. I can also also watch on demand programming from the networks on AppleTV. OTOH there are no current shows on any of those networks that I actually watch.

CBS is the lone holdout there. Rather than pay for CBS All Access. CBS has Big Bang Theory, Survivor and Amazing Race, so for now I'll just watch them live via antenna until end of seasons and then not bother again until fall.

Joseph Bolus

Senior HTF Member
Wow! I was just thinking about ditching my Cable package (currently close to $200/Month) for the Playstation Vue Package, My main hold up to "cutting the cord" was the availability of sports programming like ESPN and the SEC Network; along with the ability to record the games for delayed viewing. The "Playstation Vue" service has solved both of those issues: All ESPN channels are available for a modest additional $5.00 per month -- plus they have "Cloud-based DVR" which automatically saves all of your "favorite" shows for up to 28 days. I'm sold!!

As to the topic: Since I'm *starving* for some episodic Star Trek, I'll probably give "CBS All Access" a three month trial. So Star Trek is buying them that much time to convince me that it's worth as much as my Playstation Vue Sports Package.

Chris Will

Screenwriter
Real Name
Chris WIlliams
We subscribe to CBS All Access just for The Big Bang Theory so I have no problem holding onto the service for Trek. I just wish the app on Apple TV would get updated to support 5.1, everything I've watched is only 2.0. Image quality needs to be improved for older shows, first run shows look good but older stuff looks bad. Trek on Netflix looks 5 times better and is in 5.1.

5.1 vs 2.0 is a problem with all these network apps. I don't understand why you make an app that only supports 2.0, especially on devices like the Apple TV that will be in home theaters.

I subscribe to PlayStation Vue as well and love the service. Once again, my only negative is that it is limited to 2.0 audio. Can't even Pro Logic it from the PS4 Vue app because the PS4 outputs it as 5.1 with audio only in the left and right channels.

Subscribing to Vue, Netflix, Hulu and CBS All Access is still $80 cheaper then what our DirecTV bill was when we canceled.

Sam Favate

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Favate
I like the logo. Reminds me of that early-to-mid 70s logo for the original series.

Star-Trek-Gold-Key-1.jpg

Last edited:

Lou Sytsma

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Lou Sytsma
Not much there in the teaser except for the Enterprise Insignia - the texture gives me a Borg vibe?!?! Also not sure what the split in the insignia is meant to signify.

An anthology approach to the franchise definitely intrigues though.

I will never get use to CBS presents though. Star Trek will always be linked to NBC for me.

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
The background footage looked like the backgrounds from the Into Darkness end credits. Anyone else notice that? Looks like perhaps the same element treated slightly.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks