1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

Star Trek: Discovery - Official Thread

Discussion in 'TV Shows' started by David S. Peterson, Nov 2, 2015.

1. Jonathan Perregaux

Jonathan Perregaux Screenwriter

Jonathan Perregaux
    Cool, Rod Roddenberry. I've been enjoying "Mission Log," a Roddenberry Star Trek podcast for a couple years now. He's the producer. Not sure what he'll bring to the table, but bring him on.

2. Nelson Au

Nelson Au Executive Producer

I'm surprisingly not that excited by all the recent news yet. I was actually more excited to see the progress the guys at the Smirhsonisn are making on the preservation and hopefully soon restoration of the original 11 foot Enterprise filming model.

I can't seem to be saguine about this news. Maybe I'm getting cynical after all we've seen of the rebooted Star Trek films.

If these hirings are Kurtzman's decisions, are they his attempt to really do proper Star Trek? Is he really a fan at the level of Orci? I thought he was really more a TNG fan. That's not necessarily a bad thing. I imagine the TOS era is not the only era this new Star Trek series will be part of given the films are in that era, although they might want to tie them together like the Marvel films tie into Agents of SHIELD series as someone else noted.

The thing that worries me about Kurtzman is what he did on Hawaii Five-0. He made it for a modern audience. Perhaps the network wanted that. Maybe he'll have more reverence for Star Trek.

If Kurtzman hired Brian Fuller and has let Brian make the choices, then that can be a good thing. It could show to the fans they really care and or know we wanted to see some of these guys involved. Or the cynical side of me, which up to very recently I was never like, thinks this is all just lip service to please the fans. My take on Rod Roddenberry being involved is to get the Roddenberry name on the project only. I've never kept up with his projects so my impression is he's never produced a TV show before, at least not in this league.

If Fuller got Meyer on board that's great. I think there's some people who will think why hire him, he's old and may not be relevant. I disagree and like you guys feel he could bring some of the attitudes he brought to the TOS films he was involved in.

Well, I'm cautiously waiting to see what they come up with. It's a bit of a daunting task. If they hold to the basic principles the Original Series established, seeking out new Worlds and exploring the human condition, explore hot topics and also having a message, they might have something.

It doesn't matter who the crew is, it worked on the spin off series. I am reminded of a comment Roddenberry made in the 1990's I think. He hope when he's gone, that someone else redoes Star Trek and does it better then he did.

3. Gary Seven

Gary Seven Grand Poo Pah

Gaston
    I'm not as excited they brought Nick Meyer on board as others, apparently. His take militarizes Star Trek a bit too much and had Roddenberry to reel him in at the time (as well as some of the original cast). With free reign, I am cautiously optimistic. Bringing Rod on board is not significant to me as I too am not sure what he will bring to the table either.

4. Nelson Au

Gary, the militaristic aspects Meyer brought to the films are indeed good points to worry about.

5. NeilO

NeilO Producer

Osato likes this.
  6. Message #86 of 2737 Mar 14, 2016
    Last edited: Mar 14, 2016
    Kevin Hewell

Kevin Hewell Cinematographer

Kevin Hewell
    You disliked it even worse than V - The Voyage to Shatner's Ego?

7. Jason_V

Jason_V Lead Actor

Jason
    It's one of my favorites, too. It deals with a timely subject and makes sense "in universe." It shows the crew getting older and dealing with retirement/their place in the universe. You could argue it's against the idea of the Federation/Starfleet with officers plotting against peace and another species...but I personally don't see that being a problem.

8. Jonathan Perregaux

Jonathan Perregaux
    Star Trek V was an amazing film by an amazing director that benefited hugely by having ten one no Rockmen. The fact that the new Enterprise's troubles—being slapped together in a hurry and not entirely space-worthy—applied to the Captain's log device as well was nothing short of sublime.

The Final Frontier
    was truly the Showgirls of its time, wherein every single decision made on the film at every level was exactly the wrong one.

By comparison, The Undiscovered Country was virtually and literally Shakespeare.

9. DaveF

DaveF Moderator

Dave
    I'm even less interested after my wife did a week trial of CBS's service and found it the worst streaming service she's tried. A day of complete outage. Crashes and freezes. And inability to resume without having to rewatch every single ad.

10. Bryan^H

Bryan^H Lead Actor

Yikes. Star Trek: Dead on Arrival

11. TravisR

TravisR Studio Mogul

Wait until a million Trek fans all log on at the same time. I'm sure they'll anticipate more demand when they premiere it but it's not a good sign, if you're getting results like that on a normal day.

12. joshEH

joshEH Producer

Josh
    Totally. It's gonna make Yahoo Screen actually look awesome by comparison, if it's like this on Trek launch-day. Sounds like they need to get that shit fixed, stat. At least they still have the better part of this year to figure it out.

13. Osato

Osato Producer

14. Brandon Conway

Brandon Conway captveg

Brandon Conway
    It's actually not that surprising considering Meyer's involvement, as it directly follows his era of the franchise. There could be some compelling storylines with the end of the war with the Klingons, but before they have a full cooperative relationship with the Federation. Maybe use some of the US-Russia tensions of the last 25 years as a template.

Osato likes this.
  15. Osato

Osato Producer

My first thought was about having the special version Star Trek 6 blu Ray with new transfer.
    Yet another reason ALL of the trek films should've been given new transfers this year.

The news is exciting to me though. Especially since nick Meyer is involved.

16. Jonathan Perregaux

Jonathan Perregaux
    "Quick, somebody buy back all the Star Trek shit Paramount auctioned off!"

—CBS

17. Josh Steinberg

Josh Steinberg Executive Producer
    Reviewer

Josh Steinberg
    On one hand, I'm excited to get Star Trek back.

On the other hand, everything I've heard so far (with the exception of Nicholas Meyer joining the crew) has left me underwhelmed, whether it was the needing a special subscription to CBS online to watch it, now to this news.

What I like is that it appears to be covering a Star Trek period that hasn't yet been covered, but what I don't like is that it's another prequel/sequel type of thing. If the show takes place after some Star Trek movies, but before the other popular existing Star Trek property (TNG), there's a limit to what kind of stories they can actually tell, otherwise it's a continuity nightmare. It's been established what technology does and doesn't exist, what civilizations are allies and which are enemies, etc. Instead of being wholly a new thing, it will be forced to try to fit in with things we already know. Any suspense story having to do with whether the Federation might survive obviously won't have suspense, because you know it does. I felt that really hampered Enterprise, to a certain extent with the show being a prequel, there were a lot of things from the get-go that you just knew they couldn't do. And the anthology aspect isn't necessarily appealing - I'd prefer a regular show with regular characters that we could journey with for multiple seasons.

Now, that's not to say that they won't make something incredibly appealing and that I won't change my mind after seeing it. I'm still going to try it out. But this is just kinda the opposite of what I was hoping for. For all of the knocks that the JJ Abrams films get, one of the things I like about their new timeline is that they're not locked into the decisions made by decades of writers and producers. I think a new Star Trek series would be better taking place after all of the previous shows, or in the JJ Abrams alternate universe, so that they could be truly free to run with it.

KevinGress likes this.
  18. Nelson Au

I'm glad they chose to avoid the rebooted JJ verse.

I'm not too worried the series is in the Prime Universe so soon after the events of the last TOS film. There's still a slim chance given this series occurs after Star Trek 6 that we see the real Kirk appear in it. :). Though that's not essential.

The only thing that's possibly odd is doing Star Trek as an anthology. Though that would be a first and a new way of making it fresh with new characters and situations outside of Kirk's crew. And you'd still know those guys are out there and could show up.

19. Sam Favate

Sam Favate Lead Actor

Sam Favate
    I don't think the announcement meant it was going to take place right after Star Trek VI. It said "between STVI and TNG" so that's an 80 year window, it seems to me, when the series could take place. I doubt, for example, it would take place on board the Enterprise-B, since we saw that ship, it's captain and crew in Generations.

20. Nelson Au

Sure, it could be 20 years after ST6.

Osato likes this.