What's new

Paramount+ Star Trek: Discovery - Official Thread (2 Viewers)

joshEH

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh
From the dialogue from The Menagerie, Kirk does say he took command over from Pike. So how much longer will Pike command the Discovery? Presumably until the Red Angel crisis is resolved, or the Enterprise is repaired. So I have no idea what will happen to this series next season. Does it end? Do they continue with another captain? Will they end the series and rework it as Star Trek Enterprise with Pike in command? That would be cool. But then Burnham will have to move on, or perhaps the Burnham journey goes to one of the theories floating around. I don’t 100 percent agree with the theories and the theory I’m thinking of might be more viable. Right now I am feeling that I really like how the series is going with Pike in command and how Anson Mount is playing the role. I don’t want to see it end.
Kirk takes command of the Enterprise around 2264 or thereabouts, according to previous official sources, so about six or maybe 6.5 years to go, here. We also know from "Where No Man Has Gone Before" that he commanded at least one other starship prior to gaining the Enterprise from Pike (and that Gary Mitchell served under him aboard that command), so given where DSC currently is in the TOS timeline (very late 2257, or possibly early 2258), Kirk should be taking over his first starship relatively soon, here, given that a Constitution-class vessel would require either a great deal of seniority and/or a great deal of raw talent to obtain command of.

Carabimero

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alan
I am guessing you are more privileged to hear things that went on during the production of the first season.
I wasn't in the room where the unfortunate events [repeatedly] occurred, but I was in the building where the room was and talked directly to relevant people who came out of the room.

But what’s interesting is that most new Star Trek is compared to TOS and is measured against it.
It's hard not to compare DSC with TOS when we're asked to believe DSC takes place ten years earlier. I've never disputed that we've been told the show takes place in Prime ten years before. However, I do know legally if they could have, they would have made it even look more Kelvin-like. They pushed it as far as they legally could to make it look that way.

My main resentment is the way some venerable Star Trek alum were treated in those early days of DSC. Not only were they treated disrespectfully but in my opinion with contempt. And I'm talking about in regards of the visual look of the show.

Thankfully, happier days are here again with Pike and crew. Onward and upward.

tempest21

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Mark
I was reading an article about the recent episode of Discovery about how Saru's race, the Kelpians, were a race of conquerors and how they could be again. That it would take them generations before that could happen. What if, and this would be an interesting way to tie Discovery into the original Star Trek timeline.universe, what if the Kelpians evolved into the Founders of the Gamma Quadrant?

Before anyone laughs, I know how ridiculous it sounds and how it's unlikely being that they are two different species. But, that evolution in the Star Trek universe has always evolved. TOS, TNG, DS9, even Voyager dealt with members of an alien race evolving beyond their physical form. It's been a recurring theme throughout the many iterations of the Star Trek saga.

It's probably ridiculous that it would be that way but it would make for an interesting theory, regarding how to connect the two timelines, the two different Star Trek universes.

joshEH

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh
I was reading an article about the recent episode of Discovery about how Saru's race, the Kelpians, were a race of conquerors and how they could be again. That it would take them generations before that could happen. What if, and this would be an interesting way to tie Discovery into the original Star Trek timeline.universe, what if the Kelpians evolved into the Founders of the Gamma Quadrant?

Before anyone laughs, I know how ridiculous it sounds and how it's unlikely being that they are two different species. But, that evolution in the Star Trek universe has always evolved. TOS, TNG, DS9, even Voyager dealt with members of an alien race evolving beyond their physical form. It's been a recurring theme throughout the many iterations of the Star Trek saga.

It's probably ridiculous that it would be that way but it would make for an interesting theory, regarding how to connect the two timelines, the two different Star Trek universes.
This wouldn't be possible, since the Dominion was already over 2,000 years old by the time period of DS9 (at least one other episode gave a "10,000 years old" figure), plus this would be huge example of "small-universe syndrome" if it were true. There's still plenty of room left in the Star Trek universe for lots of species possessing similar evolutionary characteristics across the galaxy, including what the Kelpiens have exhibited.

Jason_V

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason
Finally got caught up last night. I don't have a whole lot to say that hasn't already been said...but dang. I've said it since the beginning of the year: the season is light years better than Season 1. The characters feel more real, the acting has largely settled down, the story is big enough for a season while allowing for the character moments we all wanted.

My only gripe: how Saru let Ash and Stamets duke it out in the mess hall. No Starfleet captain we've seen (aside from Lorca, maybe) would be okay with that. Pike let Saru off the hook very easily and I'm half thinking that's setting up the character for...something...down the road. It felt really out of character, especially knowing how slavish to "the rules" he was way back in early Season 1.

The only "gripe in waiting" I have is how this crew is going to get around the penalties for going to Talos IV. That's it. But right now, I have enough faith in these writers and show runners to let the season play out and go on the ride.

Someone said it up thread and I'll just say it again: the end shot of Georgiou walking away from Leland SCREAMED at me "this is set up for the new series, so get on board." The fact they're using the entire season to set her up in this universe with Section 31 is the right way to create the spinoff. It feels more organic to the way "the world" works and will allow for the traditional pilot episode to be WAY more polished than anything we've seen before. I still don't love the open secret of Section 31, but I guess I have to get on board with that.

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
Last week’s Discovery episode, If Memory Serves surprised me. I’d watched The Cage a few times prior and it’s one of my favorite episodes of the last couple of years. And I watched The Menagerie Part 1 prior to the Discovery episode and part 2 after. If Memory Serves had me feeling really nostalgic. But I don’t think that’s a proper description. It’s not like I had not seen The Cage in years. I think sentimental might be more apt and I think what struck me the most was the story of Pike and Vina. The feelings that Pike and Vina have for each other after the events of The Cage appear to have been very powerful and it was so well played in the episode. It’s something we’ve never seen before. I find myself still thinking about it.

I think the final reveal of what Burnham did to Spock and how it affected him was powerful stuff too. And it was something I felt was helping to further explain why we’ve never heard Spock refer to her before.

But the story of Pike and Vina really got me. I’m still thinking about the episode and I don’t think I can watch The Cage again without thinking more about the consequences of the experience.

Greg.K

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Greg K.
The only "gripe in waiting" I have is how this crew is going to get around the penalties for going to Talos IV. That's it. But right now, I have enough faith in these writers and show runners to let the season play out and go on the ride.

Getting away with insubordination is a tried and true Trek trope at this point.

Jason_V

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason
Getting away with insubordination is a tried and true Trek trope at this point.

Agreed. For me to be okay with this-and the fact a Federation ship visited Talos IV-something will have to happen, repercussion wise. To someone. If it's a slap on the wrist, demoting Pike back to the Enterprise, etc.-whatever. It can't just be swept under the rug.

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
I think the higher ups will pretend it didn’t happen. Section 31 followed them there, and Section 31 doesn’t exist, so Starfleet can’t confirm the mission existed on those grounds alone. Then throw in that Pike was rescuing Spock from what was essentially a Section 31-imposed death sentence for a crime that didn’t actually occur at that Section 31 is lying to Starfleet about, and... this is an easy one for me to believe gets swept under the rug.

Jason_V

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason
Normally, I'd agree. But this is an open Section 31. Admiral Cornwell knows they exist and I can't imagine they're discreet around the admiralty but flaunting themselves around the fleet. We'll see...there's not many more episodes until the season finale.

Carabimero

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alan
Relatively speaking, you are correct. However, the season is only one episode over being halfway done...we still have six more episodes, I believe.

Jason_V

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason
Fourteen episodes this season, this week is Number Nine. The season finale should air April 18, if my calendar-math is right. You're right on the episode count...there's just fewer to get to the end than there are which got us to this point.

Carabimero

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alan
I hope they aren't doing a hiatus this season, but go straight through all 14. I think their plan is to start up with THE GOOD FIGHT in hopes of keeping subscribers after DSC ends for the season. It will work for us as we really enjoy that show, as well.

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
I think the plan is to air the shows uninterrupted. They're premiering the Twilight Zone reboot in time to overlap with the last couple Discovery episodes; I'm sure the hope there is to keep the people who canceled after Discovery ended last season to stick around a while longer. It just may work for me!

Normally, I'd agree. But this is an open Section 31. Admiral Cornwell knows they exist and I can't imagine they're discreet around the admiralty but flaunting themselves around the fleet. We'll see...there's not many more episodes until the season finale.

I think it remains a question of just how open they are. I'm not sure if it's ever come up here, but notice Discovery's registry number? NCC-1031. Can it really be coincidence that out of all the registry numbers available, the showrunners came up with one that happens to include "31" in it? I'm not suggesting that Discovery is a top secret Section 31 vessel, but... I get the sense that they're not a typical ship and that they're operating at times outside the normal chain of command and operating procedures.

Given that Section 31's ship just got hoodwinked by the Talosians, maybe they won't even report that they went there :D

Jason_V

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason
AND Twilight Zone starts on April 1. That has me very excited. Once the regular TV season is over, I want to see what Tell Me a Story is all about, too.

Carabimero

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alan
None of the Twilight Zone reboots have ever really worked for me. The only episode I even remotely remember liking is from the 80s reboot about the boy from the present day who talks to the girl from the time of the Salem witch trials. I'm hoping this reboot will finally be one I can latch onto.

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
My favorite 80’s Twilight Zone are Profile in Silver and The Once and Future King. I admire Kennedy and so Profile really stuck with me.

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
While we wait for tonight’s episode, I saw news on the trekmovie site that the Michelle Yeoh Section 31 series is “a couple of years away”. That’s a surprise and that Captain Georgiou is still planned to appear in the third season of Discovery. I guess the new Picard series goes first. The Picard series was announced before the Section 31 show so that makes sense. It felt like this season of Discovery was grooming the Section 31 series.

https://trekmovie.com/2019/03/11/cbs-executive-gives-status-update-on-star-trek-section-31-series/

Maybe there’s cold feet. Or they just have limited resources to produce so many new series.

Jason_V

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason
I think there's a whole lot more excitement for the Picard show, and it's further along in the development process with the cast being locked down, so that's coming next to bring more fans back.

Plus, with all respect to Sir Patrick, there has to be some thought process about his age. Anything can happen to anyone at any time, but pushing The Picard Show a couple of years may render it a moot point.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks