1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

Star Trek: Discovery - Official Thread

Discussion in 'TV Shows' started by David S. Peterson, Nov 2, 2015.

1. Carabimero

Carabimero Producer
    Supporter

Alan
    My guess is we are not the only ones; that said, I'd imagine the number is small.

When you get a chance to listen, let me know what you think. Now that I have the DVD and BD, I kinda like having the odd VHS music, but back when it was all I had, I resented it.

Josh Steinberg likes this.
  2. Josh Steinberg

Josh Steinberg Executive Producer
    Reviewer

Josh Steinberg
    Any idea why they changed it? Clearance issue?

3. Message #2383 of 2416 Mar 15, 2019
    Last edited: Mar 16, 2019
    Carabimero

Carabimero Producer
    Supporter

Alan
    Go back and read my original posts...I updated one to offer a possible explanation: Harlan requested it. But in truth, Harlan was always saying things to yank my chain, so am I certain that's why the music was changed? No.

BTW: I'm going to be MIA for next week's episode of DSC. I'll post about it first part of the week, if I can.

4. Josh Steinberg

Reviewer

Josh Steinberg
    TravisR likes this.
  5. TravisR

TravisR Studio Mogul

Looking at that picture, I was right and it doesn't take up that much space.

Now get the laserdiscs!

joshEH and Josh Steinberg like this.
  6. Josh Steinberg

Reviewer

Josh Steinberg
    Only if you have room for me to move in with you...because I will be thrown out of here if I try that!! :D

Carabimero and TravisR like this.
  7. Nelson Au

Nelson Au Executive Producer

I had all those VHS tapes! I sold them with the original cellophane as I cut it open on the bottom too. I do have the laserdiscs! Josh, the changed music on City is awful! It was a clearance issue. If you have the La La Land Star Trek TOS Soundtrack set, the original Goodnight Sweetheart is there. And in stereo. Fortunately Paramount got the rights issue sorted out and the music is right on the DVDs and Blu Ray. On the VHS and laserdisc editions, altered music occurs in several places where the notes from Goodnight Sweetheart is used in the score. So the song playing on the radio is changed as is the score by Fred Steiner! The tracked music remains intact.

Enjoy the tapes!

joshEH, Josh Steinberg and Carabimero like this.
  8. Sam Favate

Sam Favate Lead Actor

Sam Favate

Why do my TOS VHS tapes appear to take up so much more room? It's a spacetime paradox for sure.

9. BobO'Link

BobO'Link Producer

Howie
    Josh's photo really makes me want to get my tapes out and display them again (and I have 2 VHS players in storage - easy to get to - and just enough space to add one to the playback devices stack). I could possibly "sacrifice" a shelving unit that's currently being used for "staged/unopened/unwatched" titles... just gotta find a spot to stack all that material... It'd look similar to Josh's as it'll likely just hold the entire Trek collection (I have 2 DVD sets of TOS - the original "communicator" boxes and the latest remastered all-in-one box, the later black box TNG seasons, the original DS9 seasons, the colored translucent plastic Voyager set, and the original Enterprise set as well as TOS, TNG, and Enterprise on BR with the latter two in the UK boxes which have the megapak cases PLUS all the TOS/TNG movies in the DVD 2-disc releases, the all-in-one BR release, ST:TMP theatrical on DVD, ST:TWOK SE BR, and finally the "New Trek" movies on DVD and BR - OH!... also TAS on DVD and BR).

10. Nelson Au

Yes Howie, after looking at Josh’s photo of the VHS tapes of TOS gave me such an overwhelming sense of nostalgia that it has me considering searching out a set of the tapes. I did own that same entire collection. I’d forgotten it was one episode per tape, plus the extra one for The Cage. I do have the laserdiscs of the entire series, I sold the tapes to help fund the laserdiscs. So the contents of the laserdiscs are identical I believe, from the same masters. The cover art is the same too except altered to show two episodes. I doubt I’d watch the tapes though. I might just dig out the laserdiscs and spin a few to see how they look and sound.

11. Message #2391 of 2416 Mar 16, 2019
    Last edited: Mar 17, 2019
    joshEH

joshEH Producer

Josh
    Also, Tilly's mention in this week's episode of running away at 16 and doing some computer hacking is a direct reference to the (great) recent DSC novel The Way to the Stars, written by Una McCormack. Having just read it not too long ago, hearing Mary Wiseman say that definitely made me immediately set up and take notice.

12. Sam Favate

Sam Favate Lead Actor

Sam Favate
  13. Jason_V

Jason_V Lead Actor

Jason
    Not sure if it's a spoiler, but being safe...

There's another version of that story which says both Mount and Rebecca Romijn are both leaving. And seemed odd for that article to say "major characters" to me since Romijn has been in exactly one episode and only in the teaser of that episode, IIRC.

This is sad news since Mount and Pike have been superb in this season. Here's the thing, though. For me, the new creative staff have enough good will from this season for me to give them the benefit of the doubt on next year. This shouldn't shock any of us, but I was hoping to have another year of Pike.

https://deadline.com/2019/03/anson-mount-star-trek-discovery-exit-rebecca-romijn-altercation-director-season-2-1202577741/

joshEH likes this.
  14. Josh Steinberg

Reviewer

Josh Steinberg
    I was expecting Pike’s mission aboard Discovery to be a “one and done” thing from the beginning.

I’ve loved Mount in the role. He’s frequently been the best part of this show.

But Captain Christopher Pike is the captain of the Enterprise, and this show is about the Discovery. There’s only so much of Pike’s story that they can fold in before it starts becoming implausible in the larger universe.

That said, if they ever want to do a Pike show with Mount down the road, I’m in.

15. Nelson Au

If there is a Pike series I’m in too.

Hit it.

Neil Middlemiss likes this.
  16. Harry-N

Harry-N Cinematographer

Harry N.
    This is a story I've relayed elsewhere and it still mystifies me. It's about the music in "City On The Edge Of Forever."

Way back in the "dark times", before the Internet, at the dawn of home video, I rented "City On The Edge Of Forever" from Fotomat. Remember those anyone? You'd call a number, reserve a tape at a Fotomat location, and they'd have it ready for you to drive up and pick it up on your way home from work. This was in the early 80s, after a decade of STAR TREK only being available on local TV in really crappy 16mm prints with faded color. These rentals from Fotomat came directly from Paramount, so they looked great compared to what we were used to. There was nothing odd or wrong about the soundtrack. "Good Night Sweetheart" played as always.

In a couple of years, Fotomat was crumbling and sold off their inventory of home videos to anyone who wanted them. They were all past rentals and you took your chances as to what you'd get. I bought all ten of the episodes - two per tape - that they offered, and it included "City...". Again, no altered soundtrack.

In the mid 80s, Paramount began to sell the one-per-tape episodes of STAR TREK that Josh and Nelson are talking about and picturing. Wanting to own this one series above all others, I scrambled to come up with the funds every few months or so, when they'd issue another set of 10 episodes. They retailed for $14.95 a piece, and I was usually able to find them in bunches of 10 for around $10 a piece. So every couple of months, I'd have to plunk down $100 for ten episodes on VHS tape. In that third bunch was "City On The Edge Of Forever", and here's the kicker - THERE WAS NO ALTERATION OF THE MUSIC. This puzzled me a great deal as when I attended conventions or read articles in magazines, the discussion was often present that there was something altered on "City..." in home video. Something about music rights and a changed score. But my copy had "Good Night Sweetheart", just like it always did, and I was very confused.

I never acquired "City..." on LaserDisc, and my next purchase of the title came on one of those two-fer DVDs. Original score - no changes. Since then DVD, restored DVD, and Blu-ray - all with original "Goodnight Sweetheart" in the score.

So, to date, I have NEVER heard the altered score. I wonder if it's on YouTube anywhere?

17. Sam Favate

Sam Favate Lead Actor

Sam Favate
    The VHS tape I had of City..., which I bought in '89 or '90, said on the front of the package "some music has been altered in this film's soundtrack."

18. Harry-N

Harry-N Cinematographer

Harry N.
    Mine said that too, but nothing was altered on the actual tape.

Unfortunately, I no longer have the tape. I gave nearly all of them away when I got the DVDs. I kept only one - with an autograph by James Doohan.

19. Philip Verdieck

Philip Verdieck Second Unit

Philip Verdieck
    Huh, I finally watched last weeks episode, and there certainly appears to have been some changes to the structure of 31...

20. Message #2400 of 2416 Mar 20, 2019 at 12:52 PM
    Last edited: Mar 20, 2019 at 1:00 PM
    Philip Verdieck

Philip Verdieck Second Unit

Philip Verdieck
    Most of the bridge crew have no input on that recommendation, its the senior officers and those most qualified (science officer), the omission of Number 1 was probably an oversight. The helmsman, navigator, comm officer, engineering officer opinions are irrelevant.

I do note that Spock referred to himself as a Lieutenant in last weeks episode when interrogated.
    I forget if his rank was mentioned in The Cage.
    He was a Commander in TOS, IIRC