Star Trek Beyond (2016) (1 Viewer)

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
5 directors rumored to be in the running for Star Trek 3
FIVE SURPRISING DIRECTORS UP FOR THE STAR TREK 3 JOBSwitching now to our usual pop culture obsessions, we thought we'd get some big news early this week when Roberto Orci departed as director of Star Trek 3 (he will stay on as producer) and Edgar Wright (Shaun of the Dead, Hot Fuzz) was rumored to take his place. Such a hiring would have allowed Wright to work with frequent collaborator Simon Pegg, who plays Scotty. A new shortlist was revealed this week, and the first surprise is that Edgar Wright isn't on the list, at all. Instead, the front runner is now said to be Rupert Wyatt, who delivered an effective reboot with Rise of the Planet of the Apes and also directed the new Mark Wahlberg drama, The Gambler. Three other names on the list are Morten Tyldum (The Imitation Game, Headhunters), Daniel Espinosa (Safe House, Easy Money), and Justin Lin (Fast & Furious, Fast Five, Fast & Furious 6). The fifth director listed was Duncan Jones (Moon, Source Code), who quickly replied that, following his upcoming Warcraft movie, he "absolutely MUST make my own thing next, or I'll die of old age!" Looking at the work of the directors Paramount is considering, we can detect an emphasis on either dramas or action films, but none of them are particularly humorous in the style of Edgar Wright. Having noted that, there was a rumor this week that Paramount might be trying to sculpt Star Trek 3 into something more like Marvel's Guardians of the Galaxy.
My vote is for Rupert Wyatt. Loved what he did with the first Apes film. Also hope they don't go the Guardians route. Loved Guardians but don't think it would be the right tone for ST3.

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
And from Deadline
EXCLUSIVE: Paramount Pictures, JJ Abrams and Skydance Productions are eyeing five top directors to replace Roberto Orci as the Star Trek 3 helmer, I’m told. This is the hot open directing assignment of the moment. Studio is high on and has met with Rupert Wyatt, who helmed Rise of the Planet of the Apes, and the new remake The Gambler with Mark Wahlberg for Paramount. He seems to be atop this list, but he’s got company. Morten Tyldum, director of the Oscar bait film The Imitation Game, is on a list that also features Safe House helmer Daniel Espinosa, who has wrapped Child 44 with Tom Hardy; Justin Lin, the Fast & Furious helmer who became available when his Bourne Legacy sequel with Jeremy Renner got pushed back to make way for another Bourne Identity with Matt Damon and Paul Greengrass (Lin could return to the Fast series, making multiple movies in a single shoot, to wrap up that race car franchise); finally there is also Duncan Jones, the Source Code helmer.Now, when you aim for the hot emerging directors in town, there are a lots of variables including schedule conflicts and this list might not be an all-inclusive list. For instance, Espinosa is expected to next direct Boston Strong, the film about the bombing of the Boston Marathon and the manhunt for the terrorist siblings, that is supposed to shoot in time to include footage from the upcoming Boston Marathon; and Jones is working on Warcraft, a huge Legendary Pictures effort based on the video game. Deadline broke the news that Orci exited the directing chair earlier this month. He was tapped to replace JJ Abrams, who left to revive the Star Wars franchise. Orci remains a producer with Abrams and others, and Orci helped craft the first two Trek installments that Abrams directed. At the time of the Orci exit, I’d heard Edgar Wright. Not hearing his name in this mix. Stay tuned.

Sam Favate

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Favate
If the references to Guardians help Paramount turn out a Star Trek film that's more fun and less grim than the last one, I'm all for it.

Osato

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tim
I'm hoping for a more classic feeling Star Trek film this time around.
ID was just ok for me. It doesn't have a lot of rewatch value either.

dpippel

Yoyodyne Propulsion Systems
Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug
Me too. I'm growing pretty tired of the "blowin' stuff up real good/revenge-motivated antagonist" actioner motif. It would be REALLY nice to see a film more grounded in the vein of the original Trek. However, since the current formula is pulling in the big bucks for Paramount I hold out no hope whatsoever that they'll change the format. More of the same is 99% likely IMO.

Carl Johnson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Carl III
I too am growing tired of the angry alien with super powerful weapon determined to destroy earth plotline. I understood that a feature film needs a story deeper than the Enterprise finding a class M planet while exploring an uncharted starsystem. That being said rehashing the same plot with a different cast can only be done so many times before it gets stale.

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
If there's one thing I really want for this movie, it's for 0% of it to be set on Earth. It made sense for the previous films to spend some time there but I think it's time to move on.Hopefully no one will tell Kirk he's not ready to be captain again in this one!

edit: another quick thought just occurred. I think it was Roger Ebert who said that it's not what a movie's about, but how it's about that. I love "Star Trek: The Motion Picture" but if you reduce the plot to a single line, it's basically the same as the new Treks.. "an unstoppable force heads towards Earth on a path of destruction" ... but the thing about it is how well it does that story. So if they want to do something with destruction and explosions, I guess that's okay... but maybe just do it in a way where the end result of all the plotting and all of the storylines and special effects comes down to more than just two guys in a fistfight.

Bryan^H

Senior HTF Member
Josh Steinberg said:
If there's one thing I really want for this movie, it's for 0% of it to be set on Earth. It made sense for the previous films to spend some time there but I think it's time to move on.
Absolutely. Deep space, preferably orbiting some oddball planet with a name like Adris IV(made that up) . It would be great to see Kirk, Spock, and Bones beam down to some planet for a perfect "Away Mission" story.

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
Looks like Justin Lin got the job. From Deadline:"EXCLUSIVE: Paramount Pictures, Skydance Productions and JJ Abrams’ Bad Robot just set Justin Lin to direct Star Trek 3, filling the biggest open directing assignment out there with the filmmaker credited with reviving the Fast And The Furious series. Lin helmed a trio of the films that grossed $1.7 billion in worldwide box office.linjuHe replaces Robert Orci, who got that job after being involved as co-writer of the revamped Star Trek series. The first two installments were directed by JJ Abrams, who then left to direct a revival of the Star Wars franchise with Star Wars: Episode VII: The Force Awakens. I reported that several top ranked filmmakers were in contention, but I’m told that Lin was the only one to be offered the job. He is available because he was going to direct the sequel to The Bourne Legacy spinoff with Jeremy Renner, but that film got postponed when Matt Damon and Paul Greengrass agreed to do another installment of The Bourne Identity, which Universal wants to come first. Lin was courted to return to the Fast & Furious franchise to do a multi-part finale, but I am not sure whether that will be in the cards in light of the Star Trek job. Orci remains a producer on the Star Trek film. The first one grossed $380 million worldwide in 2009 and the sequel, Star Trek Into Darkness, grossed over $460 million worldwide, opening May 2013.

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
dpippel said:
Me too. I'm growing pretty tired of the "blowin' stuff up real good/revenge-motivated antagonist" actioner motif. It would be REALLY nice to see a film more grounded in the vein of the original Trek. However, since the current formula is pulling in the big bucks for Paramount I hold out no hope whatsoever that they'll change the format. More of the same is 99% likely IMO.
With the news of Justin Lin, I think you can push that percentage up to 100 now. :)

Jonathan Perregaux

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jonathan Perregaux
Thank you Paramount, but I am not interested in "Star Trek: Tokyo Drift." Consider me a lost fan of this increasingly awful film series.

RobertR

Senior HTF Member
Jonathan Perregaux said:
Thank you Paramount, but I am not interested in "Star Trek: Tokyo Drift." Consider me a lost fan of this increasingly awful film series.
They lost me after the first film in the series, but this just confirms my decision. I fully expect lots of frenetic action, lots of blowing things up, and a "let's throw in references to old episodes" approach. No thanks.

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
I think it's natural to expect the director of several of the Fast and Furious franchise films to think he may bring that sensibility to a Star Trek film. I'm not sure what to think of this development. I like some of the Fast and Furious films, especially Tokyo Drift! I hate to admit that to a Star Trek group and being a Star Trek fan first and foremost. Tokyo Drift has some style to it. And it had a personal story too. Sure it wasn't Lawrence of Arabia, but it stood out to me.Opportunities for Asian American film makers in Hollywood is rare. I remember looking up Lin's background after seeing FF Tokyo Drift and I believe one of his first films was very well received at Sundance and Roger Ebert himself stood up and gave the film his thumbs up. I'm going to keep an open mind to this one. As much as I dislike what Orci and JJ did to Star Trek, I'm actually surprised at myself that this development might be a positive one. I read an interesting article about Guardians of the Galaxy. The author basically said adapting a comic to film will require certain changes to make it work for a 2 hour film. You don't have to slavishly adhere to every detail of the source material. As long as you get the bases done or take certain elements and build them up well, then that's okay. I think Orci tried that. But I think he missed. If Orci is still involved, then I'm not sure how much Lin will he able to make this his own film. He seems capable from past projects to do films that's more then just about fast cars and action and more about characters. Of course after this, I hope he gets to do the final chapters of the FF franchise to close that up.

Neil Middlemiss

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neil Middlemiss
He also directed several episodes of Community and is working on True Detective season two. Surely we can cut him some slack before the declarations of this being a sign of the Trek apocalypse are made ;)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks