Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neil Middlemiss
neil-middlemiss

Star Trek Beyond Blu-ray Review

star-trek-beyond-1-1024x512.jpg

Star Trek Beyond is the third film in the reboot series that take place in an alternate timeline of Kirk and crews early years (known as the Kelvin timeline). It’s a solid Star Trek film and an exciting action film that for many reason, some of which make sense and some that do not, failed to live up to Paramount’s lofty performance expectations. For this lifelong Star Trek fan, Beyond is a good film that captures the Trek spirit and is perhaps the best display of character interaction that we’ve seen from the crew in this timeline. But, despite a likeable script with good doses of humor from Simon Pegg (Scotty) and Doug Jung, there is a feeling that we’ve seen most of the ideas on display here before.

[review]
Click here to read the original article.

Last edited by a moderator:

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
Nice Review Neil, as usual.

I'll be picking this up for sure. I agree with your review in regards to Lin and the screenwriters trying and succeeding in evoking the spirit of TOS. I do want to see this film again having only seen it once in the theater. I'll be curious to see those shot of the Enterprise that your review refers to. Though I much prefer the design of the Motion Picture Enterprise you have at the top of the review. :)

I think it's a bit unfair that the studios place these Star Wars like goals for box office for these films to reach. This franchise is pretty popular, but I don't think it ever could surpass Star Wars as much as I'd like it to. So for future films, I agree there will be more. Lets hope the TPTB carries on with more with this kind of flavor. Maybe Lin can come back even though he didn't seem interested to.

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
I never picked up Into Darkness on Blu-Ray because I just never felt the need to revisit that film. But this one will be in my collection for sure. Thanks for continuing your great run of Star Trek Blu-Ray reviews, Neil.

Carabimero

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alan
Excellent review, mirrors much of how I feel about the movie. I appreciate your time, sensibilities, and writing skill. Your review made me feel better about the BD, which I have long had pre-ordered.

Osato

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tim
Great review!

I plan on picking up the target version during the holidays.

I enjoyed the music score in this film too!

Dick

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rick
Nope, pass. Paramount gets nothing from me on this one, even the 3D version. I am too pissed off at the studio for relegating a commentary track to an iTunes purchase, meaning I can't hold a physical disc in my hands that contains it. Screw you, studios, for your online and retailer exclusives. Is there any wonder that we don't trust corporations as far as we can spit?

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
For what it's worth, the Blu-ray contains a coupon allowing the purchaser to get the iTunes version for free - so anyone purchasing the BD will have access to the commentary without the need for an additional purchase. It's less than ideal but is better than requiring a double dip.

Jason_V

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason
Thanks Neil!

This will be a purchase later down the road. I wasn't excited for the movie, felt it was "fine" (aside, as you mentioned, the character moments) but forgot it almost instantly. Nothing is compelling me to watch it again right now.

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Neil:

Thanks for a great review.

This is a blind buy for me. I've seen the other films in the recent series and liked them...so this is a no-brainer for this casual Trek fan. I just didn't get to it in the theater this summer.

I'm sure I'll like it...and your review pretty much cinches it for me.

I'm especially glad to hear about the Atmos soundtrack. Any Atmos track I've got has sounded exceptionally good to me on my non-Atmos system. I understand the logistics (limitations) of the situation but believe there is something in the sauce which lifts the mixes into a better place.

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
Mike, I think you'll like it a lot. It's a lighter and more fun movie than the previous one, the cast is great in it, and if you're familiar with the original show there are some nice winks and nods to it. The interactions between the crew felt very much inspired by the original show to me. I'm looking forward to seeing it again very soon!

Joel Fontenot

Screenwriter
Real Name
Joel Fontenot
For what it's worth, the Blu-ray contains a coupon allowing the purchaser to get the iTunes version for free - so anyone purchasing the BD will have access to the commentary without the need for an additional purchase. It's less than ideal but is better than requiring a double dip.

Unless, like me, one does not have, and will never use iTunes.

Minor quibble for me, though. I'm still buying this BD.

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
Unless, like me, one does not have, and will never use iTunes.

Minor quibble for me, though. I'm still buying this BD.

That's entirely a user's choice, of course, and it's certainly not my place to talk you into something you're against. But just speaking for myself, it's a free program. I already have it so this is a no brainier for me. But when Star Trek Into Darkness came out on disc, there were some Best Buy exclusive online bonus features that could be accessed for free on what was then their iTunes-like program. I downloaded it for free, watched the bonus material, and never used it again. For Star Trek Beyond, it's the same deal with iTunes. I just wanted to make sure that info was available to anyone who could benefit from it.

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
For anyone purchasing the 3D edition, did yours come with a slipcase? (Or did you happen to see it in the store with a slipcase even if you didn't actually buy the 3D version?) Amazon's product description seems to indicate that it should, and yet, mine didn't have one.

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
For anyone purchasing the 3D edition, did yours come with a slipcase? (Or did you happen to see it in the store with a slipcase even if you didn't actually buy the 3D version?) Amazon's product description seems to indicate that it should, and yet, mine didn't have one.
My 3-D copy had a slipcase but I got it from Target.

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
Thanks Travis. I wrote to Amazon and they agreed to send me a new copy with the slipcase, so fingers crossed. For most things I wouldn't care as much, but darn it, I have slipcases for all the reboot Treks and I want this one to match!

B-ROLL

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bryan
So My ST: Beyond Bluray came by UPS today and ...
In the store it appeared there ere two cover variant's one with Robert Pine's kid on the front and the other with Zachary Quinto ... You may want to open the package from the top as the images are of the "Collectable" character cards & they are just reversed for the Quinto version, The slipcover is plastic and has a clear area for the cards to show through.

Interestingly the blu-ray case itself says Blu-Ray 3D where the standard blu-ray logo is ... but the insert in the case says BLU-RAY + DVD +DIGITAL HD inside the case are three discs ... A Bluray that says * Feature Film *Special Features.
As second Blu-ray disc that says:* Special Features
And most important for those of us who have blu-ray players: A DVD of the FEATURE FILM :rock::dance::banana::dancing-banana-04::drum:

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks