What's new

Star Trek Beyond (2016) (1 Viewer)

RobertR

Senior HTF Member
Gary Seven said:
And of course that makes sense that a kid would be in command of the flagship of the fleet, a ship where there are only 12 like it, that is supposed to be commanded by a very special person, as it takes a very special person to command a starship...not in this universe. Give the kid a job and have him train on the job.

This timeline of Trek is rather silly to be honest.
That's because the makers of these films didn't give a rat's ass about things that make sense in the trek universe. They just wanted younger actors in a movie with lots of Pow Bang Neato FX that would appeal to twenty and thirty somethings with no emotional connection to the original show. And they succeeded.

FoxyMulder

映画ファン
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
Chris Pine is hitting 35 next year, that's the same age as Shatner when he did the original series.

Jason Charlton

Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason Charlton
RobertR said:
That's because the makers of these films didn't give a rat's ass about things that make sense in the trek universe. They just wanted younger actors in a movie with lots of Pow Bang Neato FX that would appeal to twenty and thirty somethings with no emotional connection to the original show. And they succeeded.
I am neither a twenty-something nor a thirty-something. I have deep emotional ties to the original series and have been a fan of it all my life.

I rather enjoyed the 2009 ST reboot and fully embraced the concept of an alternate timeline and new trek universe.

I don't think fans or detractors of this movie (or any movie, for that matter) can be categorically placed into one of only two buckets of preferences and opinions.

To steer this discussion back to the point of this thread:

While I am attempting to remain as spoiler-free as possible, I have high hopes that some of the "big picture" story concepts I'm hearing about for the third film (namely: deep space exploration, no imminent threat to Earth, and hopefully a totally original antagonist) will indeed be the case.

As much as I enjoyed Trek '09, Into Darkness was IMO a missed opportunity to go in a new and different direction. It would be nice if they steered things back to a new course with the third movie. No doubt I'll be there to see it when it opens.

Steve Christou

Long Member
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Christou
Oh my....

William Shatner says he may have a role in upcoming 'Star Trek' film

The original Captain Kirk has confirmed that he might be making a return to the franchise in the upcoming Star Trek film set to be directed by Roberto Orci. Appearing at Wizard World Nashville Comic Con Saturday, Shatner explained that he got a call from J.J. Abrams regarding the project. “He said, ‘I’m calling, Bill, because the director of Star Trek, the next movie, has had an idea where you might be involved. So I’m calling to find out whether you’d be interested,'” Shatner recalled Abrams saying. “I said, well, you know, if it’s meaningful.”
http://insidemovies.ew.com/2014/09/29/william-shatner-says-he-may-have-a-role-in-upcoming-star-trek-film/

Steve Christou

Long Member
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Christou
I have a feeling time travel may be involved in the next Trek. Otherwise how are they going to bring young and old Kirk together? The mirror universe? I thought this new Trek was the mirror universe. ;)

Oliver Ravencrest

Screenwriter
Real Name
Ron
RobertR said:
So what TOS episode are they going to rehash this time?
I'd love to see their version of the Gorn! "Arena" is my third favourite Trek episode after "City on the Edge of Forever" and "The Trouble With Tribbles". The episode would make a good template for a movie with the opening battle sequence, the chase through space and the final fight between Kirk and the Gorn. Since the Gorn were only only used once on TOS, I've always wanted to see more of them. I never got into Trek outside the original series and the movies up unto First Contact", so they don't feel so over used.

I'd like to see the original cast stay away from this series, let the new cast grow into the roles without reminders of what came before.

dpippel

Yoyodyne Propulsion Systems
Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug
Oliver Ravencrest said:
I'd like to see the original cast stay away from this series, let the new cast grow into the roles without reminders of what came before.
I agree completely. "Spock Prime" has already been done once too often. We don't need Boston Legal Kirk mucking about as well. Let's leave Shatner out of this timeline completely.

FoxyMulder

映画ファン
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
Steve Christou said:
I have a feeling time travel may be involved in the next Trek. Otherwise how are they going to bring young and old Kirk together?
Nooooooooooooo, that's my best Darth Vader no, not another Trek film featuring time travel, too much already. :D

SilverWook

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bill
I wouldn't mind seeing the Gorn, so long as they respect the original design, and don't make it into a raptor on steroids like Enterprise, and the STID videogame tie in did. And it's got to be men in suits, with a few CGI tweaks if need be.

The TNG novel, The Gorn Crisis would have made a for a smashing film.

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
Interesting.

I loved "Star Trek '09", really enjoyed "Star Trek Into Darkness", and I wasn't worried about Orci directing - my best guess was that he was probably just going to emulate the style that J.J. Abrams brought to the first two. I wonder if we'll ever find out what the reasoning was. I just hope that the film still gets made, is good, and comes out for the 50th anniversary. The four year wait between the last two films was a real momentum killer and three years is already a really long time.

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
From the article on THR"Orci, best known for his screenwriting work with former partner Alex Kurtzman, was going to make his directorial debut with the movie, stepping in the shoes of J.J. Abrams. Abrams directed the first two movies but left to helm Star Wars: The Force Awakens.Orci will still remain involved with Trek 3 as a producer, THR has confirmed.Reasons for his departure were not immediately revealed."

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
Good. I'm not confident in his ability yet. Though the studio probably felt that way about Nimoy. But that worked out.I know it's a long shot but Nicolas Meyer might be free.

Jonathan Perregaux

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jonathan Perregaux
Meanwhile, in another part of Hollywood, an excited man throws off his organ grinder cap and monkey and sprints full speed on foot against traffic to the Paramount lot. Upon arrival, his breathless rants of "I'll do it!" are muffled by the sound of Tazers fired by alert security guards."That's the third time this month we've had to stop this guy," one guard says."I'll say this for him, though," the other guard replies as he helps drag the hapless intruder away. "McG sure can run."

I guess now I must reluctantly cancel my Amazon pre-order for the Roberto Orci Director's Collection Blu-ray box set.

SilverWook

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bill
Nelson Au said:
Good. I'm not confident in his ability yet. Though the studio probably felt that way about Nimoy. But that worked out.I know it's a long shot but Nicolas Meyer might be free.
There's also that Jonathan Frakes fellow. :)

Sean Bryan

Sean Bryan
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sean
Deadline says Edgar Wright as well as others are on the short list to take his place. Not sure how I feel about that.

joshEH

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh
Edgar Wright's never gonna happen in a million years, or at least not if he doesn't get the time to develop the script to his satisfaction. And at this point, given the looming 50th Anniversary deadline, Paramount is basically committed to pulling another Star Trek V -- i.e., out for 2016, no matter what.

Also, Wright's Twitter feed puts him in Detroit, Cleveland, and New Orleans the last few days. Just going by his announced projects he's circling, I'd say he's scouting for Grasshopper Jungle (the setting fits for that book)...which means he's probably not jumping onto Trek suddenly.

On the other hand, this news means we now might actually get to see a Joe Cornish-directed Star Trek film within our lifetimes...

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
No chance in hell for Nicholas Meyer or Jonathan Frakes. They wanna go forward not backward.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks