What's new

Pre-Order Stand-In (1937) (Blu-ray) Available for Preorder (1 Viewer)

J. Casey

Second Unit
Real Name
Jason
Yes, I went with Twilight Time and cancelled my Amazon preorder. Will have it tomorrow.

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
Just finished watching my copy and I wanted to say that I was tremendously satisfied with it. Anytime I can see a Bogart film I haven’t seen before is a cause for celebration, and the movie itself was a fun sendup of Hollywood that kept me amused from start to finish. Recommended!

revgen

Screenwriter
Real Name
Dan
I pre-ordered this from Classicflix in December and they still haven't shipped out my order. How does TT get this in stock before Classicflix does?

Traveling Matt

Supporting Actor
Thanks for letting us know, Josh.

I received mine today and though I haven't watched it yet, I popped it in to discover a couple things. One, it was CF's planned debut title which is kinda neat. Two, it still has A/V issues which is outside of their control. I always thought the old DVD release was a lesser effort but it now appears less-than-perfect elements were the issue. While I'm sure I'll enjoy the new BD, it is disappointing to learn this is probably the best the film will ever look.

David Weicker

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David
Just finished watching my copy and I wanted to say that I was tremendously satisfied with it. Anytime I can see a Bogart film I haven’t seen before is a cause for celebration, and the movie itself was a fun sendup of Hollywood that kept me amused from start to finish. Recommended!

I’ve always loved the Charles Middleton (Ming The Merciless) scene
the Lincoln actor who can’t remember the Gettysburg Address

Traveling Matt

Supporting Actor
I just now saw the post from David/CF and he basically repeats the disclaimer from the beginning of the disc. Great job all around!

Also, just wanted to add I love CF's trailers. They're just like 30s/40s trailers (music, pacing, presentation etc) yet actually serve as advertisements for new releases. Brilliant.

Traveling Matt

Supporting Actor
And just as a follow-up to my earlier post... since then I've received Intrada's latest CD release, Johnny Tremaine (which is great by the way), and it was manufactured by Disc Makers.

bujaki

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jose Ortiz-Marrero
I own every Classic Flix BD release except for the Abbott and Costello (no love for them), and have enjoyed every one of them. Classy outfit.
Haven't yet bought Stand-In. Saw it many decades ago and enjoyed it thoroughly.

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Seeing too many posts about this film.

Should I blindly purchase?

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Seeing too many posts about this film.

Should I blindly purchase?
Hmm, I don't know Ron it's been a long time since I seen this movie. My Blu-ray should be here on Monday or Tuesday as I plan on watching it immediately. So I'll let you know what I think, but remember comedy is the most subjective of all movie genres. This is a 1937 comedy so I'm not sure it will hit your funny bone which is why I want to see it again before making a recommendation. What I do remember about it was that it was kind of uneven.

Last edited:

ClassicFlix

Insider
Real Name
David
Hmm, I don't know Ron it's been a long time since I seen this movie. My Blu-ray should be here on Monday or Tuesday as I plan on watching it immediately. So I'll let you know what I think, but remember comedy is the most subjective of all movie genres. This is a 1937 comedy so I'm not sure it will hit your funny bone which is why I want to see it again before making a recommendation. What I do remember about it was that it was kind of uneven.

Yes, comedy is subjective, but anyone who likes 1930s comedy should enjoy STAND-IN.

BLONDELL fans will really love her in this one and BOGART fans are sure to get a treat at his first sympathetic role and see a glimpse of what was soon to become his persona.

Is it a blockbuster? No, but it's fun nonetheless.

Also, we know many have supported what we're trying to do as a label, and we appreciate your support. Do know also that when you support restoration efforts like these you are not just supporting this specific release, but our label's existence on the whole which includes hopefully bringing future releases out of the vaults and giving them the ClassicFlix treatment.

- David

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Yes, comedy is subjective, but anyone who likes 1930s comedy should enjoy STAND-IN.

BLONDELL fans will really love her in this one and BOGART fans are sure to get a treat at his first sympathetic role and see a glimpse of what was soon to become his persona.

Also, we know many have supported what we're trying to do as a label, and we appreciate your support. Do know also that when you support restoration efforts like these you are not just supporting this specific release, but our label's existence on the whole which includes hopefully bringing future releases out of the vaults and giving them the ClassicFlix treatment.

- David
I watching my Blu-ray as I type this so I'll post my thoughts again in the coming hours.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert

- David
As I stated earlier, I felt this film was kind of uneven as I don't think the last 15-20 minutes were as good as the previous 70 minutes of the movie. With that said, the audio/video improvements on this Blu-ray compared to the Image 2003 DVD is just remarkable. I did some comparisons this afternoon and I must say that ClassicFlix did an outstanding job here.

Also, I will agree that if you like 1930s comedy then you should enjoy "Stand-In". I thought Howard, Blondell and Bogart were outstanding. It really is a good Hollywood spoof. Anybody have any idea which studio this was movie was shot at?

Last edited:

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert

- David
Is there any chance that "Kit Carson" (1940) a Edward Small Productions film will ever get a disc release from you guys? Perhaps, it's not available to you, but I thought I would ask anyway.

revgen

Screenwriter
Real Name
Dan
I received mine yesterday and I definitely enjoyed it. It lampoons the Hollywood industry in the 1930's. Everyone from the clueless investors who know nothing about the business, no-talent stars who are unaware of their limitations, and directors who overestimate their own importance. The film makes it seem like a miracle that the motion picture business even exists. All of the actors in the film relish playing parts that poke fun at their industry and the chemistry is noticeable. A must have in your collection.

ClassicFlix

Insider
Real Name
David
Is there any chance that "Kit Carson" (1940) a Edward Small Productions film will ever get a disc release from you guys? Perhaps, it's not available to you, but I thought I would ask anyway.

Not likely Robert. Shout is the current rights holder and while it's an enjoyable film and probably worth an upgrade, the DVD put out in 2013 by Hen's Tooth is probably the best it'll ever look.

- David

TheSteig

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David
I wish you would be able to do a deal with Warner and get some of their 30s-50s WAC titles on Blu-ray..there's too many to list - but I will say some I became a fan of after renting them on the ClassicFlix site :)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks