What's new

Splitting an HDMI signal (1 Viewer)

tjohnusa

Agent
Real Name
Terry John
I tried to split the signal going to my living room tv to a 24" dell monitor for the kitchen. Used a cheap splitter I got from ebay and a good hdmi to dvi cable about 4' long. After setting up it split the signal but the pic on tv was fine but the monitor looked like it los the chroma signal. I adjusted a dispay settig and it looked great...on both sets. After I turned the monitor off the pic n the tv looked like no chroma...I removed the splitter and the pic came back. My question is...what should I use to split this signal and can it be split with no issues. The source is directv and is running through a Sony reciever. Thanks for the adice.

Steve Tannehill

R.I.P - 4.28.2015
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Steve Tannehill
Sounds like a bad splitter. I would look at Monoprice: http://www.monoprice.com/products/search.asp?keyword=hdmi+splitter

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
The problem could be...
HDMI automatically dumbs down the signal to least denominator...meaning if one display is 720P and the other is 1080I, you default back to 480P. IF your Directv isn't set to output 480P...then you end up with picture issues.
My guess, find a common resolution between the two and make sure the Directv is set there.

tjohnusa

Agent
Real Name
Terry John
ok i'll try to lower res and see if that makes a difference first...before buying new splitter. I don't think the lower rez will ake a difference due to the fact I can get a great pic on both. I don't get the issue until I power down the secondary monitor...I'll let you know.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks