What's new

Marantz SR6014 Video Upscaling and Directv Signal (1 Viewer)

OldDudeHomeTheater

Auditioning
Real Name
steve
Hello...I am new to this Forum....I have a question/scenario.

I have my Directv C41K receiver (Part of the Genie 2 DVR) connected to my Marantz SR6014 receiver via new HDMI cables. Monitor out to Vizio M65-D0 via HDMI as well.

I get 4k / UHD content with no issues. However, my Marantz receiver when set up, can upconvert non 4k signals to 4k. Non 4k video from Directv is not being upscaled. I unhooked the Directv receiver on the HDMI port, and replaced it with a spare Chromecast. The video signal from Chromecast(netflix, Amazon, etc) is being upscaled/upconverted from 1080p and 1080i to 2160P. So I know the receiver is set properly. I am trying to understand why the signal from DIrectv is not upconverting?

Has anyone else run into this or a similar issue?

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Keep in ind that TVs are fixed pixel, which means that everything which is less than 4K always gets upscaled to 4K. Its just a matter of when it happens. The last place it can happen is in the TV itself. You say the Marantz can upscale, but that has to be activated. It doesn't do it be default. It's possible the Chromecast is configured to upscale everything to 4K, but the DirecTV box isn't, and the receiver isn't either, which means it doesn't happen until the signal reaches the TV.

You want upscaling done by the component(s) that do the best job. Vizio TVs don't upscale from less than HD (2K) very well, but they do just fine with HD signals. I have two Marantz head units (a receiver and preamp) and have never used them to upscale, so I can't say how good a job they do.

Aside from all that, I can't think of any reason the receiver would be upscaling one source but not another, which is why I mentioned the other factors.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks