What's new
Signup for GameFly to rent the newest 4k UHD movies!

Spider-Man: No Way Home (2021) (1 Viewer)

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
I dig it. Now that this trilogy is concluding, hopefully they won't feel bound to shoehorn the word "Home" into the title of the inevitable Spider-Man 4.

Some promotional photos (click to enlarge):
Peter (Tom Holland), Ned (Jacob Batalon), and MJ (Zendaya) are bent over a desk peering at a laptop screen. The laptop is facing away from the camera.
Peter (Tom Holland), MJ (Zendaya), and Ned (Jacob Batalon) are standing in a strange room with antique furniture.
Ned (Jacob Batalon), Peter (Tom Holland), and MJ (Zendaya) are standing at the bottom of a staircase, in room with brick walls.

Last edited:

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
Although I love both of Holland's movies, I don't think the titles chosen necessarily reflect what they are in the best way possible. Homecoming had the double meaning of Spider-Man returning home to Marvel, but the actual dance is a very small part of the movie which Peter leaves almost instantly. Far From Home didn't seem terribly significant as a name because it was following movies where Peter went to Germany (Civil War) and then outer space (Infinity War), so he had already been farther from home than anywhere he went on his class trip. So I'm not really sure why they're so committed to the Home title pattern.

That being said, this one could work in a couple different ways.

Either: Peter has no way home because he is wanted for terrorism and murder and he has to go on the run.

or

Peter has no way home because he's somehow stuck in another strand of the multiverse.

What do you all think the title is referencing?

Last edited:

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
Anyone think we're going to get a first trailer for Spider-Man with Black Widow?

Black Widow
is the highest-profile Marvel release on the schedule prior to Spider-Man itself, so it seems like a good opportunity for Sony to start the marketing campaign. Because they have the co-production arrangement with Disney on this, I'm sure Disney would be glad to debut a trailer on Black Widow since it is to their advantage to help Sony out.

If so, I would imagine it will release online sometime early next week.

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
I think the "attached" trailer will be for a Disney movie, probably Shang-Chi or Eternals.

But I wouldn't be surprised if Sony puts out a trailer to ride on Black Widow's coattails.

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
For some reason, Sony just released a new ad promoting catching up with Homecoming and Far From Home before No Way Home arrives in theaters. There's nothing new in here, but it makes me wonder if they might be putting out a teaser trailer soon. I was kind of surprised that they didn't do that to run on Black Widow.

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
Apparently a trailer will be screened for theater owners at CinemaCon next week, but will not be posted online.

Sony is still committed to a theatrical release, but with the surge of the delta variant is no longer confident that the movie will be able to stick to its December release date. Accordingly, it doesn't want to invest heavily in a marketing campaign for a release that might not happen.

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
Sony is still committed to a theatrical release, but with the surge of the delta variant is no longer confident that the movie will be able to stick to its December release date.
I absolutely believe that what you are saying is very reasonable and therefore most likely correct. But do you have a source for it?

Sony is in the process of selling Hotel Transylvania 4 to Amazon and also just moved Venom back a few weeks. Those are each unique situations -- the former is obviously impacted in particular by the lack of a vaccine for children -- but in combination it suggests to me that Sony is not confident in the status of the theatrical market right now.

We know that Doctor Strange is in No Way Home and that his solo film Multiverse of Madness is the next one on Disney's release schedule for Marvel following this one. I think it is reasonable to assume that No Way Home leads into Multiverse and must be seen first.

The X factor in all of this, of course, is the pandemic.

But let's say No Way Home does move. Any delay of No Way Home, which would be Sony's call, would also basically force Disney to move Multiverse. That in turn could cause some of their other 2022 releases to get shifted. Interconnected movies have been a big selling point for the MCU up to this point, but it also makes scheduling a more complicated issue than for other studios with projects that don't relate to each other.

Paramount recently took Clifford the Big Red Dog off the calendar because its audience is almost exclusively children under 12 who can't get vaccinated. However, they can still release Top Gun Maverick in November (if they want to) because Clifford is not connected to Top Gun. Especially given that No Way Home and Multiverse of Madness are technically from two different studios with potentially different agendas, their being linked is an interesting and thorny situation.

Last edited:

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
Variety is saying that Sony is "committed to an exclusive theatrical release in December."

Variety said:
Sony, which has no streaming service, remains committed to an exclusive theatrical release in December for "No Way Home," which promises to be one of the highest grossing films of the year; but the studio also pushed "Venom: Let There Be Carnage" from September to October due to COVID concerns.

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
Marvel.com posted about a book chronicling the making of the Tom Holland movies that is currently scheduled for release on November 30.

I think it is clear that this release is intended to arrive just a little bit before the movie. So the publication day could change if the movie ends up being delayed.

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
They might as well just release it now. Since a poor quality version leaked, there is no benefit to Sony holding it back. Plus, releasing it soon would allow it to play in theaters with Shang-Chi, which is aiming for the same audience.

Last edited:

Chip_HT

Screenwriter
Real Name
Chip
We know that Doctor Strange is in No Way Home and that his solo film Multiverse of Madness is the next one on Disney's release schedule for Marvel following this one. I think it is reasonable to assume that No Way Home leads into Multiverse and must be seen first.

The X factor in all of this, of course, is the pandemic.

But let's say No Way Home does move. Any delay of No Way Home, which would be Sony's call, would also basically force Disney to move Multiverse. That in turn could cause some of their other 2022 releases to get shifted. Interconnected movies have been a big selling point for the MCU up to this point, but it also makes scheduling a more complicated issue than for other studios with projects that don't relate to each other.
Way back before anyone had ever heard about COVID, wasn't Dr. Strange scheduled to come out before Spidey?

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
Way back before anyone had ever heard about COVID, wasn't Dr. Strange scheduled to come out before Spidey?
Yes. But I'm pretty sure filming was delayed on it, both by COVID and by the fact that Scott Derrickson was supposed to direct it until he wasn't. We also know that the No Way Home shoot was changed too because it was originally going to shoot before Uncharted but Sony had Tom Holland shoot that first.

All this to say I think they have probably changed things around to account for No Way Home being first. I doubt very much that they are shooting the exact same thing they would have shot without COVID. The delays to the release order have to be accounted for in the final film because Marvel has set a precedent of interconnected stories. I don't think there's any way that Marvel would produce a Spider-Man film with Doctor Strange in it so close to a Doctor Strange film without interlinking the two.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ChiChi0010
Recent bookmarks