What's new

Venom: Let There Be Carnage (2021) (1 Viewer)

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
As it stands now, Marvel's 2022 slate includes Doctor Strange in March, Thor in May, Black Panther in July and The Marvels in November. Unless they want to push all of those back, too, January or February would seem to be the only available slot to put Eternals.

Complicating matters for Venom is that Sony already has Morbius scheduled for January 28, 2022. It would be possible to put Venom there instead, but only if they delay that film.

On a side note, it's kind of weird that Marvel has a character named Mobius in Loki and a character named Morbius in the Spider-Man side of things which is with Sony. I realize of course both are from the comics, but it's still only one letter difference and they sound awfully similar.

Last edited:

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
The original was a smash success, grossing $856 million. The RT audience score was 81%. I think Sony is counting on some big numbers for it.
Holy shit, really? They made a sequel so I knew it didn't exactly fail but I sure didn't think it made $850 million. I thought it came, made some dough, and went with little fanfare for a semi-Marvel movie... other than people goofing on Hardy's accent.

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
It's worth noting that the original Venom also opened in October 2018.

Obviously, the box office marketplace now is a lot different than 2018. But it's not like they haven't used October before for this franchise.

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
Holy shit, really? They made a sequel so I knew it didn't exactly fail but I sure didn't think it made $850 million. I thought it came, made some dough, and went with little fanfare for a semi-Marvel movie... other than people goofing on Hardy's accent.

I fully expected not to enjoy it and only saw it because I had A-List and an unexpected free moment, and I had a lot of fun. It was by no means a great film, but Hardy was fantastic in it, and it was a low stakes adventure with a reasonable running time - excluding credits it was only about 90 minutes which was perfect for what it was. I’m ready to see another 90 minutes of low grade silliness.

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
I fully expected not to enjoy it and only saw it because I had A-List and an unexpected free moment, and I had a lot of fun. It was by no means a great film, but Hardy was fantastic in it, and it was a low stakes adventure with a reasonable running time - excluding credits it was only about 90 minutes which was perfect for what it was. I’m ready to see another 90 minutes of low grade silliness.
I'd have seen it if I knew it was only around 90 minutes. :)

TravisR

Senior HTF Member

Jeff Adkins

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jeff Adkins
Just got back from seeing it. It was a fun time. It's not as good of a film as Shang-Chi or The Suicide Squad, but still a fun watch. I enjoyed it much more than Black Widow.

That mid-credits scene though........holy shit!!!!

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
With a $90m opening, it's the biggest opening of the pandemic so far, a bigger opening than the first film back in pre-pandemic 2018 ($80m) even with fewer theaters and limited showtimes/hours, and second biggest October opening of all time behind Joker ($96m).

Jeff Adkins

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jeff Adkins
With a $90m opening, it's the biggest opening of the pandemic so far, a bigger opening than the first film back in pre-pandemic 2018 ($80m) even with fewer theaters and limited showtimes/hours, and second biggest October opening of all time behind Joker ($96m).

That's better than anyone expected. Wow,

This makes Paramount's decision to push back their big blockbusters to next year all the more puzzling.

Such a huge opening and barely any discussion of the film here.

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
This makes Paramount's decision to push back their big blockbusters to next year all the more puzzling.
I'm sure the pandemic was the biggest factor in Paramount's decision but when you look at the release schedule for the rest of the year, all the weekends already have a big or semi-big movie on them or a really big movie opened up the previous week or it's Halloween weekend and people will go to parties. If Paramount held on to their movies this long, what's holding them another few months until when the movie will face less competition and maybe less pandemic?

Jeff Adkins

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jeff Adkins
I'm sure the pandemic was the biggest factor in Paramount's decision but when you look at the release schedule for the rest of the year, all the weekends already have a big or semi-big movie on them or a really big movie opened up the previous week or it's Halloween weekend and people will go to parties. If Paramount held on to their movies this long, what's holding them another few months until when the movie will face less competition and maybe less pandemic?
For one, it costs them a shit-ton of money to delay a film that long. I don't really understand it that well, but John Campea broke it down on his show a few months back. The pandemic doesn't seem to be having much of an effect on box office revenue now.

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
Paramount’s internal goals and requirements are different than Sony’s, it’s as simple as that.

Paramount is reducing their overall output and as a result, want each of their tentpoles to maximize revenue in a theatrical-only release strategy, and the safest bet for that is pushing things to next year, when hopefully the pandemic is more under control, and hopefully at a time when there is less competition on the release calendar.

Sony, with their ongoing MCU-adjacent film slate, have different goals, one of which is to keep the line moving. They had also initially postponed Venom further down the line and decided to release it sooner when they concluded the theatrical market was better at this exact moment than they had anticipated it would be.

In my view, the pandemic is still having an effect on the box office. I believe Marvel’s Shang Chi in a normal environment would have, as the first major Asian-led MCU tentpole, opened around $200 million in its debut weekend, as Black Panther (first Black-led MCU tentpole) and Captain Marvel (first female-led MCU tentpole) did prior to the pandemic. Shang Chi did cross the $200 million line but it took four weeks to do so. That, in my view, is the result of the pandemic.

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
For one, it costs them a shit-ton of money to delay a film that long. I don't really understand it that well, but John Campea broke it down on his show a few months back. The pandemic doesn't seem to be having much of an effect on box office revenue now.
As far as I know, the only big movies they moved were Jackass and Top Gun and now those movies have no competition. I think Jackass would have done fine against or even better than Dune but Top Gun would have had some serious competition in November. Moving that one was a smart call.

Jeff Adkins

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jeff Adkins
As far as I know, the only big movies they moved were Jackass and Top Gun and now those movies have no competition. I think Jackass would have done fine against or even better than Dune but Top Gun would have had some serious competition in November. Moving that one was a smart call.
Fair points. Mission Impossible was also moved from Memorial Day to September 30th.

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
Just got back from seeing it. It was a fun time. It's not as good of a film as Shang-Chi or The Suicide Squad, but still a fun watch. I enjoyed it much more than Black Widow.

That mid-credits scene though........holy shit!!!!

Holy cow I can’t believe no one else even brought it up.

Wow.
I can’t believe I just saw that

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks