What's new

Speed - Defective? (1 Viewer)

Roger Mathus

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Roger Mathus
Can you believe this????? It appears that Fox wants to charge $ 6.99 to replace DVDs even if manufacturing defect. The following is from Fox web site.

Quote:

Twentieth Century Fox Home Entertainment (Fox Home Entertainment) now offers a DVD replacement program to our customers with damaged DVDs. This DVD replacement program allows customers to replace damaged DVDs for $6.99. If you have a Fox Home Entertainment DVD damaged due a manufacturing defect, you may be eligible for this low cost replacement program.

Here's how it works: please fill out the online form below so that we can gain information about the Fox Home Entertainment DVD in need of replacement. After you successfully complete this form, we will provide you with a return label to print out. This label includes your Return Authorization Number (RMA) and our mailing address. You will then ship your DVD or boxset to us for inspection. Individual discs from boxsets cannot be replaced, you will need to mail us the entire boxset for inspection.

When we receive your DVD we will inspect it as quickly as possible. We will notify you via e-mail if your request is approved and provide information regarding how to purchase a replacement DVD. We offer replacement DVDs for $6.99. Please allow 4-6 weeks for delivery. If your request is not approved, we will contact you to discuss other replacement options.

- Twentieth Century Fox Home Entertainment currently accepts US Replacements ONLY.
- For more information on getting replacements for manufacturing defects such as duplicate Discs in boxsets or scratched Discs, please email [email protected]. This Replacement Program is for DAMAGED DVDs or boxsets that might have been accidentally damaged by the consumer ONLY. If you mail us a replacement request which is considered a manufacturing defect, your request will be mailed back to you.
- Please read the Program Requirements carefully before you proceed.

End Quote

Strange policy wording .....In para 1 it states that program is for "manufacturing defect" discs but at end of statement it says that program is for "accidently damaged by the consumer ONLY"

At lease it gives a contact E-mail address. The Fox site also gives a toll free number 1-888-223-2FOX

Grant H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Grant H
It also says they will mail back requests that are considered manufacturer's defects. Somebody was drunk when they typed up the release I guess. Just call the number. If it's a manufacturer's defect, as it seems to be, they'll replace it no charge I'm sure.

Steve Blair

Second Unit
And it's not just Speed. Myself and others have the same problem with Behind Enemy Lines playing on the Sammy player...

Michael Osadciw

Screenwriter
Real Name
Michael Osadciw
mine won't play either! weird. the samsung player says "disc not supported" or something to that extent. i also noticed that the label printed on the disc also looks faded and not up to par with the other Fox titles...it almost looks like a copy someone would print off at home.

Roger Mathus

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Roger Mathus
Thanks for the feedback. I will try to contact Fox on Monday. In my case, Behind Enemy Lines is no problem. I also posted the problem with SPEED at AVS Forum. Those at AVS who have the problem also seem to have copies with no inserts in the case and it seems that they also received their copies from Amazon. A couple who reported no problems with SPEED indicated that their copy had the usual insert and and a card warning that player firmware should be updated. At lease four of the new Fox titles seems to have made use of a java feature that requires the Samsung firmware update. This includes Behind Enemy Lines. Extrodinary Gentlemen and Speed. In the box with Kingdom Of Heaven there was a card warning that the Panasonic player needed a firmware update.

It appears that not all copies of SPEED are defective and that Amazon might have received a bad batch. The lack of security tape and no insert could (speculation) indicate that product that might have been identified as reject may have been shipped from the manufacturing factory.

Edit: The labels on the two copies of SPEED that I have also appear very faded looking compared to the other Fox titles.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Roger,
My disc came from Amazon and didn't have an insert, but it plays without any problems on my Samsung which is updated with the latest software. I've been messing with my HT setup all day making some adjustments and have loaded and unloaded the "Speed" disc a number of times without any problems except it takes about 1.5 minutes to load up and play.

Crawdaddy

Steven Simon

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steven Simon
My Speed BD plays flawless on the PS3. Load time from hitting power button to red fox FBI screen is 20 seconds flat...
Video also looks very good. Menu system is kooool!!!

Roger Mathus

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Roger Mathus
I called Fox Consumer Department and the person I talked to indicated that they had no other inquiries regarding problems with SPEED. They told me I could return the product to Fox and that they would evaluate and send replacement disc in about 4-6 weeks.

Paul Hillenbrand

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Paul Hillenbrand

Just a thought.

Roger, did you install the "latest firmware" when Samsung first put it on the web, or did you install it a month or so later?

I recall that even though the Samsung firmware had the same "BD-P1000 Update firmware (ver.1.0)" name, it was slightly changed in or around the first month or so after it was released. Samsung made no version change in the name or even noted it on the web-page.:rolleyes:For those people that didn't know for sure if they got the "newer" updated ver.1.0, one of the parts of the firmware would be accepted for installation by the player when an update was attempted a second time from a newly made disc from the downloaded page. If none of the update was accepted, it signified that the player already had the newer firmware.

Wonder if this is your problem with playing the one disc - "Speed"?:confused:

Paul

Steve Blair

Second Unit
Thanks to HTF member Larry Sutliff who sent me the upgrade cd! I updated my Sammy today and it now plays both Speed and Behind Enemy Lines. Before the upgrade neither would play. Just an FYI if you're a sammy owner...

Paul Beck

Agent
There seems to be a variety of responses with the Speed Blu-ray disc.
My first copy was replaced at no charge by Amazon, but it takes four minutes to load and I let it play without touching the remote. When Jack gets off the bus it begins to pixilate and then freezes totally. The player will not eject the disc. After unplugging the player I can eject the disc.
I installed the upgrade when it came out for the Samsung
Would it be best to try to make a new upgrade disc from Samsung and install that? Does anyone know if this will solve this problem? At this time no other disc has this problem
By the way, both copies from Amazon had no inserts of amy kind - not even the 'fheft strip' that is on almost every disc whether DVD or HighDefinition discs
Fox is not answering my emails - even though I am not getting a 'wrong address' back and no 'this site does not answer'

Dave_P.

Supporting Actor
As far as I can tell, no Fox titles have the theft strips. At least not the ones I got from Best Buy and DVD Empire.

Paul Beck

Agent
It seems that one of the posts suggests that maybe some rejected discs got in the wrong pile and was sent to Amazon
How many here who have had the problem playing SPEED got the disc from Amazon? Maybe we can track it someway by this information
I used the update disc from Samsung I just received thinking maybe I downloaded it wrong, but it states that I have the correct software.
For those of us who got the defective discs it seems the studio wants us to pay for a new copy. I have two copies, one totally unplayable, the second - paid for by Amazon that will not get beyond chapter 21 and it takes four minutes to try to get to the menu (I've timed it three times!)
Any suggestions?

PeterTHX

Senior HTF Member
I just wanted to comment on the irony of a movie called "Speed" loading up slowly :)

I couldn't find this title anywhere. I sure as hell don't want to order it from Amazon!

Paul Beck

Agent
Of those how have been able to watch the complete movie "Speed" on Blu-ray disc, are they all from sources other than Amazon?
This is one of my favorite action movies and Fox seems not to be interested in providing us with a copy that plays all the way through, at least in my case.
Seems a bit expensive to have to buy at second copy from somewhere that will play on the Samsung player.
By the way, are those who have been able to play the movie to the end using a different player?

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
I bought my copy from Amazon and it has played on my Samsung without any problems. Also, I've bought other Fox titles like Behind Enemy Lines, X-Men 3, Fantastic Four and League of Extraordinary Gentlemen. Each disc has played without incident, though, I bought those titles from other vendors.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks