What's new

Speakers in wall (1 Viewer)

GeneYes

Auditioning
I am planning my basement home theater room and have purchased some speakers (JBL satellite sc 200) that I would like to mount in the wall and then cover with fabric the same color as the paint the wife picks out.
BAsically build boxes in the wall framing, place speakers in and then cover with the fabric.
I was going to go 4 rears behind, 3 fronts and center up front and sub in the corner.

Has anyone had experience doing this or any suggestions?
I have searched the forums and not found anything.

I am also looking at ways to sound deaden the room. I have jammed the floor joists with R20 insulation and am insulating the walls with the same. However there are cold air vents and heat vents that seem to carry sound and I was wondering the best way to shut em up?

Thanks for the great forum, I didnt know I didnt know so much about home theater till I started reading here.

Brian Osborne

Stunt Coordinator
I did the same thing with my LCR and subs. check out the pics at the bottom of this reply. I'm not done yet, but you will get the basic idea.
If you really want to deaden the sound, double up the drywall on the ceiling and overstuff joists with insulation(sounds like you already are doing that).
For around your HVAC ducting...
cushin the supports for the ductwork. put rubber or something between the supports and the ductwork. vibration = sound
stuff these joists with as much insulation as you can get in there as well. make sure you use insulation that is ok to be touching Hot Air ductwork. most is, but better safe that sorry.
Another thing I notices is when my vent fan is running all the time it is not noticable when the heat kicks on. As opposed to when the fan is on Auto and the heat kicks on I hear it. Something about conditioning ourselves to block out that small amount of sound...
Other things you can do for sound.
Make the room airtight as possible. If too much air can escape, under doors for example sound will escape as well.
Texture on the walls and ceiling. I was suprised that it actually made a difference, but it did.

David F

Auditioning
Brian, that's an excellent-looking theater. Well-done!

One question for you - what are the dimensions of your room?

GeneYes

Auditioning
Yeah, Looks really nice, definately waiting for the finished pics.
Mine is a bit different, the basement shape is annoying 15'x28' and we are planning on moving soon so I do not want to go to crazy at this place.

However I have ordered the JBL SC200 7.1 system and was planning on mounting them or cutting holes into the walls to flush mount them. What are the benifits/drawbacks to both of these?
Probablyshould post in recevier section, but just wondering what weight to place on the Night mode feature I noticed on the Yamaha HTR5890S, the reason I ask is cause my loud movies ala explosions tend to wake up the little one and this feature looks interesting for my application.
I am also looking at the Pioneer vsx1015.

Brian Osborne

Stunt Coordinator
would be minor drawbacks to mounting an enclosed speaker in the wall. Just make sure there is nothing that will get in the way of the sound. especially the tweater. For your fronts if your walls are uninsulated (and even if they are insulated) you may hear the low frequencies in other rooms of the house...

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks