What's new

Speakers flush on a box? (1 Viewer)

BrandonL

Stunt Coordinator
I am going to buy a dremel finally to do some little things, I was wondering if I could use that to make my sub flush to the box? Also what would I need to do that if possible?

Julian Data

Second Unit
It would be best to use a router. If you are using a 3/4" baffle, add another layer. Of course, cut the holes bigger on the outside layer.
------------------

BrandonL

Stunt Coordinator
The only thing is that I don't have a router, and I dont have room yet to start buying tools. All I have right now is a Jigsaw and drill. Enough to make a nice sub box actually, I just want to make it a little nicer looking. So there is no way to do this with the dremel with some sort of attachment?
------------------

Julian Data

Second Unit
You can try with the Dremel but it's going to take more than 4 cuts.. there's not enoungh diameter on the tool to cut. Great for drywall though..
------------------

BrandonL

Stunt Coordinator
So what tool would I use to do that? Otherwise how much is a decent or cheap router gonna cost me?
------------------

Julian Data

Second Unit
I think 60 bones is the lowest.. You might to make a jig for you to cut the circles or buy one.. Jasper Jig
------------------

Brett_A

Stunt Coordinator
Sonosub2.jpg

I did this with a $50 router and $20 circle jig. Top piece is just slightly larger than the speaker and comes out fllush.
------------------
Brett

Ellen

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Ellen
I have a Dremel and under no circumstances should you attempt to use it to cut driver holes in MDF. Save your pennies and get a good router.

Julian Data

Second Unit
AWESOME WORK Brett!
biggrin.gif

Brandon,
Heed the words from someone experienced, like Ellen. :)
jd
------------------

BrandonL

Stunt Coordinator
Well I had no problem cutting a circle for the sub using the jigsaw. I was just wondering about making it flush with the box. But now I have to look into buying a router then.
------------------

Gregg Hart

Stunt Coordinator
I agree. Buy the router. Get a cheap one for $60. It can do wonders. I also have a dremel with a routing extension. I tried to use it on 3/4" MDF and it was a joke. It would take 10 passes to cut out the width you need to flushmount a subwoofer.
The dremel would be great for cutting veneer though.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks