Speaker wire connectors

Discussion in 'Beginners, General Questions' started by GarySE, Feb 2, 2004.

1. GarySE

GarySE Auditioning

Very basic question from a newbie...

I have a Pioneer VSX-D509S receiver with bare wire speaker outputs. I'm currently using entry-level speakers which have spring clips to connect the bare wire.

I want to upgrade my speakers so the question is this:

Do I need to buy speakers with spring clips to connect my wires? Or, can I buy special wires that are bare on one end (to connect to the reciever) and have plugs or some other connector on the other end (to connect to the speakers)? Anything else to consider?

Thanks.

2. Cameron Yee

Cameron Yee Executive Producer
    Reviewer

Cameron Yee

Any wire you buy must be stripped on the connecting ends, which will give you bare wire. It's then up to you whether you want to go with bare wire connection or buy plugs or spades to terminate the ends. If your speaker has binding posts it will take banana plugs or spades. If it has spring clips it will take a thinner pin style plug (the name of which escapes me at the moment).

Plugs are really more for convenience in hook up, but there are some people who will point out sonic differences between bare wire and plugs.

3. Ted Lee

Ted Lee Lead Actor

first of all ... don't worry about the type of connections for the speaker. you're buying the speaker for the way it sounds! there, i feel better. [​IMG]

seriously though, it *will not* be an issue for you. i absolutely promise you that whatever type of connection (there are probably only a couple anyway) you use, you will be able to find a connector that will work.

most mid to hi-end speakers have banana plugs. they're really almost standard equipment.

take a look at this website, it explains the most common ones.

http://www.monstercable.com/home_av/...rs/speaker.asp

4. Mike Fassler

Mike Fassler Supporting Actor

banana plugs defiantly ease the installation on the cable to the speaker, but use whatever way seems to work for you, there is no right or wrong, just dont have bare copper sticking out from any of the connectors.

5. Cameron Yee

Cameron Yee Executive Producer
    Reviewer

Cameron Yee

They'll make it easier but they're not gonna like it! [​IMG]

6. Mike_Skeway

Mike_Skeway Second Unit

I didn't know they were so defiant. [​IMG]

Seriously, it doesn't matter what connecters you use or are on your equipment. You can always change the connectors or use just bare wire.

7. JasonMilch

JasonMilch Extra

My opinion is that bare wire works very well but if you'l be plugging/unplugging your speakers often, bannana plugs make it much easier.