What's new
World Wide Stereo

Speaker wire connectors (1 Viewer)

GarySE

Auditioning
Very basic question from a newbie...

I have a Pioneer VSX-D509S receiver with bare wire speaker outputs. I'm currently using entry-level speakers which have spring clips to connect the bare wire.

I want to upgrade my speakers so the question is this:

Do I need to buy speakers with spring clips to connect my wires? Or, can I buy special wires that are bare on one end (to connect to the reciever) and have plugs or some other connector on the other end (to connect to the speakers)? Anything else to consider?

Thanks.

Please support HTF by using one of these affiliate links when considering a purchase.

Citizen87645

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cameron Yee

Any wire you buy must be stripped on the connecting ends, which will give you bare wire. It's then up to you whether you want to go with bare wire connection or buy plugs or spades to terminate the ends. If your speaker has binding posts it will take banana plugs or spades. If it has spring clips it will take a thinner pin style plug (the name of which escapes me at the moment).

Plugs are really more for convenience in hook up, but there are some people who will point out sonic differences between bare wire and plugs.

Ted Lee

Senior HTF Member
first of all ... don't worry about the type of connections for the speaker. you're buying the speaker for the way it sounds! there, i feel better. :D

seriously though, it *will not* be an issue for you. i absolutely promise you that whatever type of connection (there are probably only a couple anyway) you use, you will be able to find a connector that will work.

most mid to hi-end speakers have banana plugs. they're really almost standard equipment.

take a look at this website, it explains the most common ones.

http://www.monstercable.com/home_av/...rs/speaker.asp

Mike Fassler

Supporting Actor
banana plugs defiantly ease the installation on the cable to the speaker, but use whatever way seems to work for you, there is no right or wrong, just dont have bare copper sticking out from any of the connectors.

Mike_Skeway

Second Unit
I didn't know they were so defiant. :D

Seriously, it doesn't matter what connecters you use or are on your equipment. You can always change the connectors or use just bare wire.

JasonMilch

Grip
My opinion is that bare wire works very well but if you'l be plugging/unplugging your speakers often, bannana plugs make it much easier.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Josh.1983
Recent bookmarks