What's new

Connecting Speaker Wire in Walls (1 Viewer)

BOOTHA06

Auditioning
Real Name
Andy
I have surround sound speaker wires run to a specific location in my living room. Now, I want to move my receiver to a new location in the room. I can easily run the new wire through the basement to the new location and pop it up into a different wall, but to do this I would have to make a splice. Can I use a simple butt splice connector to make this connection in the wall to extend the wires? If not, what is the best way to make this connection? Also, is there a good way to make this connection in the wall a temporary splice- in case I ever want to move back to the original location? Possibly something like slide connectors like the ones in the picture attached? My concern is cutting the wires every time I want to move the receiver back and forth. Any help is appreciated!

Attachments

• 81U5vim4w2L._SL1500_.jpg
    81U5vim4w2L._SL1500_.jpg
    68.1 KB · Views: 125

Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Wayne
Butt splices are a great way to do what you’re talking about. The only problem with the quick disconnects you’re considering is that they are not a very secure connection, as they will come apart as easily as they go together. If you’re confident that the splice would never be tampered with, the quick disconnects would work. However, butt splices are more commonly used for splicing speaker wire. If you ever need to re-wire, it’s easy enough to simply cut the wire and re-crimp new butt splices. After all, you’d have to crimp new quick disconnects onto any newly-run wiring anyway, wouldn’t you? :)

See here for more than you ever wanted to know about splicing speaker wire.

Regards,
Wayne A. Pflughaupt

BOOTHA06

Auditioning
Real Name
Andy
Butt splices are a great way to do what you’re talking about. The only problem with the quick disconnects you’re considering is that they are not a very secure connection, as they will come apart as easily as they go together. If you’re confident that the splice would never be tampered with, the quick disconnects would work. However, butt splices are more commonly used for splicing speaker wire. If you ever need to re-wire, it’s easy enough to simply cut the wire and re-crimp new butt splices. After all, you’d have to crimp new quick disconnects onto any newly-run wiring anyway, wouldn’t you? :)

See here for more than you ever wanted to know about splicing speaker wire.

Regards,
Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Thank you Wayne! From the research I've done, and based on your post, I fully agree that the butt splices are the better route. My only thought was that if I move this setup back and forth several times, and have to cut the splice off each time, I'm going to be chasing the original wires up the wall. If this happens, and I have to put an "extension" in the wall to keep the length, is it okay to have multiple splices in the same line? With the quick disconnects, I could go back and forth without having to cut off length each time- at least that was the thought. I guess using butt splices and not moving furniture every 6 months is the best option!!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks