What's new

Speaker Wire Connector Question (1 Viewer)

Brian Lindemuth

Auditioning
Hello, I apologize upfront for what may seem like a stupid question, but I’m rather new at this all. We currently have a DVD/Home Theater kit where the decoder is built right into the DVD player and you hook the speakers right into the DVD player. The Speaker wires are bare and go into the DVD player by means of those spring loaded openings. I’m looking at getting my wife a Karaoke machine. On the back of most models, there are RCA outputs for the 5.1 surround sound since there is also a decoder built right in. The manuals show plugging these wires into the back of a receiver/amp. The models I’m looking at also double as a DVD player. My question is, can I add the RCA type connectors to the ends of the current speaker wires and just plug them into the Karaoke machine so that I get 5.1 surround sound for both the Karaoke machine and as the DVD player when it doubles as that? I know this sounds like a cheap setup, but I am just starting out. Any advice would be very much appreciated. Thank you.

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
No, they are two different signal levels. The RCA output from the Karaoke is line level (unamplified) and needs to be passed through a receiver to amplify that signal. If you connect the speakers directly to these outputs, you will get no sound. If your receiver doesn't have a multichannel analog input (RCA), does it have an optical or coaxial digital input? Maybe there are Karaoke machines that can pass their signal digitally? Otherwise you are faced with getting a new receiver that has a multichannel analog input.

Brian Lindemuth

Auditioning
Thank you for your help John.

I've noticed most Karoke machines have an Aux out (left and right RCA connectors). My DVD home theater system has Aux in (left and right RCA connectors). Could I make that connection to get the Karoke machine to play through the surround sound speakers? Sorry for the basic question again. :)

TJEli

Auditioning
Real Name
Eli Ward
What would work even better is if your dvd/receiver/HTIAB/thingy has a digital input. (coaxial or optical). If the Karoke machine has a digital ouput you can connect them this way. If not, the analog outs and ins will work fine but you will not get digital surround from the Karoke machine. (DD and DTS)

-Eli

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks