What's new

Buying a 7.1 Receiver (1 Viewer)

moviebuff75

Screenwriter
Real Name
Eric Scott Richard
I have a question, that's probably silly to most of you. I want to upgrade to a 7.1 system, but every one I have looked at has different style ports for the speaker connections than my speaker wire. My speakers are from Sony and have a clip like connector at the end of the wire, but the receivers look like they have to be connected to a circular connector. Help!

Audio14

Agent
Real Name
Daniel
Did those speakers come with their own receiver? If so, 90% of that system is proprietary to each other, meaning those speakers can only be used with their original receiver. It doesn't make sense to just get a 7.1 A/V considering that the receiver itself will outperform your speakers. That's why those clips, color coded endings of the speakers are like that

moviebuff75

Screenwriter
Real Name
Eric Scott Richard
Ok. I'm spending so much money on this 3D upgrade that my mind is swimming. Would it be best to try and find a complete system then, with speakers included?

Audio14

Agent
Real Name
Daniel
I have never been a fan of those types of system, they're called Home Theater in Box(HTIB). If you really want to do and enjoy a nice 7.1 channel, I certainly recommend getting a separate receiver and speakers. More flexibility, better sound. What types of speakers? Towers/bookshelf, ceiling etc? What will be connected to this system besides the TV? Do you plan on listening to just movies or both films and music? Music any other part of the house?

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
It would help us, help you, if you gave the model number of the prior system.That "circular" connector is a binding post.Accepts bare wire, spades, clips and banana plugs.If these speakers are 3ohm HTiB, don't use them...more than as a temporary solution(as in less than 3-4 months and you won't be able to buy an under $800 AVR to use them).

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks