What's new

Speaker upgrade help (1 Viewer)

-Jason-

Auditioning
Real Name
jason
I'll start off by telling you what I have...Onkyo TX-SR603 7.1 receiver, Onkyo DV-CP702 DVD player and speakers are front-2x Audio Sphere Research towers, center- a little Panasonic single 2" cone, rears- 2x Panasonic mini monitors, no sub. The Panny's are from a small HTiB system I have.

I only have ~$500 CAD so upgrades will be done in steps. So where should I start? My fronts aren't the greatest but they'll do for now as will the rears. I was thinking of buying a decent center because a single 2" cone just plain sucks. I could probably swing a $200 center and $300 sub? Another option is a buying a whole speaker system. 2001 A/V has a PSB Alpha Intro system for $500 and Futureshop has the Athena Point 5 MKIIFS for $500. I have read rave reviews on both those systems. So what do you think?

BTW I live in an apartment and the living room is ~240sqft.

Thanks.

SethH

Senior HTF Member
Hi Jason, welcome to the forum.

I think you're on the right track with the center and sub idea. However, since you're in an apartment you probably won't get the full value out of your subwoofer. So, I would consider saving up and getting new fronts and a center.

If you do decide to go ahead and pick up a center and sub, the way to pick a center is to find the fronts you want first and get the center that matches those.

FYI - in the

-Jason-

Auditioning
Real Name
jason

The only thing I'm worried about is if the speaker lines are discontinued before I am able to buy the fronts, which is why I was considering the PSB or Athena systems.
Futureshop has the Athena AS-F2.2's for $250ea and the F1.2's for $200ea in there clearence section but thats all they have from the Audition Series 2 line. Maybe I'll search the web for an AS-C1.2 center.

Would that set up really be better than the Point 5 MKIIFS or the PSB Alpha?

Frank A

Stunt Coordinator
Jason, there are always tradeoffs, especially when money (or lack thereof) is concerned. I think you need to decide which you listen to/watch more of, music in stereo or tv/dvd's in 5.1. If you listen to music mostly, then I would opt for two good main speakers. If you watch dvd's mostly, then you can't beat a good sub and center speakers (although I have read where people do not use a center channel in a 4.1 setup).

I haven't heard the setups you are looking at, but those companies do have good reputations, I think.

Another option is building your own speakers. Is that an option? More bang for the buck, so to speak. I have read of a couple of upgrade options (diy) on a couple of fairly inexpensive speakers on other forums.

Good luck, Frank.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks