Speaker Upgrade and Center Channel ?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Everett Painter, Aug 26, 2002.

1. Everett Painter

Apr 25, 2000
    Hey guys...I'm getting ready to upgrade from small surrounds to larger speakers. I'm on a real tight budget and have KLH speakers. I know that a lot of folks have issues with these but that's all I can afford and I have really had a good experience with them.
    I currently have there as my main L/R speakers:
    I want to go with these as my rear L/R and 1 as my center channel:http://www.bestbuy.com/detail.asp?e=...cat=15&scat=17
    Ok...these are all large, full range speakers. Are there any issues (besides space and placement) that I should consider before doing this?
    With all of these large speakers...should I keep my sub; would it be necessary?
    And finally, I have heard both ways. Is it better to use a regular speaker for the center channel of should I go with one designed for center use?
    I would appreciate any advice you guys could give me.
  2. Adam Bluhm

Adam Bluhm Supporting Actor

Feb 9, 2002
    Off hand, these speakers look like good matches. They house the same size woofers and midranges.
    Obviously, the best center channel is a match to your other four speakers, assuming they're all the same. However, very few have five of the same speakers. I believe timbre matching is the most important, and it appears they'd be a good match all around.
    As for a sub.. well, I'm no expert. They have a wonderful range down to 20 Hz, so as long as you have enough power pumping through them to take advantage of that range, a sub would not be as important with this setup than with other setups.
    ..like mine for example. [​IMG] I'm only +/-3dB through 48Hz with my front channels, so a sub is more needed with my setup.
    I also noticed that the drivers are not aligned on the smaller speakers. That's a pretty basic rule for DIY, which many people don't follow for aesthetic reasons. I'm just intrigued that a cheaper speaker followed that rule and many, many of the higher priced ones don't.
    BTW, leave the covers on. I like the look of aligned drivers, myself. [​IMG] [​IMG]
    On second look, that was the best place for the port, I guess.