What's new

Speaker Recommendations (1 Viewer)

Eric A

Second Unit
I am truly tired of trying to get the best of both worlds so I am going to set up a modest 2 channel system. I am looking for speaker recommendations. I will be driving them with a Plinius integrated amp and using a Sony SACD player (yet to be determined). I may in the future go back to a MSB Link Dac for redbook. I will be purchasing a pair of bookshelf speakers. I am currently auditioning Meadowlark Verios and Totem Model Ones. Both are outstanding and I will probably choose between the two but I am soliciting advice on others that I might have missed. I am looking for speakers that can disappear and have extension to around 40hz. Both of the speakers above fall just shy of the extension requirement but are absolutely amazing at imaging, soundstage and that disappearing act. For those of you that know me, you can see I am looking to move beyond the mass produced speakers into something truly handcrafted. The Totems stretch my budget new at $1600 but can be found used at under a grand. I will probably buy used to save the dough but please do not let my budget deter you from recommending. Thanks in advance.

Brandon Blair

Stunt Coordinator
Hey Eric,
I'd strongly recomend checking out the JMLabs Electra 906 or Cobalt 806. The Electra retails for $1995 and the Cobalt for $995. They are both VERY good bookself speakers. The Electra's are in my opinion the best speakers you can buy for the money. The Electra 926 floorstanders just got a Class A rating, and they only retail for $3995, an incredible price for a Class A speaker. (Link Removed)
You can check them out at Audio Forest in Atlanta, they have some great stuff and work with you real well. They've got some good used stuff there too. If you talk to the owner there, Ellis Baxter, let him know I sent you over, he'll help you out!
Good Luck and War Eagle!
Brandon
p.s. (I'll be graduating from the "loveliest village on the plains" in August!)

John A. Casler

Second Unit
Try VMPS QSO626R Speakers. @ $1580 list they have been compared to systems up to $10,000 a pr.
http://www.vmpsaudio.com/qso626p.htm
From site:
April 2001 saw the introduction of the QSO 626 Ribbon, a rear-ported three-driver design of the highest available sonic quality. Indeed the 626R is perhaps the best-sounding small system you can buy, despite its low price (for which we apologize--compare the 626R against those $10,000 minimonitors and hear what we mean). The 626R is standard either with our exclusive 8” strontium ferrite midrange ribbon (matching older RM speakers and the FF1 and FF3 SRE) or our unique, innovative Neodymium 8” mid, both versions standard with our own specially-made 1” spiral ribbon tweeter with flat response out to 25 kHz.
I have heard these speakers and they are remarkable. If set up properly in relation to room boundaries, they do the "disappearing act".
John

Eric A

Second Unit
Brandon,
Thanks for the info. I know Ellis well and have spent many days trying to get away from him once trapped in Audio Forrest. He will talk your head off. I have listened to the Cobalts and I still prefer the other 2 speakers ahead of them. I will go back and listen to the Electra's though. Thanks.

Gil D

Supporting Actor
Eric,
I was looking at B&W, NHT, and Dynaudio and went with Polk LSi-9. They don't make it to 40Hz at 3db down but still have something left below 50Hz. The bass does have a nice punch to it and melds very well with my sub. The upper octaves compare to my Signums but the mids are not as forward as the Sigs or as detailed as the Contours. But yet they are very good especially for the price. They also have the characteristic that you mention and rarely do you find at that price level.

Check them out.
Also,I forgot to mention that they sound good for stereo and theater.
Gil

John Gates

Second Unit
Hi Eric,
If you're not opposed to buying used, here are a pair of nOrh marble 9.0's on sale at Audiogon: Link Removed
These are handcrafted from an 800lb block of marble (milled down to about 90 pounds each), use Scanspeak drivers, and are $3000/pair new. These would be fantastic in a 2-channel setup.
They are very unusual and are fantastic conversation pieces as well as some of the best two-way speakers out there. I'd buy these myself if I had good enough upstream gear to support them.
Good luck in your search...
John G

chung_sotheby

Supporting Actor
I was just about to suggest that. Over at harmonicdiscord, there are a pair of 7.0's on sale for less than $1k. For this price, its a hell of a deal. Also, try looking for studio 40's, these are also very very good speakers.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks