What's new
World Wide Stereo

Speaker Question (1 Viewer)

David.Sloan

Auditioning
hi,

I'm a relative newbie so I hope you'll bar with my lack of technical knowledge.

At the moment I have a Pro-logic hi-fi system which is fairly similar to this one here.

I'd like to get a reciever to upgrade to 5.1 and DTS. I have my eye on a Yamaha system I have seen, with a power rating of 110wpc. (on the specs it lists my current system as having "Total power output 120 watt RMS."

My question is this: can I keep my current speakers and simply buy the reciever, or are the speakers too low-powered and might blow up or something? Are the speakers the limiting factor or is it the system itself?

Thanks in advance,

- Dave.

Please support HTF by using one of these affiliate links when considering a purchase.

Brett DiMichele

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brett
David,

The speakers used in those boombox,shelf systems are
generaly very low quality (with exception to some offerings
by Denon (with Mission speakers) or Onkyo.

Yes I would highly suggest replacing the speakers for
numerous reasons. The speakers with your current setup are
most likely VERY high Impedance (12 or more ohms) because
the amplifier inside the boombox is low quality and can not
drive a low Impedance (8,6 or 4 Ohm).

A good Reciever like the Yamaha can generaly drive 8 or 6
Ohm loads, with some Recievers even being able to drive 4
Ohm loads.

What is your budget? Really before you buy anything you need
to determine what you are willing to spend and then demo
equipment (speakers and a reciever) in that price range.

There are many GOOD options for speaker packages and there
are even HTiB (Home Theater in a Box) solutions that may
fit your needs precisely.

Let us know a budget and then we can at least give you some
ideas on what equipment to go out and demo.

Ohh and welcome to the forums! :emoji_thumbsup:

David.Sloan

Auditioning
Hi,

Thanks for the response.

Unfortunately my budget is fairly limited. At the moment I'm just idea-gathering really, and won't be able to afford anything nice for at least a month. Therefore I'm thinking of a budget of no more that £300, and I hope to spend considerably less if possible. The cheapest place I have found for HT stuff in the UK is http://www.richersounds.com

So far I've been thinking about getting the Eltax Spectrum speaker package with the Yamaha RXV430RDS, but I'm way over my head here and any advice would be wonderful. The things I am pretty sure I want are 5.1, DTS, Pro Logic II, probably all pretty standard.

Thanks in advance for your reply.

Olafur Jens

Auditioning
I have the Yamaha RX-V430RDS. It has Dolby Digital 5.1, DTS and Pro Logic II, so you're set there. I paid too much for mine, but I still like it; it certainly sounds better than my old Kenwood stereo reciever. I'm no good at describing the sound (horrible highs, scintillating soundstage and so forth :þ ), but it sounds nice enough when I'm watching DVDs and playing games on my Xbox. Music is pretty good too, I have an old Pioneer cd player, but it works nice enough for me.

The only real fault I see with it is that it only has two digital inputs, one optical and one coaxial, and no digital outputs. Everything else suits my needs perfectly, and the sound is good.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bmoore9
Recent bookmarks