What's new

speaker placement question (1 Viewer)

Jonathan Dagmar

Supporting Actor
The only room I have available to me for my home theatre is a loft measuring
about 12X8 feet. Due to space limitations, my speakers must be wall mounted.
Also, this room has a low ceiling, about 6 feet in the center, and it slopes
to about 4.5ft on either side(the long walls). I am sure this room is far
from ideal, but it's all I have available to me.

My main concern has to be with the wall mounting of the front speakers (the
speakers are identical sats all around). Is it okay to mount the left and
right fronts on the wall and leave the center on top of the tv? This would
mean the center speaker would be about a foot closer than the left and right
speakers, which I undersatd is the opposite of ideal. So would I be better
to mount that speaker on the wall as well?

Secondly, what is the easiest and cheapest method of wall mounting the sort
of sattelite speakers that come in HTIAB sets?

Brendan B

Grip
I think that ideally you would want the center channel at a height that is at the same listening level with your ears. This means if your ears were a certain distance from the ground, then the center channel should also be around that same distance above ground as well.

If you want to mount the center speaker then I think you would have to get mounts that at least rotate along a vertical axis so as to 'aim' the speaker to your listening level.

As for speaker mounts, I believe there is a wide variety out there depending on your needs and the characteristics of the speakers. They are also not very cheap. They range from around $30-60 and probably even more for a single wall mount.

Hope this helps. If I'm wrong in any way, someone please correct me.

Jonathan Dagmar

Supporting Actor
are there any cheaper DIY methods of mounting speakers? I can't justify spending 30-40 dollars each on five speaker mounts or 200 dollars, for a budget priced system that only cost me 500 to begin with.

The problem with mounting the centre speaker and pointing it down is that it will end up pointed slighty behind the tv, which I don't think would be good.

Which HTIAB do you have or are you purchasing? Do you already have the receiver or is this a complete package?

If you already have the receiver, it may have some settings to help you with this:

This would mean the center speaker would be about a foot closer than the left and right speakers, which I undersatd is the opposite of ideal. So would I be better
to mount that speaker on the wall as well?
Some receivers have settings for the distance of the speaker to the listening position, which affects the delays it introduces. Again, not ideal, but would help a bit.

As for mounting on the wall...I don't know of any really cheap sources, but if you know someone who operates a machine shop, they could probably come up with some rather nice mounts for you.

If that fails, I don't know how handy you are, but a visit to a Home depot or similar store might give you some ideas.

The threads on a lot of that stuff it also 1/4x20, some are different. Most hardware stores carry 3' sections of threaded rod, and usually right near that, they have aluminum rods and bars. maybe fashion your own mounts?

Jonathan Dagmar

Supporting Actor
the speakers are part of a complete kit, reciever and all.

They do have theaded holes on the backs, though upon further investigation the cneter channel speaker (which is is larger, having to drivers instead of one) does not have any way to wall mount it.

The speakers also have the sort of, um, how are these described, those keyhole shaped cutouts where you can put the speaker over the head of a screw and slide it down. It this a sound way of mounting speakers? It doesn't seem like it to me, but it would be quick and easy, and I could incoprerate some sort of shock absorbing material between the wall and the speaker...

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks