What's new

Speaker cables. What do you use? (1 Viewer)

Kenneth Harden

Screenwriter
I use the Parts Express Sound King stuff. Works fine.

When I run my surrounds, I will see if I can find gray wire, as my room is painted that color (I am a 'dark' person).

Joey_V

Second Unit
i bought my 12 gauge speaker wire from ebay. at first, i was gonna go with some name brand speaker wire - but as long as it is made of copper and is packed oxygen free... its a-ok with me.

so i went to ebay and bought BUYITNOW from some guy for 1.99 per 25feet. i know... insane price!!! i have it connected to my axioms with some acoustic research bananas and these babies sing better than with my old 16 gauge RS wire. :D

Bill Mullin

Stunt Coordinator
I have 7.1 sound in a fairly large HT and have everything wired up with 14 ga. audio cable. 3 of the speakers are wired with approx. 50' of wire each. Because of this, I found that I have to increase the gain a few dB to these 3 speakers to get them to match sound level of the reference speakers. But now I'm wondering if maybe I'm losing something other than just volume with long cable runs.

Assume I change all my 14 ga. cable to 12 ga., then set all the speaker's SPL to match the reference speakers as I did with the 14 ga. Would there then be any difference in the QUALITY of the sound?

TIA, Bill

Joey_V

Second Unit
when i said sing better - i really meant that the speakers played about .5 to 1 db louder with the 12 than with the 16. i measured using an spl meter.

Greg-ST

Stunt Coordinator
16 AWG Monster XP cable for the front three speakers (short runs). 14 AWG Radio Shack flat speaker cable for the two rear speakers (longer runs). Speakers are the JBL NSP1II package.

Johan

Stunt Coordinator
Harmonic Tech Pro-9 PLUS speaker cables and
Harmonic Tech Truth Link x 3
Harmonic Tech Precision Link x 2
TaraLabs Rsc D-1 digitalcable
TaraLabs RSC Refrence G 2 speakercables
TaraLabs RSC Master G 2 speakercables
TaraLabs RSC Refrence G2 signalcable

Im having 2 sets of diffrent cables because sometimes i want another "sound" where the TaraLabs are brighter specially The Master cable.

Stephen Hopkins

HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
I use roadking 12awg i got in 25ft sections (came out to 8cents a foot) at the Dayton Hamvention. I've terminated with Dayton Rear Entry banana plugs that I got for .25 a piece from the Parts Express booth at the Dayton Hamvention. The bananas were so cheap because each package of 4 was all crinkled up (the plugs we unharmed). The cable was so cheap because the box was misprinted as 14awg when it was really 12awg. Gotta love 2 days of a huge flea market completely related to electronics. Around $20 for all my speaker cable including termination.

I'm going to add some techflex to the bi-amp cables for the mains, right now I have some heat shrink at each end. Check out the pics near the bottom of the link in my signature.

Joey_V

Second Unit
stephen -

i have the exact same wire as you do - i bought mine of ebay at about 8cents a foot or 1.99 for 25 feet. roadking mislabeled! cool!! glad that i didnt pass it up!

my Acoustic Research bananas were 1$ each from ebay though - so u got a better deal.

Nathan Porteous

Stunt Coordinator
I just bought some 10G from blue jeans cable for 57 cents a foot pretty good price since its hard to find 10 G around here, it'll be here in a few days,Right now I'm running Audio Image 14 G all around all 7.1 hopping to gain 1db out of the 10 g, but if not at least I'll have my peice of mind

Frank Zimkas

Supporting Actor
14 ga Home depot wire for the surrounds and rears, 12 ga Carrol SuperFlex from Home Depot for the mains.

Matt_Smi

Second Unit
Real Name
blank
Some overpriced Monster XP 12 gauge, I wonder how much I paid for the 100 ft of it that I have…

Nathan W.

Stunt Coordinator
I use Hg (mercury) filled 1" transparent PVC tubing for my speaker signal path. Very poisonous, but awesome sounding!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks