What's new

Speaker cables. What do you use? (1 Viewer)

Ivan P

Stunt Coordinator
I am thinking to replace my speaker cables.
I was thinking to make my own cable for front (belden Cat5) but I still will need some cables for the rear, rear back surround and center speaker.

What are u using, where can I get it from and of course how much did u pay (how much did it cost you).

Thanks

Dave Milne

Supporting Actor
Speaker Cable: Home Depot 12 ga. (about $0.40/ft)

Equipment: Lexicon MC-12; Bryston amps (about 3.5 KW total power); Dynaudio speakers (7); custom JBL subwoofers (2); dedicated acoustically-treated theater/listening room with CRT front projection.

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Monster X1S with Partsexpress.com bananas. Nice jacket, relatively cheap. Check Partsexpress for Sound King wire also, a little better than the Home Depot variety, but still very cheap.

IMO, a good single conductor is slightly better than stranded wire, but not night and day and it is more difficult to work with.

Drew_W

Screenwriter
You should try the Tweaking, Connections and Accessories forum. There's an awful lot more about it there since that's where this thread belongs...

Logan_B

Auditioning
I'm getting ready to buy new wire for my Athena setup and just noticed that Blue Jeans cable is now selling speaker wire. I'm thinking I'll give this stuff a try as I'm very happy with my component cables from them. 12 AWG Belden for .39/ft, not too shabby at all!

ScottCHI

Screenwriter
philmore "Superflex 12 AWG" oxygen-free speaker wire

beats me. it's what my local hardware store sells.

Ivan P

Stunt Coordinator
What is your hardware store brand,
I will check around and see what the hardware stores selling.

Do the blue jeans has the belden P/N on their site?

Joe Mihok

Second Unit
12 AWG In-Wall Oxygen Free from Home Depot (the green stuff). It goes for $0.90 per meter and I use it for my full 5.1 setup including my passive Tempest sub and it seems to work dandy. I have no idea who makes it. I can check it out when I get home though.

Lee Bailey

Second Unit
Real Name
Lee Bailey
Monster Z2 cables for my L/C/R speakers, Monster Z1 cable for my surrounds. Of course, I won the cables back when Monster was having monthly drawings, so the price was right! I use the BetterCables sub cable, which I got from SVS, to run my SVS! The Z2's came in fancy carrying cases, the Z1 was on a 250ft roll. The Z2 cable goes for $5.00/ft, the Z1 goes for $2.50/ft(monster's pricing).

Dennis Heller

Second Unit
I just got back from Home Depot and got a length of 12 AWG with two copper strands (not one copper and one silver-color; it has a very thick, clear jacket but is still pretty flexible. It was supposed to be on clearance for $0.30/ft., but it rang up at $0.01/ft.! SKU# is 551-893 if you want to check your store.

Garrett Lundy

Senior HTF Member
My surrounds are run off of Monster something or another THX-certified w/ built-in gold plated pins. This was before I discovered HTF and learned I wasted my money on over-priced 16g wire, and I needed long lengths. Monster & Crutchfield were more than happy to sell me what I wanted for $$$ But It was paid for so its still there, except the pins have been stripped-off to make room for Radio Shack gold-plated bannana plugs.

The front three are Radio Shack "50' roll" of 14g wire. also terminated w/ RS gold-plated bannanas.

I'm pretty happy with it. :emoji_thumbsup:

Andy Goldstein

Stunt Coordinator
12ga THHN industrial wiring, red and black, tywrapped as needed. ring terminals on the speaker ends (old advents have studs with removable knurled nuts) and RS gold plated locking bananas on the receiver end. works fine, and i had the wire anyway! :)

ag.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks