What's new

speaker and receiver question (1 Viewer)

ments8

Auditioning
Real Name
Matt
Last year I purchased a home theatre in a box system, the Sony DAV-DZ100. Due to lack of digital inputs I am buying a receiver. I want the Sony STRDG500S. My question is whether or not it is possible to keep the speakers that came with my original system and use them with the receiver? If it is possible, how can it be done?

Here are links to both products:

http://www.sonystyle.ca/commerce/ser...ductId=1001242

http://www.sonystyle.ca/commerce/ser...h=n32100n32104

If this is possible it would save me a lot of money from buying new speakers.

Any help at all would be appreciated.

Seth=L

Screenwriter
Real Name
Seth L
The subwoofer is an issue for sure. It does not have it's own amplifier and relies on the HTIAB to provide it with power. However the Receiver you are looking at cannot perform that function, powering the sub. There aren't many receivers capable of powering a sub, I have not seen one in a long time other than other HTIAB systems.

The 5 speakers are easy, just disconnect the cables from the speakers and get some 16 gauge wire in a spool to wire those up.

It all depends on how much money you want to spend really. For less than $1000 you could have a very respectable system.

Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Wayne
Shouldn’t be a problem. If the speakers from the DAV came with speaker wires with plugs on them, you can cut them off and strip back the wires to connect to the new receiver. If the sub doesn’t have a built-in amp, you can use the DAV as the amp.

Regards,
Wayne A. Pflughaupt

JeremyErwin

Senior HTF Member
hmm:

passive subwoofer. That's a problem.
Impedance: 2.7 ohm: that's a problem.

No, I'm afraid that most receivers are designed for use with 8 ohm speakers and active subwoofers.

Any particular reason you want a Sony STRDG500S?

Seth=L

Screenwriter
Real Name
Seth L
That doesn't help Sony's rep, cough! bad rep cough!

I would go with new speakers, you will thank yourself later. Insignia NS-B2111 bookshelf speaker air awesome for $50 a pair.

ments8

Auditioning
Real Name
Matt
Thanks everyone for your replies. There is no reason I chose the Sony other than the price seemed pretty good. I really don't want to spend a lot of money as I just purchased an Xbox 360 (the reason why I want a receiver in the first place). So what I am taking from your responses is that I just need to get a new sub and keep the same speakers.

I don't understand the Impedance issue though.

If anyone has any other recommendations/workarounds it would be helpful. Thanks.

ments8

Auditioning
Real Name
Matt
I was just checking the prices for subwoofers and I can't really spend that much money at this time.

How is it possible to use the DAV as the amp? Would this still allow for 5.1 discrete audio?

JeremyErwin

Senior HTF Member
Low impedence speakers (1--4 ohms) can cause some amplifiers to either shut down, or generate a lot of heat, possibly leading to fires.

A few receivers are designed with low impedence speakers in mind-- but harmon-kardon, NAD, etc. are probably out of your price range.

Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Wayne
Assuming the DAV has some kind of line input (“Video,” “Aux,” “CD,” etc.) you can run the new receiver’s subwoofer output to that input on the DAV. Then connect the sub as you had it before.

Regards,
Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks