What's new
Signup for GameFly to rent the newest 4k UHD movies!

Pre-Order Spartacus 60th Anniversary Edition (1960) (4k UHD) Available for Preorder (1 Viewer)

Please support HTF by using one of these affiliate links when considering a purchase.

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
Has anyone noticed that the picture on the left has an actress named Sabina Bergman who was fired by Stanley Kubrick when he took over the diirection of the film. She was of course replaced by Jean Simmons without ever being filmed. That picture is a publicity photo taken prior to filming.

Sabina (Sabine) Bethmann

Johnny Angell

Played With Dinosaurs Member
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
Ugh! Did they take those cover images from the Spartacus miniseries? They have absolutely nothing to do with the original production. Hard pass.
I don’t like the cover art, but that will have no bearing on weather I buy this release.

Reactions: PMF

Ray H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ray
Has anyone noticed that the picture on the left has an actress named Sabina Bethmann who was fired by Stanley Kubrick when he took over the diirection of the film. She was of course replaced by Jean Simmons without ever being filmed. That picture is a publicity photo taken prior to filming.
Makes it all the more collectible. "Featuring rare, unused publicity photos!" Lol.

MartinP.

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Martin
Filming Spartacus...

I've always liked this 1959 photo of Stanley Kubrick filming a scene from Spartacus on the hills of Universal Studios next to the Hollywood Freeway.

Can anyone figure out what scene they might be filming or name anyone in the photograph?

aasparticus1959huge.jpg

The relatively new (a decade or more) bridge over the 101 (Hollywood Freeway) to the Universal Theme Park now crosses the freeway here from Cahuenga Blvd. (along the top of the photo) and connects with the dirt road in the foreground. FYI.

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
Filming Spartacus...

I've always liked this 1959 photo of Stanley Kubrick filming a scene from Spartacus on the hills of Universal Studios next to the Hollywood Freeway.

Can anyone figure out what scene they might be filming or name anyone in the photograph?

aasparticus1959huge.jpg

The relatively new (a decade or more) bridge over the 101 (Hollywood Freeway) to the Universal Theme Park now crosses the freeway here from Cahuenga Blvd. (along the top of the photo) and connects with the dirt road in the foreground. FYI.

Olivier and Ustinov after the final battle.

richardburton84

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Jack
Filming Spartacus...

aasparticus1959huge.jpg

As far as I can tell, the scene being filmed is the scene following the “I am Spartacus” scene was that’s definitely Laurence Olivier as Crassus and Peter Ustinov as Batiatus in the photo.

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
The story of Sabina (Sabine) Bethmann's casting and later replacement is fascinating in Kirk's book on the making of the film. So grateful Kirk could share these insider tidbits before he passed on.

Alan Tully

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alan
I'd have bet the rent money than an uncredited George Kennedy was in the cast & was one of those who shouted, I'm Spartacus! But it seems no, it was someone else, but whoever it was sure did look like him.

Paul Rossen

Screenwriter
I'd have bet the rent money than an uncredited George Kennedy was in the cast & was one of those who shouted, I'm Spartacus! But it seems no, it was someone else, but whoever it was sure did look like him.

As far as I know it is indeed George Kennedy in that iconic scene.

Paul Rossen

Screenwriter
As far as I can tell, the scene being filmed is the scene following the “I am Spartacus” scene was that’s definitely Laurence Olivier as Crassus and Peter Ustinov as Batiatus in the photo.

Yes, it could possibly be part of the scene in which they find Jean Simmons with baby. Fascinating photo.

Paul Rossen

Screenwriter
Ugh! Did they take those cover images from the Spartacus miniseries? They have absolutely nothing to do with the original production. Hard pass.

That is not correct. All the pictures are related to the 1960 Spartacus. Three are publicity pictures and one is from the film itself. Spartacus was a huge production and the publicity folks went into overdrive.a year before it’s release Saul Bass artwork was used declaring 1960, the year of Spartacus. If you’ve never seen Saul Bass’ artwork it was quite striking.

Paul Rossen

Screenwriter

Another tidbit. George Kennedy is also with Kirk Douglas in Lonely Are the Brave and In Harm’s Way.

dpippel

Yoyodyne Propulsion Systems
Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug
That is not correct. All the pictures are related to the 1960 Spartacus. Three are publicity pictures and one is from the film itself. Spartacus was a huge production and the publicity folks went into overdrive.a year before it’s release Saul Bass artwork was used declaring 1960, the year of Spartacus. If you’ve never seen Saul Bass’ artwork it was quite striking.

So you're saying that the steelbook cover shot of the raised arm holding the sword, with the small blurred piece of broken chain falling away and the blurred, streaky sparks was done in 1960? I'm dubious. That is VERY modern, particularly the streaky spark effect, and would have been decades ahead of its time when Spartacus was released. The same effect is on the rear cover photo. Neither image looks like it's circa 1960 in any way. Can you cite references? It doesn't appear in a single search that I've done on promotional/production photos for the film; only in conjunction with the upcoming steelbook release. I need some convincing. ;)

The OTHER artwork displayed is certainly from the film, but that cover art doesn't look like it is at all.

Last edited:

Paul Rossen

Screenwriter
So you're saying that the steelbook cover shot of the raised arm holding the sword, with the small blurred piece of broken chain falling away and the blurred, streaky sparks was done in 1960? I'm dubious. That is VERY modern, particularly the streaky spark effect, and would have been decades ahead of its time when Spartacus was released. The same effect is on the rear cover photo. Neither image looks like it's circa 1960 in any way. Can you cite references? It doesn't appear an a single search that I've done, except in conjunction with the upcoming steelbook release. I need some convincing. ;)

The OTHER artwork displayed is certainly from the film, but that cover art doesn't look like it is at all.

You are correct about the cover shot not being part of the production. I view it as a modern realistic take on Saul Bass’ original artwork as utilized by Criterion Collection on their outstanding for its time DVD set. Spartacus certainly had numerous different advertisiements over the years. The ones I’ve ever liked were the original Bass as well as the Reynold Brown additions utiling the Roman coins to showcase the great cast

dpippel

Yoyodyne Propulsion Systems
Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug
My post was only referring to the cover art, which I don't care for at all. It really does look like something associated with the 2010 miniseries, and feels out of place to me. With so much great original artwork at their disposal, it's disappointing to me that Universal went in this direction. So, I'll be buying the regular 4K release and not the steelbook.

I love Saul Bass' work as well, and he was certainly ahead of his time. :)

Alan Tully

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alan
As far as I know it is indeed George Kennedy in that iconic scene.

Well I read that it is in fact stuntman and actor Bob Morgan, who looked very much like George Kennedy. I'm sure I'll get an answer here.

Not that I'm at all bothered about covers, but it's a shame Universal didn't use the classic, gold coins on a red background poster art for the cover. Up to about ten years ago I still had my souvenir programme from when I saw it in the early sixties, but living a life, these things go missing.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Josh.1983
Recent bookmarks