ScottJH

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Scott
The pic of the back on Amazon is saying it will have Dolby Vision & DTS:X audio.

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
A few days ago, I finished reading Kirk Douglas' I Am Spartacus, his remembrance on the making of the film. I haven't watched the Blu-ray in a couple of years, but now with the knowledge that this is coming, I guess I'll wait and get this so I can watch it in UHD splendor.

I do recommend the book. Even though he was working off a half century old memory of the movie's production, there was still enough detail to keep me intriguingly turning pages to gobble it all up.

Lord Dalek

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joel Henderson
Wish that blurry old photo Criterion posted to their facebook years ago hadn't turned out to be a hoax. =/

Johnny Angell

Played With Dinosaurs Member
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
I’ve got the DVD Criterion Collection and it has a boatload of extras. There’s a commentary where a writer, maybe the author of the book, just takes Douglas to task for being a bad actor. Wish this release could have all the extras.

Reactions: PMF

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
This is great news. I will certainly purchase the new edition, if only to listen to Alex North's manouth score.
I don’t know if it’s still in print but about a decade ago I was gifted a mega box set with the Spartacus score, I think 6 CDs. If you don’t have it and like the score, see if it’s still available.

Reactions: Ken Koc and usrunnr

Paul Rossen

Screenwriter
Man, I hope Universal didn't screw the pooch with this upcoming release. I hate to be reading another Paramount/To Catch a Thief thread.

Why would you even ‘think’ along those lines. Universal has spent time and money over the years on Spartacus. It is one of their Crown Jewels and the film that really put Stanley Kubrick in the public’s eyes. The last blu ray was/ is a knockout and rivals the picture and sound of the original roadshow engagements. This new 4K UHD should improve upon that release ...

Billy Batson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alan
Man, I hope Universal didn't screw the pooch with this upcoming release. I hate to be reading another Paramount/To Catch a Thief thread.
Ha, well it sounds like they did a great job on Jaws, & they did the restoration originally, so I have no worries that it'll be anything other than tickety-boo.

Reactions: PMF

PMF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Philip
If such a thing were to happen the uprising of HTF members would be greater than the Third Servile War. But do take heart, Mr. Crawford, Universal’s track record is looking Ultra good. :thumbs-up-smiley:

Last edited:
Reactions: Paul Rossen

Paul Rossen

Screenwriter
A Steelbook is coming too!

View attachment 73431
Has anyone noticed that the picture on the left has an actress named Sabina Bethmann who was fired by Stanley Kubrick when he took over the diirection of the film. She was of course replaced by Jean Simmons without ever being filmed. That picture is a publicity photo taken prior to filming.

Last edited:

Forum Sponsors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PJay