Paul Rossen

Screenwriter
Well I read that it is in fact stuntman and actor Bob Morgan, who looked very much like George Kennedy. I'm sure I'll get an answer here.

Not that I'm at all bothered about covers, but it's a shame Universal didn't use the classic, gold coins on a red background poster art for the cover. Up to about ten years ago I still had my souvenir programme from when I saw it in the early sixties, but living a life, these things go missing.
Just looked this up and lo and behold it’s not George Kennedy.

PMF

Cinematographer
Supporter
Real Name
Philip
I'd have bet the rent money than an uncredited George Kennedy was in the cast & was one of those who shouted, I'm Spartacus! But it seems no, it was someone else, but whoever it was sure did look like him.
Reports have it that there is still a “lost” outtake within a private collection. From descriptions told to me, the clip has that very actor shouting, “I am Kennedy”.:wave-hello:

Dave Moritz

Lead Actor
Premium
Real Name
Dave Moritz
I have just never gotten around to getting this title and have never actually seen this movie. So I am actually really looking forward to seeing this movie and getting it on 4K Blu-ray.

Reactions: PMF

Billy Batson

Cinematographer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alan
I think it suffers from a common fault in historical epics, in that the second half is not nearly as good as the first half (Cleopatra & The Robe have that in spades - & of course Gone With The Wind). Ben-Hur neatly sidesteps that by having that amazing chariot race in the second half. I'd sort of given up on it, but then just had to buy the restoration, & that made a hell of a difference, I've seen the new Blu-ray two or three times & thoroughly enjoyed it each time, it's a real event movie.

Last edited:

Fritz Nilsen

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Fritz Nilsen
Not that I'm at all bothered about covers, but it's a shame Universal didn't use the classic, gold coins on a red background poster art for the cover. Up to about ten years ago I still had my souvenir programme from when I saw it in the early sixties, but living a life, these things go missing.
I agree. I even made a custom insert for the last remaster. I may have to update it to suit the upcoming UHD release. (Everyone may PM me if you want the file to print one yourself.)
I really can't come to terms with modern media packaging's aversion to painted artwork, I really can't.

RMajidi

Screenwriter
Real Name
Ramin
I think it suffers from a common fault in historical epics, in that the second half is not nearly as good as the first half (Cleopatra & The Robe have that in spades - & of course Gone With The Wind). Ben-Hur neatly sidesteps that by having that amazing chariot race in the second half. I'd sort of given up on it, but then just had to buy the restoration, & that made a hell of a difference, I've seen the new Blu-ray two or three times & thoroughly enjoyed it each time, it's a real event movie.
I’d agree about the other films you mentioned, but as to Spartacus, I’d rate the first half as great, the second half as great and the ending as transformative.

Reactions: Bill Fisher

Robert Crawford

Real Name
Robert
I disagree with you about Ben-Hur as I find the second half just as great as the first half. Ben-Hur's interactions with the Arabs and Jesus's crucifixion are crucial parts of the movie for me beyond just the chariot race.

ScottJH

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Scott
I agree. I even made a custom insert for the last remaster. I may have to update it to suit the upcoming UHD release. (Everyone may PM me if you want the file to print one yourself.)
I really can't come to terms with modern media packaging's aversion to painted artwork, I really can't.

Nice work! Universal made the front of the Restored Edition steelbook that came out 11/05/19 very similar.
1591048148780.png

Agree the UHD steelbook exterior artwork is a :thumbsdown:.

Reactions: Fritz Nilsen

Billy Batson

Cinematographer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alan
As Willy Wyler said if the film was only remembered for the chariot race ,he would have failed.
He did not.
Well he would do, after all he didn't direct the chariot race. I love all of Ben-Hur (& it's about time I looked at the Blu-ray again), it's just that having the chariot race in the second half, helped it go with a bang, & of course the crucifixion. Anyway, Spartacus, it's amazing how a stellar transfer can help you appreciate the film even more.

Bill Fisher

Agent
Real Name
Bill Fisher
Why would you even ‘think’ along those lines. Universal has spent time and money over the years on Spartacus. It is one of their Crown Jewels and the film that really put Stanley Kubrick in the public’s eyes. The last blu ray was/ is a knockout and rivals the picture and sound of the original roadshow engagements. This new 4K UHD should improve upon that release ...
Actually they DID muck up the first blu ray of the film. Bad reviews. They had to go back and correct it and rerelease it. Much in the same way that Fox did with PATTON. Still waiting, incidentally for Fox to correct KING AND I. But....it's now Disney. Don't know if the Mickey Mouse has the same devotion to their new library.

Colin Jacobson

Lead Actor
Senior HTF Member
Actually they DID muck up the first blu ray of the film. Bad reviews. They had to go back and correct it and rerelease it. Much in the same way that Fox did with PATTON.
Agree the 1st BDs of "Spartacus" and "Patton" were awful. The remastered "Patton" was an enormous improvement.

Never saw the remastered "Spartacus". Anyone wanna loan me a copy? :D

dpippel

HTF Premium Member
Premium
Real Name
Doug
Agree the 1st BDs of "Spartacus" and "Patton" were awful. The remastered "Patton" was an enormous improvement.

Never saw the remastered "Spartacus". Anyone wanna loan me a copy? :D
The remastered Blu of Spartacus looks spectacular! I'm really interested to see how much of an improvement the 4K release is, because what we have right now is very nice indeed.

trajan007

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Larry C Bender
As I said before I think the black levels in the titles need improvement.

Last edited:
Reactions: dpippel

Forum Sponsors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bats8711