Bill Fisher

Agent
Real Name
Bill Fisher
As Willy Wyler said if the film was only remembered for the chariot race ,he would have failed.
He did not.
He didn't fail at all. As splendid and fantastic as the chariot race was--the stages of the cross, Hur's offering of water to the tortured Christ, his transformation, the miracle in the cave and the final reunion all comprised the HUGE emotional payoff of the film.

Bill Fisher

Agent
Real Name
Bill Fisher
I agree. I even made a custom insert for the last remaster. I may have to update it to suit the upcoming UHD release. (Everyone may PM me if you want the file to print one yourself.)
I really can't come to terms with modern media packaging's aversion to painted artwork, I really can't.

Fritz...you did that? It's absolutely beautiful. Good work!

Allansfirebird

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Sean
Unless there's something new in the way of special features, I don't see me purchasing Spartacus again. It's surprising that Universal has never created a true making-of documentary for Spartacus for any of the releases over the years. I'd have thought it would've been a shoo-in for the Laurent Bouzerau treatment when Uni was doing their signature collection laserdisc series during the 90's.

Reactions: ArnoldLayne

titch

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Kevin Oppegaard
Unless there's something new in the way of special features, I don't see me purchasing Spartacus again. It's surprising that Universal has never created a true making-of documentary for Spartacus for any of the releases over the years. I'd have thought it would've been a shoo-in for the Laurent Bouzerau treatment when Uni was doing their signature collection laserdisc series during the 90's.
Ah yes - but it got the milestone Criterion laserdisc treatment then! The only DVD I have purchased during the last ten years was the Criterion Spatacus DVD when the remastered Universal blu-ray was released in 2015. The supplements are great and it has a commentary, featuring a certain RAH.

Reactions: ArnoldLayne

AlexNH

Second Unit
Real Name
Alex Koutroubas
I agree, I wish there was more special features. I also wish they would find the missing scenes when the two Senators go through the streets of Rome. But I'll still buy it regardless (assuming the PQ is an improvement). I believe it's confirmed that there will NOT be any new features.

Billy Batson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alan
Yeah, the film's the thing. I'd rather they spent all their budget on the transfer. I rarely watch extras these days, & when I do it's just the once (but I do like a good commentary).

Jim*Tod

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Jim
Definitely looking forward to Mr Harris's review. I was sampling the blu ray tonight and it is hard to imagine it looking better but after seeing the LAWRENCE OF ARABIA UHD disc last weekend, I know it will be amazing.

• Agreed
Reactions: PMF

OliverK

Senior HTF Member
Agree the 1st BDs of "Spartacus" and "Patton" were awful. The remastered "Patton" was an enormous improvement.

Never saw the remastered "Spartacus". Anyone wanna loan me a copy? :D
The remastered Spartacus is a bigger improvement even than the remastered Patton so you are in for a treat. In the opening scenes shot by Anthony Mann it makes the old Blu-ray look like a DVD as there is such a big difference in detail:

Reactions: PMF

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
Definitely looking forward to Mr Harris's review. I was sampling the blu ray tonight and it is hard to imagine it looking better but after seeing the LAWRENCE OF ARABIA UHD disc last weekend, I know it will be amazing.
The truly amazing one is MFL in 4k.

Reactions: PMF and Jim*Tod

Forum Sponsors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
conradfan