What's new

Sound system for man cave/garage info needed (1 Viewer)

scot9055

Auditioning
Real Name
scott
Wow this thing is loud and amazingly clear sound. Only 2 of the speakers have came in so far. I have figured out how to play music thru the computer and iPod. Anyone know what fm receiver I could match up to this emotiva/behringer combo that has really good reception since I live way out in the sticks?

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
I'm glad you are pleased with the sound. I had specifically stated that this system is intended only for digital sources, so FM will pose some obstacles. You don't need a receiver, which will have a lot of circuitry you already have and don't need to duplicate. You only need an FM tuner. If you get the sound mixer that was suggested, then the tuner can feed into it. Otherwise, you can use an iPod (like a Touch) or other device that has an FM tuner in it and a digital output, but they will have weak reception. Probably your best option is to get an FM tuner and a good FM antenna. The antenna is the most important part for reception. If you can mount it on the roof (outdoors) and run a cable to the system, that's your best option. Then, something like THIS will let you connect it to the XDA-2 Pre-amp.

You might just want to get a used FM tuner on eBay. I'm sure others here know current models if you want to get a new one.

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
...or, there is This FM/Internet tuner. People seem to like it and it has everything you need, including the digital output and adds internet radio. I'm even kind of interested in giving it a try.

Robert_J

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
That's an awesome tuner for someone starting out. I can do all of those sources via apps on my Android tablet or through existing equipment that supports Pandora or SiriusXM.

I've given up on local FM except for occaisionally listening to the morning guys when I have to leave the house. Since I work from home, I don't even need to hear local traffic so it's XM or IHeartRadio for me.

Scott,
For FM you may need a good external antenna especially inside a metal building. Where I grew up in Arkansas, the closest rock radio station was in Greenville, MS about 50 miles away. The closer stations played both kinds of music, country and western.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks