What's new

Sound Problems (1 Viewer)

Ike

Screenwriter
I've had several computer problems, and I've finally got most of them nailed down. But, to do this, I had to replace my motherboard. I'm pretty sure that to do this, my old sound card was removed, in favor of one built on the motherboard (An Asus).
Problem is, it now hums, pops, and fuzzes all the time through my speakers, unless I mute them, or turn the speakers off. I thought that this was because I'd blown my subwoofer (they were going out before the changes) and possibly my speakers, but it does the exact same thing when I plug in headphones. The humming changes depending on what I'm doing-it stops if I'm scrolling, wobbles if I'm ripping music, and will occasionally stop.
This is frustrating, and I'm hoping someone will know what's up, or how I can solve this.
[EDIT: Can a mod please change the title to sound problems? Never multitask while surfing, less you get weird thread titles! ]

JasenP

Screenwriter
Real Name
Jasen
Check the settings for your soundcard and disable the line-in and/or microphone if you are not using them.

Also check to see if everything (Including the power cable) is seated correctly.

Good Luck!

Max Leung

Senior HTF Member
If Jasen's advice doesn't work, then the motherboard's analog output circuitry is poorly designed, and catching all the EM interference like a radio antenna. My condolences. :frowning:
The only solution to that is to use the motherboard's S/PDIF connector, if you're lucky enough to have one and a set of digital speakers.

DaveGTP

Senior HTF Member
You can always disable the motherboard's on-board sound, and use your old soundcard (unless it was an old ISA card, and you no longer have ISA slots)...

JasenP

Screenwriter
Real Name
Jasen
Another suggestion...

I had buzzing coming from my speakers that was caused by the PS2 mouse that I was using. I switched to an optical USB and it went away! See if the movement of your mouse makes a different sound from your speakers.

Vince Maskeeper

Senior HTF Member
I had a similar problem with an older system- scrolling would cause the sound to warble and go nuts. In the end the only solution was getting rid of that Mobo.

-Vince

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks