What's new

Sound of Music: GREAT extras but sound a disappointment (1 Viewer)

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
My apologies in advance, as I may tend to be all over the
place here ---
Let's get to some basics.
Any discussion or comparison to VHS, 70mm, 35mm
or laserdisc as a comparison format is really out
of place here. The only question is "what does the
DVD look like?" as a completed published DVD.
There should not be any discussion here of Technicolor
(or My Fair Lady) vs. Eastmancolor or color by deluxe.
For our purposes there is no difference. MFL, SOM,
LOA (Lawrence), and every other large format film
made in this part of the world between about
1961 and the early 70s were all photographed on
basically the same photographic emulsion. All are
Eastmancolor and processing was handled in
basically the same manner in all labs worldwide.
TSOM, to the best of my knowledge, has not been
restored. The elements delivered for transfer were
the elements delivered for transfer.
Looking at the DVD, I'm seeing elements from different
sources, with quality all over the place. The most
obvious problem of which seems to be defective separation
masters. Not a problem unique to Fox or the industry, but
a problem which may rear its ugly head more often at Fox
as they have had no ongoing asset protection program.
They're just getting to it. Which is a major step in the right direction.
This means that the seps were probably never inspected or printed until after they were needed to create dupe footage. At which point, it was found that there were problems.
And there was no negative to go back to, to create
corrected seps.
No pun intended here, but let's start at the very beginning...
The THX logo is beautiful. It translates well to DVD.
The Fox logo, which had no Harrison filters involved in
its creation is however, ugly. It falls apart on the screen
with an excess of digititis and sharpening.
The Main Title sequence:
When this film was newly released in 1965 the MT was
already a fourth generation element -- not
a pretty picture before the introduction of the modern
Eastman duping stocks in the 80s (5243/5244).
Therefore, you are going to see anamolies built in to
the MT, which are, and have been part of it (and every
other film from this period) since day one. Throbbing, color inconsistencies, etc. are something that
we live with here.
One means around the problem might have been to go back
to the MT background -- used for foreign versions -- and
recomp -- on video -- the domestic graphics. Did the main
title background survive or was it junked? Only Fox can
answer than question.
Not part of this however, is the constant blooming effect,
digital artifacts, blown out whites, etc that are a part
of this DVD. Notice please...
I'm not saying transfer.
The transfer may be gorgeous, even as an NTSC image.
What I'm seeing in this image, which makes it totally
unwatchable to my eyes, are the constant horrific living
digital organisms which seem to have invaded what may have
been a great transfer. They pulse, they spawn and
replicate before my eyes and attempt to surround
everything as they attach themselves and
destroy the picture.
Whether this comes from compression or authoring, I can't
say. There are many who are much more knowledgable than
I in these areas.
Back to the film image a moment.
There are certain units (reels) which obviously are
derived from black and white sep masters as I've
already mentioned.
One of the problems that one will see in bad masters
is color throbbing. If you look at at scene with a
neutral background -- example 25 minutes in -- notice
that the walls throb from a neutral beigish to yellow/
magenta and back again. This is continuous.
And not correctible under normal transfer conditions.
Therefore this should not be a gripe as it cannot be
corrected during transfer -- or can it?
Something earthshaking occurred this week which
is not obvious.
Warner's beautiful new transfer of North by Northwest.
One must credit Warner's foresight here -- probably toward Ned Price and his staff, for attempting something
new and different. For Warner had a problem.
A big problem.
The original VVLA (35/8) negative of N X NW had been
allowed to fade beyond the use of any normal printing
methodology. This calls for a real Restoration.
But they didn't want to do that just yet, and they needed
a superior video transfer. So what did they do?
They took the faded original, made an interpositive in
8 perf and created what would have been a totally
unuseable and ultimately unviewable master. Because the
yellow layer had faded as far as it had, the film actually
flickered.
"So what's the trick then."
They thought through the problem and in my mind brilliantly came up with an answer.
For quite a while a gentleman named John Lowry had been
working on a process for digitally correcting yellow layer
failure and other anomolies on film -- but correcting them
on video.
Warner had the guts to go in a different direction, used
his process (the basis was the uncorrected VVLA transfer)
and out the other end came...
The beautiful new transfer of North by Northwest (which
should go into everyone's library - with a back-up copy.)
Buy two, they're inexpensive.
Would this process have been able to take care of the
problems created by the sep masters? Possibly.
So where does this leave us?
Here's my view. And I may be wrong on some counts.
A beautiful HiDef transfer was created from whatever
was delivered to the transfer facility by Fox. I read
in one very interesting piece that one reel -- 5B? -- had its timing (light) changes out of sync -- two frames off -- which necessitated major corrections in transfer.
This is called defective lab work, which is routinely
kicked back to the lab and remade gratis. This is not
a $20,000 remake of a reel. An entire print would cost
$20,000. A reel of interpositive, $4,000.
But, nevertheless, the transfer people had to deal
with it and seem to have done a terrific job.
Getting past the minutia, we should all agree that
the transfer staff and colorist had their hands full.
Fortunately they had Bob Wise and Ted McCord to give
notes. And I don't doubt for a moment, that they created
a superb transfer, taking into account the worts and all
status of the material deposited with them.
But in the end, it's not Eastmancolor, nor 65mm, nor
filters (take a look at the Golden Gate Bridge sequence
in "Vertigo" to see filtered/softened light taken to DVD) which make this an unpleasant viewing experience.
But rather, something that occurred after the transfer.
Something too dark and hideous to even ponder.
Something that marred this superb work with festering
digititis. And left in its wake, a truly horrific
example of DVD technology in the late summer of 2000.
I don't know what happened. I don't have the answers.
However, if it were my transer-- if I were Fox --
which I ain't...
I would recall and go back to the beginning.
I know that this film can look much better.

Rich Malloy

Senior HTF Member
Wow.
Your insights into the NxNW transfer process are fascinating. I know everyone's been sitting around, scratching their heads, wondering how the hell Warner pulled it off. Although it doesn't address the problem of actually preserving the film element, it seems to be almost a revolutionary process for digital transfer.
It was difficult for me to tell from your explanation (as I lack all requisite technical knowledge), but is this process something that can be used successfully for digitally transfering any and all fading color films?
...they [FOX] have had no ongoing asset protection program. They're just getting to it. Which is a major step in the right direction.
This is good news. I can't tell you how disappointed I was to read the review of The Sound of Music, one of my most highly anticipated discs, over at The Big Picture (supplemented by the very informative Q&A session with you). I hope that, in the future, Fox reserves it's 'Five Star Rating' for those DVDs that actually deserve it.

Aaron Ulmer

Agent
Help!
I'm getting conflicting information here! I keep hearing two completely different stories on the quality of this transfer.
On the one hand, I am hearing experts complaining that this was really botched up and on the other hand I'm hearing members stating that the transfer is the best thing since sliced bread.
Please help. Those who are disappointed with the transfer, are you being critical since you expected more from this title or did the bad quality really jump out at you? Is it bad to the point of distraction? Will I notice these defects on my 27" television?

Jeff Ulmer

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Aaron;
I think most people will be happy with the DVD version, but as noted above, there are issues which could (should) have been fixed. Having not seen this film in years, it was wonderful to watch again, however I did notice the edge enhancement, color throbbing, the digital squirmies on backgrounds, and an inconsistency in the elements throughout the film. This may be the best this film has ever looked on home release, but I am positive that it could look MUCH better if handled properly.
I would hope that a film like SOM would be taken care of for a future release, as I am sure that it could look amazing in hidef.
As for the sound, although I did find the levels a bit low, overall it was pretty good, though it would have been great to get rid of all the hiss on all the dialog, but I don't know what they were dealing with for a source to say how easy that would or would not be.
------------------
Link Removed | DVD Reviews at digitallyOBSESSED.com

Matt Perkins

Stunt Coordinator
Aaron, I sure do notice them on my 27" TV. The blue-sky backgrounds showed the same artifacting (or "digititus" -- great word!) so common in Warner's first discs (Unforgiven comes to mind). I'm told this is caused by anything from low MPEG-2 data rates, high levels of visible grain, and digital color-correction applied to the master before the MPEG-encoding. Watching North by Northwest, I kept thinking, "WHY couldn't Sound of Music have looked like this!!"
(I can't believe Robert Harris is here. Someone should make a "bowing" smiley face, a la "we're not worthy!")

RAF

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Great thread!
Robert Harris has provided us with some excellent information regarding the nuts and bolts of film, film transfers, the materials, the mechanics, etc. No need to apologize, Bob, for "rambling." The information that you have provided in your reply is extremely valuable. You certainly taught this "old guy" a couple of things. Please feel free to continue to provide the insider's perspective.
And I realize that there are many people who are confused as to whether or not to add this movie to their collection. If anyone were to guarantee that Fox will redo this movie in a reasonable time frame then I would suggest that those who are on the fence should wait.
However, in the realities of the DVD release world, I would think that this is not going to happen in the foreseeable future, so if you are a fan of the movie (and most of the western world appears to be) then this is a must have acquisition. Even with the disappointing video (by today's standards) I sat through the almost 3 hour presentation practically singing along with the songs.
I would never, ever use TSOM (at least this rendition) to show off my SONY VW10HT. At 110" the artifacts and other video nonsense would definitely convince some people that my VW10HT is a piece of crap. I can't think of any other anamorphic movie that has received so many good DVD reviews that looks so bad on the big screen. I will say it once again: Without a doubt, the anamorphic Sound of Music DVD looks worse, much worse than the non-anamorphic Planets of the Apes DVD. And these two movies, although produced by different processes, are relatively contemporary (late 1960's) so I don't want to hear anything about it being an "old" movie.
Mr. Harris has pointed out that there are some stunning transfers out there made from stock much older than The Sound of Music. Yes, something went wrong, somewhere. (I think I'll summon my friend, Marc Wielage, the telecinist, to add his thoughts to the mix.)
In summary, I'll probably watch this disc again, but I won't be using it as a movie to show off my system (which is a shame, since the M&K speakers do bring out the nice dialogue and vocals - along with the directionality - of this DD 4.0 mix.)
And, of course, if and when this disc is re-worked correctly I'll probably be the first in line to get it. But if someone in your family is a fan of TSOM, at least this DVD (and it does have great extras) is certainly going to give them hours of enjoyment - especially if "digital artifacts" is something that is foreign to their vocabulary.
The curse of the typical HT fanatic is that we are cursed with the knowledge of how good this could have been.
------------------
RAF
[Demented Video Dude since 1997]
[Computer Maven since 1956]
["PITA" since 1942]
Link Removed

DaViD Boulet

Senior HTF Member
Mike wrote:
HAVE said:
As far as the sound of music goes, here's a layman's opinion on the biggest problem (a 16x9 equipped laymen):
Edge enhancement. This never works on DVD. It either seems to make compression more difficult or perhaps with the resolution of DVD it can appear as digital artifacts...and really comes accross this way when film-grain is present (Out of Africa is an example of this, I'm sad to say).
But there was actually one scene on the TSOM actually almost crossed that "This is a Columbia Tristar DVD" threshold. It was the Lonely Goatheard Puppet Show. Clean. Clear. Detailed. 3-Dimensional. Perhaps this particular scene avoided the dreded edge-enhancement somehow? Robert...on your sony LCD projector which I'm so jealous I don't have...how does this scene look?
Back to the edge-enhancment thing. Columbia's discs never look this way. Even when their transfers are old or soft in focus (Ground Hog Day, It Could Happen To You) they leave them alone. The result is you see what looks like a film on your 16x9 screen--soft focus and film-grain and all.
All in All I'm at least contented that TSOM is 16x9 and definitely puts the laserdisc to shame (remember how we all said how that LD was such a great THX transfer? Boy how our standards have gone up since then!!!). Hopefully by the time we get HD-DVD Fox will have figured it out.
-dave

Jeff Ulmer

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
I would echo Robert A Fowkes that despite knowing it could be better, TSOM is a very enjoyable experience on DVD. I would also thank Robert Harris for an education into what causes the anomalies and some of their solutions - I hope to see more info like this posted around here.
When I returned home from purchasing TSOM, I thought to myself how fortunate I was to be able to buy the movies I grew up with on DVD. While not perfect, TSOM had me hooked throughout, and it was wonderful to experience it again at home, in widescreen for the first time. For those on the fence, buy it - but know that if you love this film, it won't be the last time you do.
------------------
Link Removed | DVD Reviews at digitallyOBSESSED.com

Tyler Ruggeri

Stunt Coordinator
I think the only thing bad about this thread is that we haven't mentioned any of the great extras yet. I got my disc Monday and I still haven't been able to surf through it all! Everything is fantastic, and I won't bother to go through them one by one because they are too many. The 87-minute documentary is wonderful, and it seems like Fox went out of their way to provide accurate historical insights into the real life events behind the film more than anything else. The text with pictures, storyboards, etc., was unbelievable in quantity and quality. I hope to get through all of it in my spare time by Labor Day, but it's quite a chore.
Tyler Ruggeri

Jeff Keene

Supporting Actor
Aaarrrrgghhh!
My copy is all scratchied up! Bad Best Buy.com!
Wonder if they'll exchange at a BB store...

RAF

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
But there was actually one scene on the TSOM actually almost crossed that "This is a Columbia Tristar DVD" threshold. It was the Lonely Goatheard Puppet Show. Clean. Clear. Detailed. 3-Dimensional. Perhaps this particular scene avoided the dreded edge-enhancement somehow? Robert...on your sony LCD projector which I'm so jealous I don't have...how does this scene look?
DaViD,
Interesting that you should ask and very perceptive of you. As soon as I got through the opening scene of The Sound of Music (and was disappointed with the video quality) I decided to do a bit of "scene surfing," stopping at each scene which featured a musical number to enjoy the music and the choreography. The "Lonely Goatheard" Bill and Cora Baird puppet show scene literally jumps off the screen in compaison to most of the rest of the movie. And yes, now that you mention it, this could very well be due to the lack of edge enhancement. Could the "powers that be" have felt that edge enhancement wasn't necessary since the scenery in the puppet show was fake?
laugh.gif

Anyway, here's what the VW10HT looks like for the "Lonely Goatheard" scene.
Link Removed
------------------
RAF
["PITA" since 1942]
Link Removed

Anders Englund

Second Unit
I haven't seen the DVD yet... Well, I haven't even bought it, but something came to me when I read this thread. My mom, who loves this movie, mentioned something when we watched it on TV a few years ago. She commented that she saw it in the theaters, and it was pretty bad picture quality even then. Especially the scene where the oldest girl meets her boyfriend in the garden.
Maybe the DVD is as good as it could be.
//Anders
------------------
Link Removed
Reality is what you make up when you can't handle your fantasies.

Brian W

Stunt Coordinator
I think the picture, sound is fabulous, the movie is brought back to life! My set up is the Elite 510, Panasonic progressive scan H-1000 and the receiver is the Elite VSX-24TX. I have seen the movie during it's original release and various theatrical re-releases, although I was only 7 in 1964 I can remember first seeing it vividly. The movie is responsible for my film and cinema appreciation, it started there. I always remember the colors being muted. I think the DVD has restored the film's original look and from what I understand they were fortunate enough to have Robert Wise's guidance and approval for the final transfer. I think any of the flaws, film and lens artifacts are inherent to the film, they were already there -some maybe even when the film was new. And some of these "flaws" are SO minor that I think any further extensive clean up wasn't necessary. Also, most of us were pretty young when we first or last had the opportunity to see SOM in a theater. We may be remembering colors being more vibrant, details that really weren't there, because the movie itself made such an impression, it's scale, locations etc.
I'm not sorry to say that I respectfully disagree with some of you. I think this transfer is as good as it gets. Maybe some of you set yourself up for disappointment with anticipation, there is such a passion for this movie. I did have the laser disc box set too. Needless to even compare except to say that some of the "flaws" pointed out were there on the laser disc too. The DVD just makes them more noticeable with high-definition now being the format. I like seeing the grain! I can feel the film again. You would see the grain if you had the opportunity to see the film projected again theatrically, it was there and it is there. And even with all the extensive FILM restoration that My Fair Lady received, I could still find quite a few flaws and less than pristine frames with that DVD. You just can't hold these films up to todays cinematic standards. It was a different time and era. Film stocks, speeds, processes, lenses were different then. In some ways many of the processes were better more detailed than today, but today the technology is more sophisticated and less labor intensive with digital and all, although the results may be sometimes less sophisticated. There was more craftsmanship then, and sometimes today we forget that soft focus, muted colors were intentional, flesh tones un-natural because of the make up and hot lights the film stocks required. This to me is part of the experience. I don't want the film to look like it was made in the year 2000! As it has already been pointed out, MFL had a different quality than SOM. I am sure what we are fortunate to have with these two DVD transfers is an accurate and close match to how these films looked when both films were new in 1964 and 1965.
And I think the SOM sound is incredible. I think they stretched the audio tracks as far as they could with all the source limitations.

RAF

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
I think the picture, sound is fabulous
Brian,
While I can partially agree with the above statement in regards to the sound of this DVD I must respectfully disagree with your respectful disagreement as far as the picture is concerned. There is absolutely no way that I would use the adjective "fabulous" in describing the video.
If you are saying that the DVD faithfully represents the original picture as it appeared in 1965, then I understand your point. However, I don't remember the movie looking so flawed in terms of blemishes back in 1965. Of course, I was fresh out of college and might not have really been paying as much attention to picture quality in those days.
wink.gif

Maybe The Sound of Music was not a great picture in terms of a clear image. (After all, with all the honors TSOM garnered, Dr. Zhivago took the Oscar for color cinematography, if I remember correctly - if that's the award that would even apply here.)
And let's remember that I did say that this is a must have DVD for movie buffs, even with the video quality flaws. And what's wrong with trying to improve the sound and picture of an original? Yes, I understand that restoration implies getting back to the original condition of the object in question, and some purists would insist that this is the way it should be. However, in my opinion, if we have the opportunity to improve the quality of the original without changing the presentation (for example, I abhor "colorizing" of films!) I welcome this. Making a good color film a "great" color film doesn't violate original intent. Lots of movies have been improved for the home video market or for re-release into theaters.
As others have mentioned, maybe this just isn't possible in this particular case with TSOM.
The old sow's ear, silk purse thing!
Take care.
------------------
RAF
["PITA" since 1942]
Link Removed

Brian W

Stunt Coordinator
Robert-
Thanks, your points are all well taken. Just one technical question while I have your attention. What is edge enhancement? I read Robert Harris's review. I naturally respect his opinion. I saw My Fair Lady when it was first restored and in theatrical release and have been a big fan since. How could anyone doubt his opinion? We are privileged to have his expertise regarding this DVD. I worship the work he has done so far...when is Rear Window being released on DVD?, didn't he restore that too??? I did catch that at the theater last Spring.
But I really have not noticed all these digital artifacts that he, you and others have talked about. However, I do notice a certain degree of "ringing". Not that I want to notice all this bad stuff, just want to know what I seem to be missing. With the Elite 510 I turn off the SVM (scan velocity modulator) and that really minimizes the film grain, make the image even smoother. But as far as any digital or video artifacts, I just don't see them other than the ringing. With progressive scan and a HD screen, I just marvel at how smooth and film-like the image is when viewing excellent transfers including this disc. At least I originally thought was excellent when I first viewed it.
While I like to think my set up is rather sophisticated and state of the art, I am wondering if the more higher end larger set ups are showing the problems more, while a more modest 52" high definition/progressive scan format is maintaining a high degree of quality.

Aaron Ulmer

Agent
In the stereo field, there were people with such fine-tuned hearing, they could practically tell you the signal-to-noise ratio of an amp by just listening to it.
Is this a case of people doing the same thing with video? I personally don't know what halos, ringing, and edge enhancement even look like. I hear reviews saying there are digital artifacts all over the place, the image jumps around, and the like, but have yet to actually recognize any of these problems.
I guess I'm just blessed not being able to tell the difference. Because once you can tell the difference, you become much more critical of the material you view.

DaViD Boulet

Senior HTF Member
The DVD just makes them more noticeable with high-definition now being the format. I like seeing the grain! I can feel the film again. You would see the grain if you had the opportunity to see the film projected again theatrically, it was there and it is there.
Brian,
I agree with you totally about film grain...if it's supposed to be there (ie, not because it's a 5th generation print, but because the source film-stock was shot that way).
I also am not utterly dismayed with the image quality of TSOM. The contrast pumping during the opening credits is distracting, but for me my real gripe is the edge enhancement. I wish studios would "get over" this notion that they have to add ringing to all the edges to make all the blury 27" TV people happy. Ugh! DVD looks sharp on those small TV's anyway. And on larger properly calibrated systems, it just adds a distracting artifact.
It's the combination of film-grain and edge enhancement that bothers me.
But all in all I'm happy with the image (only a 34" 480P direct-view 16x9 TV). Hope I can say the same when I get my larger HDTV or front projector...unless I've got a properly mastered (no edge enhancement) 1080P HD-DVD in my hands by that point!
dave :)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
balajipackersmovers
Recent bookmarks