1. We suffered a brief outage this morning when our host noticed that HTF needed to be moved to a different server due to a hardware failure. That work is now complete. Please post in the feedback area if you have any issues.
    Dismiss Notice

sound from 'puter to receiver

Discussion in 'Home Theater Projects' started by AaronCushing, Jan 26, 2005.

1. AaronCushing

AaronCushing Agent

I'd like to run a stereo line from the output on my soundcard over to where my receiver is. In my equipment rack, I've got a 6-port Keystone plate , which already holds connects for satelleite, 2 subwoofer lines, phone, and ethernet. That leaves one blank space. I thought I'd just attach an eighth-inch chasis-mount stereo jack to a blank snap-in insert there, and tun a wire over to a similar plate in the office. What kind of wire to run though? Would a piece of Cat-5 do the trick, and just combine pairs, or should I run something different? FWIW, I'm only looking at about 15' of wire. Thanks for any help.

2. Leo Kerr

Leo Kerr Screenwriter

In my experience, if your card and receiver support it, run a single coax digital connection (usually marked S/PDIF or something similar.)

Most PCs are pretty horrid environments for analog signals, although there are some exceptions to that rule.

1/8" mini connectors are also pretty horrid.

Leo Kerr

3. Eric Samonte

Eric Samonte Screenwriter

Amen to that Leo. Use the digital connect if possible. Most soundcards nowadays have that anyway and running a single coax would be the most cost effective as well.

4. AaronCushing

AaronCushing Agent

Never thought about the coax. In truth, said computer (and soundcard) is at this point merely hypothetical. But soon it will exist, and when it does, there'll be a line between it and the receiver. Thanks guys.

5. Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Wayne
    Leo’s right, those 1/8” jacks are abysmal. If you end up going that route instead of digital, I’d convert the whole thing to 1/4”. I’d start with a regular 1/8” stereo cable, clip one end and solder on an in-line 1/4” stereo jack. Shouldn’t be a problem - since you were entertaining the keystone-mounted 1/8” jack, that tells me you can solder.

From that point, you can run a shielded two-conductor cable for your signal. Solder a 1/4” stereo plug at the computer end, to mate with the in-line jack, and install a 1 /4” stereo jack into your blank keystone plate. From there you can use a stereo 1/4” to RCA “y” adapter, to get the signal to the receiver. Make sense?

Before you go to all this trouble, I suggest first running a “throw down” connection between the computer and receiver to see how it works. I tried this one time and had a nasty hum. As Leo noted, computers can be a bad source for analog audio signals.

Regards,
    Wayne A. Pflughaupt

6. AaronCushing

AaronCushing Agent

thanks for the ideas Wayne. I'll give that a whirl if I can't make it work via coax.