What's new

sound from 'puter to receiver (1 Viewer)

AaronCushing

Agent
I'd like to run a stereo line from the output on my soundcard over to where my receiver is. In my equipment rack, I've got a 6-port Keystone plate , which already holds connects for satelleite, 2 subwoofer lines, phone, and ethernet. That leaves one blank space. I thought I'd just attach an eighth-inch chasis-mount stereo jack to a blank snap-in insert there, and tun a wire over to a similar plate in the office. What kind of wire to run though? Would a piece of Cat-5 do the trick, and just combine pairs, or should I run something different? FWIW, I'm only looking at about 15' of wire. Thanks for any help.

Leo Kerr

Screenwriter
In my experience, if your card and receiver support it, run a single coax digital connection (usually marked S/PDIF or something similar.)

Most PCs are pretty horrid environments for analog signals, although there are some exceptions to that rule.

1/8" mini connectors are also pretty horrid.

Leo Kerr

Eric Samonte

Screenwriter
Amen to that Leo. Use the digital connect if possible. Most soundcards nowadays have that anyway and running a single coax would be the most cost effective as well.

AaronCushing

Agent
Never thought about the coax. In truth, said computer (and soundcard) is at this point merely hypothetical. But soon it will exist, and when it does, there'll be a line between it and the receiver. Thanks guys.

Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Wayne
Leo’s right, those 1/8” jacks are abysmal. If you end up going that route instead of digital, I’d convert the whole thing to 1/4”. I’d start with a regular 1/8” stereo cable, clip one end and solder on an in-line 1/4” stereo jack. Shouldn’t be a problem - since you were entertaining the keystone-mounted 1/8” jack, that tells me you can solder.

From that point, you can run a shielded two-conductor cable for your signal. Solder a 1/4” stereo plug at the computer end, to mate with the in-line jack, and install a 1 /4” stereo jack into your blank keystone plate. From there you can use a stereo 1/4” to RCA “y” adapter, to get the signal to the receiver. Make sense?

Before you go to all this trouble, I suggest first running a “throw down” connection between the computer and receiver to see how it works. I tried this one time and had a nasty hum. As Leo noted, computers can be a bad source for analog audio signals.

Regards,
Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks