What's new

Sound Card.. HT 4 pc... (1 Viewer)

VictorS

Grip
Hm I see, my budget for the sound system would be around 800$ to 1200$ I'm considering a receiver in case in the futur I don't want my computer anymore and just a regular HTTV.
ah 5.1 would be my choice.

Sean Mc

Agent
Wow, with $1200 you could get some pretty nice stuff. I think getting a receiver with speakers is going to give you much better results than computer speakers if you're willing to spend that much. I think that's about how much I've spent on my own system and I'm very happy with it.

My system:
-Harman Kardon AVR-325 receiver from the ebay seller "harmanaudio" (this seller is how HK sells it's factory refurbished units that come with the full 2 year warranty) (about $360 shipped)
-Fluance SX-HTB 5.0 speaker system (about $300 shipped)
-Fluance SV-6s 2.0 to make it 7.0 so far (about $150 shipped)
-SVS PB10-ISD subwoofer (about $440 shipped since it was a preorder)

You can definately get some good stuff for the price range you're talking about. Naturally I'm biased towards Fluance since I own them, but you should look at the SX-HTB set. You get a really nice set of Floorstanding mains and a center and surrouds that are pretty decent too. Adding a sub and a receiver

Something else you might want to look at is the Rocket ELT / SVS combo that's advertised at the top of this forum. For $950 you get a 5.1 package with some very nice Rocket speakers and the same SVS sub that I have (it rocks). Then you just need to add a receiver. There's a ton on info in the receiver section to help you pick one out that would be right for you.

It's a good idea to try to listen to stuff if you can. This is pretty hard for stuff that's only available online, but you should go out and listen to some stuff anyway to get an idea of what you like.

How big is this room you're trying to fill by the way? It it's huge, it's going to be tough to make it loud on a low budget. It sounds like this is going to be mostly movies rather than music, is that right? If that's the case you're going to want a nice subwoofer since it really adds a lot to the system.

If you do a search for "$1200" or "$1000" here or at AVSforum you'll find a tons of other good suggestions. If you're willing to buy refurbished stuff, there are a lot of really good options for the saavy shopper.

Good Luck!

VictorS

Grip
Well thank you very much Sean MC
My room is about is a 3 wall room.. it's open it lead to the kitchen lol

it's not perfectly square it's more like that --- 188inch
/ 166 larg
- 168 inch
seems a little hard to get it lol anymore it's only 20 inch more longer on one side.

I dont want to buy stuff on the internet. But i have a future shop ( it owned from best buy) and i cant tell you some htin box i saw.. and im interested in. at least i can try them at the store and ur right it's more for movie and games ..

I saw at the best buy:
-Pioneer HTZ-940DV 1-Disc Home Theatre System but that a good 1200k can
-Panasonic SC-HT920S 5-Disc Home Theatre System 679$ can
-Samsung HTDS630T 5-Disc Home Theatre System 649$ can
-Pioneer/ Cerwin Vega home 5 x 100-watt Home Theatre Package. 900$ can

or if it more easier wich brand would be the most reliable between : Polk, Sharp,Panosinic, Toshiba. Pioner,Koss, JVC ,Hitachi, maybe sony lol but i dont like them.

Sean Mc

Agent
Are you sure you don't want to buy over the internet? Fluance is based in Canada if that makes any difference to you. I'm fairly certain you'll get better value from the SX-HTB set and a nice receiver with a modest sub than you'd get from a HTIB.

That room size shouldn't be much of a problem. Unless you have really high ceilings or something heh.

So the budget is $1200 canadian? So almost $1000 US?

Out of the companies you mentioned, I think Polk is probably the best regarded for speakers. Would you be able to get a 5.0 set of Polk speakers and a receiver in your budget? Good subs are hard to come by in retail stores, especially when you're on a tight budget.

The sub I had before my SVS was the dayton 10" from partsexpress. It's part number 300-632. It's only $99 and I highly recommend it over most HTIB subs, especially for the price.

I guess it comes down to personal preference though. If you can go and listen to these systems, then you should get whatever you like the best. Anything I say isn't going to matter if you don't like how it sounds. Go out and listen. If possible, try to go somewhere that has a side by side comparison of systems so you can hear what the differences are.

Just stay away from bose heh.

Are there any other electronic stores in your area? I feel like I keep mentioning this, but you might want to check out an onkyo set. Onkyo makes really nice receivers and pretty good speakers. Circuit City has a good selection of their stuff in the US... I don't know about Canada.

hometheaterinabox.com has some good info about various HTIB. If you look around the HTIB section of AVSforum I'm sure you'll find lots of opinions too.

Is there any chance of you could get to a Paradigm dealer? I did a quick search on Paradigm's website and there are a couple in Montreal. Paradigm Atoms are excellent value and quality. If you could get 2 pairs of Atoms and a matching center (like the CC-170) you could have a really excellent speaker package. I'm not sure how much these run in Canada, but I think it may be a possibility for you. I think a pair of Atoms runs about $250 US and the center might be about $200. I haven't shopped for paradigm though so I might be off. You might be able to get that 5.0 system and a moderate receiver in your budget. If I'm not too far off on the budget, you'll have spent about $700 US on those leaving you with $300-ish for a receiver.

I was going to recommend looking at the onkyo receivers at ecost.com (like the 602 on sale for $300 US) but I guess that really isn't an option for you. If best buy is your option, I'd say make a list of what they have available and then do some research online about the specific models. It's hard to say what would be best by just saying a brand. Receivers tend to be more hit or miss from a given company that speakers for example, where it's easier to say "get polk" because they are generally of good quality.

I would really recommend buying online if it's a possibility at all. You can get a lot better stuff than the options you mentioned if you're willing to do that. Is it a Canada thing? I know there are a lot of people on the various HT forums that are from Canada and they could point you in the right direction for places with good Canadian shipping policies.

VictorS

Grip
Lol It's just that im gonna get my tv tomorow.. and I cant wait for a shipment of speaker and sub + receiver lol I just wanna it now lol.. But It's true there is some paradigm store in montreal ( i actualy live there )
so i'll check for a set of speaker there and hear and see if thos are good.. hmm receiver maybe but the sub can wait.. so i may check over the internet for the sub.
I'll check for an onkyo receiver on the stores around.. if i can find any, hmm that DAYTON 10" 100 WATT POWERED SUBWOOFER looks interesting and cheap lol wich is good... okay i go look for thos paradigm at the store bbye lol

James Phung

Second Unit
I'd want to stray away from the HTIB solutions. Are you looking for small satellite setups? How do you feel about bookshelfs and floorstanding speakers?

Sean Mc

Agent
Did you try the Paradigm dealer? You might even be able to get them to lower the price a bit if you're getting a 5 speaker set from them.

That is the one I mentioned earlier, but it seems like $820 US is a ton for that system. Circuit city has it for $425 US over here. If there's that much of a mark up for this set, I wouldn't bother. It's probably better than the ones you mentioned before... maybe not. I didn't look the other ones up really.

See what you can get in a real receiver / speaker combo you put together yourself. I think some speakers are cheaper in Canada, you might be able to get a good deal.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks