What's new

Not sure if i am doing it right. Pc bedroom HT (1 Viewer)

In my bedroom i spend alot of time on my pc. I use it for Net / email / games / movies / and streaming news.

Most of the things on this list I got used or as display models, or have had for a while, so the equipment is not the greatest. mostly just showing what i have but its a mixmatch of items.

Here are my pc specs windows xp 32bit its overclocked a little, with a zalman cooler.

DualCore AMD Athlon 4050e, 2552 MHz (10.5 x 243)
Asus M3A (3 PCI, 2 PCI-E x1, 1 PCI-E x16, 4 DDR2 DIMM, Audio, Gigabit LAN) Motherboard Chipset AMD 770, AMD Hammer System 3072 MB (DDR2-800 DDR2 SDRAM)

Video Adapter ATI Radeon HD 4600 Series (1024 MB)
Video Adapter NVIDIA GeForce FX 5200 (Microsoft Corporation) (128 MB)

Multimedia: Audio Adapter Microsoft UAA Bus Driver for High Definition Audio [1002-AA38] [NoDB] Audio Adapter Realtek ALC883 @ ATI SB600 - High Definition Audio Controller Audio Adapter Realtek ALC883 @ Creative SB X-Fi Xtreme HD Audio Controller
Partitions: C: (NTFS) 232.9 GB (76.5 GB free) H: (NTFS) 931.5 GB (427.7 GB free) Total Size 1164.4 GB (504.2 GB free)

I actually have 4 gigs of ram (32 bit restrict) and will be moving to windows 7 64 bit when i get a chance to.

I have the pc hooked to 3 monitors. A Sony Bravia KDL-32M3000 32" LCD as my main monitor, off to the right is a 19" acer monitor i use only for winamp, the rainbar, and chat progs. At the foot of my bed right beside the pc is a Samsung HP-S507C3 50" plasma. The plasma goes directly to the Radeon cards HDMI port via a HDMI cable.

I have the onboard audio of my pc disabled, and going from the SB X-Fi Xtreme HD via an optical audio cable it runs to my Sony DAV-FR1. my 2 main speakers are 2 LG 48SA40, the center speaker is Sony ssts500 cube (i have the whole set), and the DAV-FR1 has 2 sub outs. So i have it wired to a LG SH92SB-W and a ssws500 subwoofer. The rears are Pioneer SH435FK.

When i use my computer to play videos, movies, or even games, i dont seem to feel the full 3d surround effect. left right center... rear... you know?
#1) I need to make my surround, an actual surround. Am I hooked up right?
#2) Id like to be able to play a video on the 50" and get the sound to come through the tvs speakers through the hdmi cable.

Also if anyone has any suggestions, or a better way to do this, i am open to input.

Will post pics if needed.

figured out how to get the audio through the hdmi cable. had to install the ati radon hd audio drivers, and then in windows media player under tools, devices, select ati audio hd.

Adam Gregorich

What to watch tonight?
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Adam
I'm not sure what you mean by:

When i use my computer to play videos, movies, or even games, i dont seem to feel the full 3d surround effect. left right center... rear... you know?#1) I need to make my surround, an actual surround. Am I hooked up right?

In a room where you have multiple displays in different locations you need to figure out which display you want to make the center of a surround sound system. I am assuming in your room its your PC monitor on the desk?

yes, the speakers are layed out as if the tv on the desk is the center focus. with the remote to the reciever i can make it do the speaker test and it individually will sound off each speaker. but running from the computer it seems like they arent acting like they are individual speakers. they all have sound coming from them when i play movies and games, but the 3d effect doesnt seem to be there.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks