What's new

Sound card and built-in sound question... (1 Viewer)

Ushabye

Projectionist
Real Name
Paul
I have a new PC with built in sound. If I install a sound card will the system automatically use this as the default or will I have to manually change it to now ignore the build in sound? P4 2.4ghz, 512mb, WXP.

John_Bonner

Supporting Actor
Pretty sure you have to change it in the BIOS.

What brand of motherboard is in the PC?
That's what I had to do with my Epox mobo.

Can anyone else help Paul with other motherboard brands?

Rob Gillespie

Senior HTF Member
If you have them both enabled you'll probably get conflicts. Just disable the onboard sound through the bios before you put the new one in.

JamesHl

Supporting Actor
The system will generally select an add-in card over the onboard sound as your primary sound device. You can disable it in the BIOS to avoid any potential problems, though.

Max Leung

Senior HTF Member
It is possible to have both working. You just tell windows in the audio control panel which card you want the sound directed to. At least, it's much better supported in Windows XP and Windows 98 with a recent version of DirectX.

Generally you'd want to disable onboard sound in the BIOS if you have an older motherboard (rule-of-thumb: not made in the last 18 months).

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks