What's new

Sorry, but I'm getting fed up with the fanboy crap in here (1 Viewer)

James D S

Screenwriter
HTF is great but we're too quick to defend the peace.
You lost me, buddy.

And Romier - I don't think you give the ignore feature enough credit. Give it a try. And when you do, I promise that what you see as a good forum will become a great forum.

Fanboys are cancer that do not belong on the HTF.

Joe michaels

Second Unit
If I say something that is an opinion, like "The X-Box is not worth it for me right now" I shouldn't have to back it up. If I say something like "The X-Box sucks and the GameCube rocks" then I expect someone to say something and ask me to back my opinion(s) up.
Yes but if you keep saying it over and over again, that's another matter. Especially in threads that don't necessarily pertain to it. If you don't particularily like a certain system why would you keep posting in threads about it? It's probably time to move on at that point.

Morgan Jolley

Senior HTF Member
Joe-

The thing is that I like the X-Box, never said I didn't. Right now, it doesn't appeal to me, but in a year, I will definitely have one. I post in threads about it to either give info based on reviews I have read (such as X game for PS2/GCN/PS2 is better than Y game on X-Box) or to clear things up and get other peoples' opinions (like when I asked if the claims that Halo gets boring fast were true). I constantly say "I like the X-Box, but don't want one right now" and that somehow turns me into a Nintendo fanboy.

BrianB

Senior HTF Member
I post in threads about it to either give info based on reviews I have read (such as X game for PS2/GCN/PS2 is better than Y game on X-Box)
So *why* did you post GC game stuff in a thread of "I've got an Xbox, what games will appeal to my kids?"??

Morgan Jolley

Senior HTF Member
Brian-

Based on the reviews I read, I was saying that there were VERY FEW X-Box games for kids, and of the ones that were available (or would be) they pretty much all sucked. I said that if the person wanted games for their kids, the GameCube was a better choice because its games are not heavy on violence or aimed at adults.

I wasn't preaching GameCube, I was just pointing out that there were more child-friendly games on it than the X-Box, so getting the GameCube would have been a better idea if the person wanted games for their kids.

Graeme Clark

Senior HTF Member
That's all fine and dandy, but it didn't answer his question at all.

If you had posted something like "Hey, I just got a Gamecube and would like to know what sports games are good for it?" (and I know you don't like sports games), which response would you prefer getting:

"Gamecube isn't very good for sports game. There's really only Madden and NHL Hitz, which are available on all systems anyway. You should have gotten an XBox"

or

"While the Gamecube doesn't have the best choice of sports games, there are a few you might want to give a try. Madden 2002 is out now, and you might want to give NHL Hitz or Tony Hawk a try (if you consider it a sports game). Fifa 2002 will be out soon and you may want to keep any eye out for All Star Baseball and anything from Sega."

Which one actually tries to answer the question asked? Which actually stayed on topic? Which doesn't sound like it's trying to introduce yet another console vs console debate?

Morgan Jolley

Senior HTF Member
If I had bought the GameCube for games other than sports and just wanted a sports game or two for fun (even though I don't like them much) then either response wouldn't bother me.

If I bought the GameCube solely for sports games, then I would expect for people to point out that its not a good console for sports games.

Also, I not only pointed out that the X-Box had few child-friendly games, but that the few that were sucked (of course, this is based on the general opinion I get from reviews and other people).

Jason Handy

Second Unit
Also, I not only pointed out that the X-Box had few child-friendly games, but that the few that were sucked (of course, this is based on the general opinion I get from reviews and other people).
You just can't stop that can you? It seems like you are UNABLE to keep your opinions out of things that you have no direct experience with. :thumbsdown:
Rehashing other people's opinions does not make for fruitful discussion..."well I heard from X site that this game was not worth the money, plus everybody else says it it sux..."
So, unless you OWN an Xbox or have actually played the game in question, it is probably better to keep a lid on it. And no, Xbox kiosks in the mall do NOT count. You have a GameCube. Fair enough - you have first hand experience with certain games like Rogue Squadron etc. Spread your opinions all you want on these games, but try to stop using the phrase "I heard from" or "the general opinion" because it is just pointless and does not advance the dialogue other than to put the thread back on the top of the stack so that other people with more informed opinions will see it.
Jason
STOP THE MADNESS!

Morgan Jolley

Senior HTF Member
Jason-

When three magazines, several websites, and other HTFers say a game sucks, should I just consider their opinions useless? If a friend wants to buy a game that I read (on several websites and several magazines) sucks, should I let him buy it anyway?

I know I have no experience with these games, so if anyone can prove the contrary (like say that they played the games) then they should. Otherwise, if I say something is what I read or heard, I make sure that its known that it is not my personal experience but is someone else's. Whats wrong with that?

Brad_W

Screenwriter
I have never seen so much hostility for someone that speaks their mind or refers to someone elses.

Again, I reiterate that I enjoy all systems and can find several reasons to buy them all including games to play on them. I am sure that almost everyone feels this way and that the few people that say I won't ever buy this system or that one are the only ones that will miss out.

Enjoy your counsels.

Dave Falasco

Screenwriter
I know I have no experience with these games, so if anyone can prove the contrary (like say that they played the games) then they should. Otherwise, if I say something is what I read or heard, I make sure that its known that it is not my personal experience but is someone else's. Whats wrong with that?
What's wrong with it is that you seem to post the same general anti-Xbox rhetoric over and over and over and over and over again, with little regard for the topic at hand. I'm not sure why we are not getting through to you, here. For months, member after member has said basically the same thing to you, and you still act honestly bewildered by the hostility that your posts now generate. That says to me that either you are almost unbelievably obstinate in your steadfast refusal to recognize what we've been screaming at you, or you just enjoy the perturbed reactions you provoke.

I come to this place because it is the only gaming forum I have found where people can honestly share their excitement over their respective systems or games without a bunch of idiots posting that their console SUX, etc. People here don't seem to have the rancor and hostility towards other consoles as seems to exist on other forums. Part of that is due to the fact that HTF tends to draw an older crowd, and part of that is the excellent moderation that goes on here. But a great many of your posts in the past, Morgan, have seemed to lean alarmingly towards those other types of posts, where the intent looks to be not to inform or to question, but essentially to rain on someone's parade.

I will concede that you seem to have toned it down in very recent times, and believe me I think we all appreciate it. There's nothing wrong with intelligent debate, or sincere questions, but sometimes wording is everything. For example, saying that you "heard multiplayer Halo supposedly sucks without a LAN" is pretty darn inflammatory, don't you think? It makes people think your intent is not to sincerely ask if what you heard was true (as you always protest afterwards), but to insult and put down the game. Maybe if you had said, "Such-and-such a site posted that playing split-screen Halo isn't as much fun, what do you guys who own it think?"

You may say it's just semantics, but sometimes the wording of a question is the difference between a fanboy argument and an honest debate.

Like I said, I give you credit for changing your approach recently, and maybe my post isn't as relevant now as it would have been a few weeks ago. But you still seemed to wonder exactly what all the fuss was about, so maybe this will help you understand what I, at least, had found so objectionable in your posts.

Morgan Jolley

Senior HTF Member
Actually, I said in another thread something along the lines of:

"I read on GameSpot and heard from some friends that multiplayer Halo is nothing without a LAN and that the main focus of its levels was for 16 people to play at once. If you are just using one console, then the whole thing is pointless because of its design for many people. Is this true?"

As you can see, I not only posted the opinion I got from the website (which was harsher than I put, plus it was from one of the website's employees and not a fanboy on the message boards), but I also explained why they said that and then asked if it was or was not true. I may not have done it in one sentence, but I didn't just say "Halo sucks without a LAN."

I have toned down my anti-XB posts (and I'm not even anti-XB, but rather just hear a lot of negative things) and yet people still complain. THAT is what I don't understand.

Dome Vongvises

Senior HTF Member
Personally, I hate fanboy crap too, but I can understand why it exists, and why I even get absorbed by its power. The appeal of the fanboy mentality is that you can sound off on something you love/hate with pure emotional gust without having to write a 200 page dissertation supporting your claims. Ask yourself this: When was the last time I used reason to govern my lust/love/hate?
Edit: I of course meaning you, not I I. Well, you get the point. :D

Ryan Peter

Screenwriter
This is what you think you said (at least how it sounds in your head):
).
No question to be found in what you really said. Reminds me of Homer Simpsons getting drunk and acting like an ass, when Marge asks him if he remember who he acted the night before, he pictures himself being a total gentleman.

Morgan Jolley

Senior HTF Member
That must be from another thread than I'm thinking of. I remember saying how one of the reviewers on GameSpot said that Halo wasn't that fun without a LAN to play against more than 3 people on because of the size of the levels and that the game itself got really boring after a while because the gameplay is too repetitive.

Since then, I have heard the same thing from people I talk to (who aren't fanboys) and have seen similar things on other websites that aren't fansite.

Max Leung

Senior HTF Member
But Morgan, for most people, the gameplay is anything BUT boring. I think you hang out with the "wrong" people. :)
It's interesting how influential first impressions are...if all of your friends tell you that the Fellowship of the Ring movie sucked (and not heard of any other reviews at the time), you will likely believe they are right and the rest of the world is wrong. Or, at the very least, you will EXPECT FOTR to suck, even if every other person said it is the greatest movie ever made.
And of course, if you only look for negative viewpoints, those will be the only responses you will find, as all the other viewpoints will be unconsciously ignored. Similar to a reverse-placebo effect.
It's a worldwide psychological phenomenon, and the reason why people have been needlessly killing each other for thousands of years...
This problem seems most prevalent in young people, particularly teenagers, and hence why the Army loves to recruit people in their teens. It also explains why nearly all fanboys are teens as well.

Mike__D

Supporting Actor
I think a big contributing factor to fanboy's being in their teens is that most can not afford all the systems. I know when I was younger I was die-hard Sega... owned the Master System and Genesis. But my 2nd year in college, I saw the light when Street Fighter II was released on SNES. I immediately bought it. Ever since I've bought whatever system I wanted, mostly because now I can afford too.

But, look at the car scene. You have fanboy's of Ford's, Chevy's and Dodge, and most are well into their adult years. Again, they can only afford one vehicle.

Of course I have no crediable evidence that supports what I just said. Just an observation of mine.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Feetman
Recent bookmarks